Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/17/14 at 00:38:30

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Suggestions 10' Speaker Cables (Read 11232 times)
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Re: Suggestions 10' Speaker Cables
Reply #15 - 08/18/13 at 06:31:20

Quote:
seikosha said,
I recently replaced the lowest version of Morrow with Paul's Clear Day shotgun cables.  I'm very happy.  These cables are more open and detailed in a natural way.

Hi seikosha, what equipment are you using with them?

Thanks!

IP Logged
marky
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 08/18/13 at 12:44:15

..checking my e-bay history..
35 feet 10 AWG Silver Teflon Wire Black 37 Strands 1000 Volt
cost $44
What I actually did was piggyback them onto my Isoldas at the SE3`s speaker terminals and  used them as  bi-wire pairs into the treble input of my m Logans. Thats when one of my el34`s decided to fail. I figured it was too much of a drain on the SE3`s.
Standalone and with my silver litz rewired Rega I`m afraid my patience ran out for a long  trial.
Ok I`ve just moved a speaker in from the right and swapped out my Isoldas and put Daves silver teflons in.
Listening to JL Hooker Cafe a Gogo. It`s not bad. Not bad at all. His voice sounds as natural, bass is nice sounding and comes over well. Yes it all sounds good, maybe not quite the sparkle and presence but with only 2-3 hrs on them it`s relieving that they dont sound duff.

« Last Edit: 08/18/13 at 12:45:39 by marky »  

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, CSP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DSC i/c`s, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s. Roksan Radius/Nima/high def cabl & M.BenzLP , M/L aeon i`s, Townshend Isolda sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains sub
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 08/18/13 at 14:16:38

That would be great if the shotguns worked, and they just might with your amp and speakers....Two 24 gauge wires are equal to one 21 gauge...I tried them with my 944s which are supposed to be 94db efficient and had no crossovers, but somehow I guess the single driver Omegas will feel different! Paul is such a nice guy, it would not surprise me if he came up with some double shotguns too...it would be great to hear your impressions. I look forward.....

Marky...is that silver coated copper? Must be for the price!

« Last Edit: 08/18/13 at 14:23:14 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
seikosha
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 08/18/13 at 18:55:08

Hi Beowulf,

I'm running my cable from a Mini Torii to Omega Super 3XRS speakers.

Here's a pic of my setup:

Mini Torii, SE84CKC, Omega Super3XRS, Oppo95 as Transport, Shiit Bifrost UBER Dac, PS Audio P3 Powerplant
  IP Logged
marky
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 08/18/13 at 20:16:46

Will, oops,  they wern`t Daves wire but from Johns Silver Teflon Shop   Smiley
He has, or had hundreds of wire deals of all descriptions. His site says he`s restocking. The strands form a solid core inside of a plastic sleeve. The teflon is the sleeve or what the silver is coated on ? The strands are stiff so I guess it silver on copper.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, CSP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DSC i/c`s, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s. Roksan Radius/Nima/high def cabl & M.BenzLP , M/L aeon i`s, Townshend Isolda sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains sub
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 08/19/13 at 03:36:58

Quote:
marky said,
Will, oops,  they wern`t Daves wire but from Johns Silver Teflon Shop

Ok, I was looking at Dave's site and wondering where those were.  Who did the re-wiring of your Rega?  What model is it?

Quote:
seikosha said,
I'm running my cable from a Mini Torii to Omega Super 3XRS speakers.

Oh ... OK I remember your awesome speakers from the Audio Circle Omega site ... sorry I did not put 2 and 2 together.  Very tranquil vibe you have going in your room (not to mention great equipment) and it must sound AWESOME! Cool

Is that the PS Audio P3?  Also, I see a lot of vinyl ... where's your TT?

IP Logged
marky
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 08/19/13 at 14:22:01

I did the rewiring on my RB300 from a Cardas Isokinetik kit.
Cant say it`s good to have 2 decks. The Rega was tested and ok
but the cart went back into my main deck so is waiting for the arrival of a new Decca so it can have the hand me down.

Seikosha - Thanks for the pic. Smashing unit. I guess your tt is isolated somewhere.

RE 10ft cables  Beowulf you have some Rega gear have you cosidered the Rega cables. I remember having yards of their old flatwire in the seethrough plastic casing. It was very good and inexpensive. I gave it all to my nephew for Xmas with a Naim nait 2.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #22 - 08/19/13 at 17:30:20

I won't get too wound up in the wire debate.. just because it's so subjective, but I'll throw in my .02 cents here.  I have tried dozens and dozens of different brands & types of IC's and speaker wire over the course of my 30+ years of chasing the audio holy grail in this hobby.  About 6-7 years ago now, I discovered Alpha-Core "Goertz", silver foil IC's and copper foil speaker wire.  They have remained my reference for a long time now.  I've tried others, and still own a few others, that I drag out and listen to every once in awhile against a newcomer or just to see if my opinion still holds... it does.  
My description of the Goertz is: "detail and resolution without fatigue or being forward"... they just sound "right" and make "music" most of the time, in most systems.  Occasionally, I'll hear a different wire that grabs my attention for a bit, but ultimately find it to be doing something "wrong" after extended listening.... back into the system go the Goertz.  
They do not advertise much at all.  Most philes have never heard of them.  They're main biz is making transformers and wire for transformer construction, and specialty apps., so they know a little bit about what they're doing - sound electrical engineering involved here - no snake-oil, fairy dust or voodoo science, which I also like and respect.  
I think they have discontinued the silver version of their speaker wire, just due to cost, but copper and silver IC's are still available.  I have several pairs of their silver IC's, both RCA and XLR.  I personally have not heard better - different, but not "better".
I have never owned their silver speaker cables, due to cost.  But I have a couple of copper versions of their speaker cables.  I find them, like their IC's, to be very, very good.  If you check audiogon, eBay, etc. you can generally pick them up for literally pennies on the dollar .vs. new price.  But even new, they are cheap compared to other boutique wire.  This makes it easy for you to give them a try and see how they work for you in your system.  I would recommend them to anybody.  I find that most people like them a lot... they might even get you off the hifi wire merry-go-round.!

Wink

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
seikosha
Verified Member

Reply #23 - 08/19/13 at 19:32:32

@a beowulf and marky.  You twoa re very astute.  Here's the TT situation:  I've recently gotten back into audio after a really long 20+ year hiatus.  I never sold my vinyl from the first time I was into it.  As I've gotten back into audio I did buy a Music Hall 2.2 turntable, but to be honest, the sound I'm getting out of it is not really exceeding what I'm hearing out of my Oppo.

I'm guessing that it has to do with the generic cartridge that came with the unit, or maybe it's the Musical Fidelity phono preamp .  So the TT isn't even set up right now as it was frustrating for me when I did have it going.  I plan on starting to fool with it again soon because I think there's a lot in that vinyl that I'm not hearing right now and I just need to figure out how to get there.

Mini Torii, SE84CKC, Omega Super3XRS, Oppo95 as Transport, Shiit Bifrost UBER Dac, PS Audio P3 Powerplant
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 08/19/13 at 23:38:45

Quote:
maddog07 said,
I discovered Alpha-Core "Goertz", silver foil IC's and copper foil speaker wire.

Thanks!  I contacted and asked them a couple questions and the cost to make a set, lets see what they have to say.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #25 - 08/20/13 at 00:14:19

interesting... you want something custom that they don't stock?  they offer all kinds of std. lengths and spade or banana termination, RCA or Neutrik XLR - what more do you need?

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 08/20/13 at 00:18:47

Quote:
maddog07 said,
interesting... you want something custom that they don't stock?  they offer all kinds of std. lengths and spade or banana termination, RCA or Neutrik XLR - what more do you need?

What's the website as the one I went to was Goertz Audio so I'm assuming I went to the wrong place! Grin

Also was it the M1 or AG series of cabling?

« Last Edit: 08/20/13 at 00:21:13 by beowulf »  
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 08/20/13 at 00:23:57

Quote:
marky said,
RE 10ft cables  Beowulf you have some Rega gear have you cosidered the Rega cables. I remember having yards of their old flatwire in the seethrough plastic casing. It was very good and inexpensive. I gave it all to my nephew for Xmas with a Naim nait 2.

Yes, I actually have a Rega Couple 2 interconnect that sounds quite nice so that is something for me to consider as well, but I've heard that the previous generation of Rega cables was better than the current line up.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #28 - 08/20/13 at 00:27:18

this one -->
http://www.goertzaudio.com/contents/en-us/d1_Goertz_Audio_Store.html
select what you're ordering, either speaker cable(copper only offered these days) or copper IC's or silver IC's, then the pages have boxes for selecting length and termination.  I have ordered from them directly before, cables and copper foil inductors - have received good service.  Have spoken to them on the phone as well.  Probably have bought most of my Goertz wire used from audiogon, eBay, Craigslist, etc....

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 08/20/13 at 08:48:35

Morrow cables ...

Ok, so these guys have the marketing thing down!  I contacted their website inquiring about which cables to use with my gear ... and I also mentioned that I had a friend (Will Wink) that told me he tried the SP4's, didn't like them and upgraded to the SP5 model and he recommended that I go to the SP5 or higher model as well ... but I only had a budget of $350 so I wasn't sold on the SP4's.

Well, the first email I got back was from Mike Morrow and he said that "your friend" didn't let them burn in long enough, yada yada yada and that's why the bass didn't sound great.  Mike then said he still recommended the SP4 despite what my friend said and that my budget wasn't enough to get into a 10' pair of SP5's.  So I checked them off the list as a potential cable and moved on to look at some other vendors.

Well yesterday I got an email from Mike Morrow saying that he would give me an additional discount on a pair of SP4's and that I should really try them.  I didn't respond back to him as I still am not interested in the SP4's.

Then today I got ANOTHER email from Mike Morrow saying ... I still don't know why you haven't made a purchase even with the discount I offered you.  Tell me what cables you want and how much you want to spend and I'll try to make it happen.

Now I realize this could just be an auto responder marketing tool, but I'm starting to think that these guys start with their prices incredibly high and then keep marking them down until they get a sale from you.  I've also read on the Audiogon forum that it was very difficult to get your money back from Morrow as they will instead keep insisting/offering you higher and higher cabling up their food chain.

So this leads me to believe that whatever model of cables you buy from them must have some serious mark ups in the first place in order to give such substantial discounts to unsatisfied customers down the line.

I'm just thinking I should offer him $350 for a 10' pair of SP6's and see what he has to say ... but then again are the cables really even worth that? Huh

« Last Edit: 08/20/13 at 08:49:06 by beowulf »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print