Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: Power Cords
Reply #15 - 08/15/13 at 16:10:13

I have a very low budget Shunyata (3S) that I got from Mike here on the forum. It's nice if a little bright for the application I wanted to use it in initially, but. . . I'll just say politely "it's no great shakes." I prefer the sound of the cheapest PS Audio cord that I have (the Jewel, which I paid about the same money for). It hasn't inspired me to go up the Shunyata chain.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #16 - 08/15/13 at 16:40:49

I'm quite pleased with the "middle of the pack" PSA power cords as well.  But I am certainly not against at least listening to something new and/or different.  There is an "objectivist" side of me, that only allows me to wonder so far down the "wire" path of lunacy.  If the manufacturer can present a reasonable explanation of why their product is superior and that explanation is actually applicable to the transmission of audible frequencies thru a given length of wire, then I'm "all ears" so-to-speak.  But when a company starts inventing complex gizmo's to fix problems that don't exist or have already been solved, just to demonstrate, "hey look what this does to the signal", without a clear explanation as to why their new solution to a non-existent problem is even applicable to the sound coming out of a speaker... then it’s time to step back and ask oneself, just WTF are they trying to pull here?
Please don't misunderstand, I am NOT bashing Shunyata or any other company in the hi-end wire biz, I'm just saying, when a piece of wire is marketed at the price point of a very good main component, we need to approach with extreme skepticism and caution.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 08/15/13 at 20:12:44

Quote:
mad dog said,
So please report back to us your impressions when you hear some Shunyata Etron cables in your system – I am anxious to hear the impressions people have of this new technology involving the passing of audible frequencies thru wire.

LOL, I doubt that will be any time soon.  Power cables are at the bottom of my list of priorities.  As of right now, all my power cables are just the stock ones and I look at the price of $595 for one of the entry level cables just south of a nice used CSP2+ which is what I'd really rather put the funds towards.  But I do still see $595 as being reasonable for a high quality power cable (in comparison to a lot of others who charge exhuberant amounts often 10 times the cost of a Decware amplifier).  

Maybe one may show up on the used market in a couple of years that could sell for much less and I would give it a go.

Quote:
Lon said,
I have a very low budget Shunyata (3S) that I got from Mike here on the forum. It's nice if a little bright for the application I wanted to use it in initially, but. . . I'll just say politely "it's no great shakes." I prefer the sound of the cheapest PS Audio cord that I have (the Jewel, which I paid about the same money for). It hasn't inspired me to go up the Shunyata chain.

Haha ... I think you're just spoiled by the sound of those garden hose sized AC12's Grin ... I'm sure a lot of power cords pale in comparison to those.

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 08/15/13 at 20:45:22

Lon, sorry the Shunyata didn't work out the greatest for you.

I still have a $150 Shunyata Venom III (less 12% plus free shipping from MD) I'm using in my second system, and I found the sound "softened up" after 300+ hours of play time.  It still is a little on the bright side, I will admit.  Nowhere as near as nice as my Grover Huffman power cords, but those are $350.

I'm still ok with the Shunyata, but now I doubt if it might be the best choice (in it's price range) in a digital system (I'm all analog).

Mike in Seattle area

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #19 - 08/15/13 at 21:31:03

No H, I was comparing it to a PS Audio Jewel cord that cost about the same new and that cord was less bright and a bit more dynamic. Neither is anything like the AC-12 but I don't expect them to be.

Mike, for the price it does a good job and I'm currently using it with a Marantz Blu-ray player which has a sort of "muddy" sonic nature with other cords and it is a better fit than with a few other components. I got a great price and great transaction with you in every way and thanks!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print