Send Topic Print
2013 DECFEST THREAD (Read 12301 times)
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Re: 2013 DECFEST THREAD
Reply #90 - 10/20/13 at 21:03:50

Quote:
Will said,
The Tranquility team had very good ears and minds. They got where they were going with repeated blind testing in multiple systems, and comparisons to master tapes. They surprised themselves that they could not get more of what they liked with high res and async. And if you think about it, you would have to be a fool in this Hi-Res/async world to try to market a NOS DAC if you did not feel it was solidly better.

Last February Eric Hider sent me an email that said to be on the lookout for a battery powered 32/384 DAC that can play any resolution at native.  They said it was going to be a few months which would have been June/July, so they must have had some delays getting it into production.

You should hold out if you are that pleased with the Tranquility at 44.1/16 ... I can imagine the 32/384 DAC will not be a disappointment since they have been working on it for a while now. Cool

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #91 - 10/25/13 at 22:56:17

Quote:
Hi Gang, I've just been browsing back through my favourite Decware threads (I see my first input was back in 2006). I will keep browsing.
It is great to see Decware products are still putting the rest to shame.
It has probably been mentioned already (I haven't read that far), but when is Decfest 2014. I'm due for some holidays. A trip to ole Blimey is on the cards and maybe I can squeeze in a visit to USA.
Cheers,
Valiant
aka
Gary

Gary... Dec/Zenfest is always the first full weekend of October as I understand it.  I went in 2012 and this year... and that's when it was. So for 2014, that would be October 3, 4 and 5th.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #92 - 10/25/13 at 23:40:45

I too was seduced by the ERR's at Zenfest 2012... but at that time was way into my 1st DIY single, full-range, high-efficiency, xoverless speaker build (think HDT-like), so didn't pursue the ERR's at that time.  My goal at the 2012 fest was "amplification" for my DIY's, which led me initially to a SE34 and then my current Torii MK.III.
I was surprised to see the ERR disappear from the Decware website earlier this year.. but then learned they were being replaced by the new ERRx - so that explained that.  
Then I just saw them at Zenfest a few weeks ago, but for some reason, I was never around when they were actually in the listening room and thus never heard them.

Since they are now available for purchase in the "new" section of the website, I may have to give a pair a go in 2014.  Despite their excellent 2-ch stereo listening potential, I cannot imagine a better speaker for HT duty.... can you imagine two pair of these - Front L/R and rear L/R surround?  I'll bet good $$$ it would be better than a 5, 6 or maybe even 7 ch setup w/conventional speakers in terms of the all encompassing sound field produced..!!!  

Back at the 2012 fest, I was also impressed by the 945.  So much so, that I bought a pair about a month before this year’s fest, and took delivery while I was there.  Got them breaking in now.

I gotta tell ya, for me personally, I prefer the sound of the 945 in its stock form, without the dust cap/phase plug mod. and without the passive TL bass extension stands.  Yep, it’s a novel approach to bass extension as we’ve come to expect from Steve & Co., and it works.  However,  I've been a "boxless" speaker convert for 20+ years, stats, planar ribbons, etc.  I have six different pairs of speakers on-hand right now as I have come to accept that no one type of speaker does everything the best for all types of music in all room acoustical situations.  Three pair in my existing stable are boxless types.  I guess I've just become too acclimated to the pure sound of these types of speakers where there is no box resonances or colorations.  IMHO the 945 exhibits far less “awk” coloration in its monitor form.. I choose to add the last couple of octaves, with authority to the extent I desire via the remote volume control, of a Velodyne powered sub... total sonic picture is much cleaner to my ears... of course YMMV.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #93 - 10/26/13 at 02:55:48

I know people are using the ERRs for HT Duty, but I on the other hand like my dialog aimed directly at me.  It's the most important part of the movie and I think movie soundtracks in general are meant to be separated by pinpoint sounds and deviances.  I cannot imagine the dialog and other parts of a soundtrack radiating all over the room would be all that great (but of course this is just my opinion and I've never had the pleasure of listening to the ERRs).

I think a speaker like the 945 or 944 would be much more enjoyable for movie playback (especially the center channel).  For surrounds I think ERRs would be pretty cool, but way too expensive.

IP Logged
Valiant

Reply #94 - 03/13/14 at 15:48:33

Hi Steve, Gary (Valiant) from Australia.
Any dates for the 2014 DECFEST?
I can possibly squeeze in a 2 week teleport to the US, would like to pick up a trip to Kennedy Space Centre, or Houston.
Cheers,
Gary

IP Logged
Lin

Reply #95 - 03/13/14 at 22:47:48

First weekend in October.
3rd 4th and 5th in 2014.

CSP2 ~ Original Blue Torii ~ and a frightfully large amount of other bits and pieces.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print