Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
08/23/14 at 12:33:33

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Red Book Transport Recommendation (Read 3363 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: Red Book Transport Recommendation
Reply #15 - 07/15/13 at 16:04:53

I can definitely see the appeal of the EQ, and I've an ear for it, used to do some recording and analog mastering and had some good results.

I'm just done with "going to the next level" in audio playback. I'll leave that to you other pioneers! Smiley Right now I need music to be my escape route and need to focus my efforts elsewhere. My new life is far more challenging than I thought it would be, and at the same time limiting my relaxation and stress relief far more than I thought it would. ARGH. Luckily I have great systems that get the job done when I need it most and don't have to put those together. They're at a good point to just stop and smell the playback roses with, thank goodness.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
ihmeyers
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 07/15/13 at 20:45:26

Anyone have any insights into the Esoteric DV50s?  I have an opportunity to buy one from a friend and the reviews I have read are very favorable.  If it's better than my SF Transport/Wyred4Sound Dac I could replace 2 pieces of equipment.

It's a universal player so at least I'd be able to play SACD, etc in addition to Red Book since I am not ready to convert to PC-based just yet.  :)

A man's gotta make at least one bet a day, else he could be walking around lucky and never know it.
  IP Logged
ihmeyers
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 07/15/13 at 21:07:52

Dumb question re PC based audio.

I was out of high-end audio for a long time, more than a decade (moving around, job responsibilities, etc.)  At the time I put my system in storage it was sate-of-the-art (SF Transport/DAC, CJ Preamp, Audio Note monoblocks, Wisdom speakers, dedicated audio room, etc.).  In this incarnation of high-end enjoyment I have dramatically simplified/downsized; 'phones only, Decware Taboo/CSP2+, SF Transport/W4S DAC.

In the time I was away everything seemed to transition to PC audio but I have no idea how to build a PC based high-end system nor where to acquire the music?  I have fast/robust PC's all over my house and could convert one but what exactly do I need in terms of hardware?  Is it better to get a media server already set-up for the process?  Are there sites where I can download 24/192k music or do I have to rip all of my CDs (~1000).

Thanks very much.

Ian

« Last Edit: 07/15/13 at 21:08:53 by ihmeyers »  

A man's gotta make at least one bet a day, else he could be walking around lucky and never know it.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 07/16/13 at 00:07:45

There has been a lot of development in computer audio over the last several years, but not a total shift as far as I can see. Still loads of non-computer music being played. I don't know the best place to learn about it if you take an interest, but computeraudiophile.com has a lot of info and opinion! There are threads here also, probably in the ZDAC area. Maybe search computer?

I don't know the story as well as many, but here are some starting points. I chose a Mac Mini because I like Macs, but as much because they were tried and true as quiet audio players. They are made to be cool and efficient and therefore use pretty good (quiet) parts, and the solid aluminum case is a good thing...good for keeping out exterior noise and vibration reduction, and also for cooling without fans.

A main thing to consider with a PC is noise. Those cables do not just move digital data to DAC, but also electronic noise...so a quiet computer is a big deal as far as I can tell. A computer devoted to audio only, with the system as simplified as possible, will give the most attention to the audio app while using the computer resources minimally. Enough memory counts..the better audio players pull files to memory while turning off non-essential (for audio) system activity, but those I have talked with who have tested find that more memory is generally better sounding, again, chilling out computer electronics use. I found (as many have) that external drives are a better place for the music than internal, not using the system dirve except for essential stuff. And since my DAC is USB, I use a Firewire drive, leaving the USB buss for the DAC activity. And finally, at least with my system, the cables matter...different USB cables sounding different.

There do appear to be good server/players out there now, but I know nothing about them. Probably the easiest way to get going, but it limits DAC choices. Not sure that matters if the server DAC is great though. I am just one for flexibility, and you have a good DAC.

I really enjoy how my Tranquility DAC pulls the beauty from uncompressed, error free redbook, so I have not looked at highres. You can download highres files though...I think there are several places to do this, but HDtracks is one. You can also rip CDs with error correction software that accesses online databases for comparison, but also the software can more slowly correct data problems if the files are not in the databases.

I hope this covers the basic stuff.

« Last Edit: 07/16/13 at 00:55:38 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #19 - 08/14/13 at 20:21:34

Mr. Meyers right some months back:

Now I'm thinking maybe I want both the PS Audio DAC2 and the Memory Wave Transport.  It's 50% off for the combo at PS Audio for another few weeks (which leads me to believe they are introducing a new DAC/Tranpsort).  I think the wife will kill me if I spend another $4k on the combo plus that still leaves me with the W4S DAC and the transport I would have to sell.  I guess the W4S DAC will sell pretty quickly...

This deal is still there at musicdirect.com and I sprang for it. . . I love this combo so much and as I now have two Torii Mk IIIs and will soon have two pair of HR-1s. . . why not two of the PWD Mk II and PWT? These are amazing components. I still have heard nothing that compares to the I2S over HDMI from the Transport into the DAC Mk II for Redbook. This is the sound for me. And this is a deal for the quality you get.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
ihmeyers
Verified Member

Reply #20 - 08/14/13 at 20:45:33

Geez, "Mr." Meyers. Feel free to call me Ian, lol.

I really like my transport especially now that I bought a Q cable for my Audeze LCD-2.  I plan on adding the DAC2 in the near future.  I would have by now but the Martin Logans in my video system crapped out and the wife figured as long as we needed to replace the speakers "why not buy a nice AV cabinet for the TV and oh, can you cleanup the wires (required new shorter run speaker cables and interconnects) so $2k later there goes the $$$ for the DAC.  ;D

Ian

« Last Edit: 08/14/13 at 20:48:55 by ihmeyers »  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #21 - 08/14/13 at 20:55:52

Yes, Ian (sorry) It is hard to see that money go elsewhere. . but. . .the cabinet will be nice as well, and perhaps in time. . . .:) Audio hope springs eternal.

IP Logged
ihmeyers
Verified Member

Reply #22 - 08/14/13 at 21:06:37

I had a really nice audio rack from my dedicated music room days (Zoethecus) and the TV on a decent $300 glass stand with cables running to the components on the rack.

The wife decided she wanted a nice piece of furniture because though everything sounded great, "the room looked like hell."  I can't really dispute that so we bought a solid AV cabinet.  Nice piece of furniture but lousy for vibration control.  Good thing my Decware system is on a smaller Zoethecus rack in another room.  But yeah, ate up my upgrade budget not including what I am going to have to spend to replace the Martin Logans.  I am looking at a pair of Cabasses as replacements because they are really efficient so if I ever decide to add speakers to my Decware system all I have to do is buy speakers for the family room video system.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #23 - 08/14/13 at 21:32:39

Sounds like a great plan.

I have two Mapleshade Samson racks, a V.2 and a V.3 and I view them as important components of my system, and everything looks great. In time I might buy another V.3 for the second system IF I find I'm going to be here long enough to warrant carrying it up the stairs! Smiley

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 08/14/13 at 23:51:31

Quote:
Lon said,
This deal is still there at musicdirect.com and I sprang for it.

This is such a great deal, even though I have all of 15 CD's I would spring for it too if I had the bucks!

I wonder if they are trying to clear out some inventory to make way for a new transport or something ... perhaps a universal player?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #25 - 08/15/13 at 02:13:28

McGowan replied to a query on his forum that they were not discontinuing anything, and the new products coming out are an amplifier and a phono stage/ADC.

It may be that the deal is really over (wasn't supposed to last this long at least initially) but I had saved this link, and as of today it still works;

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-139699-ps-audio-pwd-perfectwave-dac-mkii-pwt-memory...

It's odd, you can buy one by itself, or with the DAC Mk II, both for the same price. Similarly the PS Audio Dectet was true six weeks or so ago either by itself or as a package with a power cord and five PS Audio outlets for the same price. That doesn't seem to be active still.

I shouldn't have done it, but . . . well I'm doing a lot of things I shouldn't so I wa able to sneak that one in.

« Last Edit: 08/15/13 at 02:18:06 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #26 - 08/15/13 at 21:55:29

Got them in today. Wow. . . can't tell you how cool it is to have a Duo downstairs in the main system, and a Duo upstairs in the second system.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 08/16/13 at 00:32:48

You go Lon!  Do you like the Black or Silver components?  Black always seems to stay in style and Silver has it's ups and downs, but still cool ... The silver would especially look cool next to some Apple stuff such as a Mac Mini though.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #28 - 08/16/13 at 12:05:20

This deal only seems to be for black, though I would probably have gone silver if I could for this one, just to be different; the first is black. (No Mac Minis, I don't mix computer and audio, not a combo I like).

PS Audio sent out a notice about their new phono stage/vinyl ripper and mentioned there are only "a few" more of the deal sets available, and not directly from PS Audio, only from Music Direct. Deal is almost done.

EDIT TO AD: well silver seems available now, perhaps it was when I ordered. I would have ordered black anyway.

« Last Edit: 08/16/13 at 17:59:48 by Lon »  

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #29 - 08/16/13 at 12:45:13

Thanks Lon, for the Music Direct Link!
I ordered mine!

The Primaluna ships back today. Only Decware will do!

This does mean, I have to hold off on the Mystery Amp though.... .
However, this PS Audio Digital Front End Deal....I could not pass up!

My Living Room System, Bedroom System & Garage System/Patio too, are some good Hi-Fi.... .
My Listening Room just became even more Organic with this front end coming in.....I have no doubt!  

-Stone (VERY HAPPY)

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats