Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
12/19/14 at 04:01:57

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Couple of questions on New Mini Torii (Read 3084 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: Couple of questions on New Mini Torii
Reply #15 - 03/13/14 at 13:01:06

Not really a difference, nearly every "conditioner" uses "filters."

Conditioners and filters aren't necessarily designed to remove hum, but rather to remove RF and EMF noise and to protect the equipment.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
jorgen

Reply #16 - 03/13/14 at 13:05:35

Spoke to a local guy on the phone today, he runs his own shop, tubeamps only. He stated that in his experience 9/10 tubeamps he had heard had a hum, nothing to worry about. He also meant that the hum would not increase in volume lineary with increased sensibility in speakers. I would still hear it up close, but wouldnt be a "showstopper".

IP Logged
nightsky
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 03/15/14 at 08:11:10

Hi Jorgen,

Have you read the article Steve wrote on troubleshooting hum problems?
http://www.decware.com/paper41.htm

IP Logged
jorgen

Reply #18 - 03/19/14 at 23:55:20

One thing completly different that i wanted to ask you guys. I know its stated that the MT doesnt really need a preamp, and at the moment i dont use one. The thing is that it seldom comes a preamp (or any other other) decware gear) up for sale with 240 volt. At the moment I have a CSP2+ within reach for about USD 650..
Will it be a noticeable upgrade with the MT?
How will the CSP2+ be as a pure headphone amp? I have another room where I plan to (sometime down the road) have a headphone setup , but i was kind of opting for a Taboo...

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 03/20/14 at 06:10:11

Tough questions.

I would say you have to try it for yourself and decide. I personally would not put a preamp with the mini torii, but that is just me. You may benefit from the whole riding the gain thing.

I would snap up the opportunity to get a used 240 volt CSP2+ because like you said they don't come around that often. On the other hand, you can always get a new CSP3 or Taboo at some point later instead.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 03/20/14 at 12:15:02

Jorgen I'd pick it up that's a great deal if it's pristine.  

JD

IP Logged
jorgen

Reply #21 - 03/26/14 at 12:32:20

Seikosha /others as well
Got my speakers a short week ago. The hum issue is still there. But i have to say, to hear any hum I will have to be pretty close to the speaker. If surroundings are dead quiet i can hear them from a couple of feet away. When there is music, i do not notice anything at all. In conclusion this means I will not do anything in way of sending it or "bother" Steve with this, it just isnt a problem big enough to worry about. I have read the article mentioned earlier, and will do so again to see if there is something I can figure out and do something about.

I have decided to buy the CSP2+ if still available in a few weeks. I consider this to be an extra treat to myself and I can use it both as a preamp and for headphones so I believe i can have good use of it. I have to wait a little though (so if the guy has a buyer I will have to let it go elsewhere)
At the moment im really enjoying the result I have now with the MT and the Omegas. Its just music.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #22 - 03/26/14 at 13:30:10

Great news jorgen! Enjoy the music. . . .

Perhaps you could ask the seller to hold it for you for a few weeks? I was asked that on a few items a few years ago and it wasn't a problem for me. . . .

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 04/20/14 at 16:37:39

Hello Jorgen and everyone else,

I own a mini torii and I have experimented extensively with different parts, mostly so that I could get a personal idea of how sound can be shaped by rolling resistors and caps, not just tubes.

I have a pair of 10inch fullrange Nirvanas (rated at about 94db-96db).

Initially I had no hum whatsoever, the Mt was remarkably silent. Deadsilent if I remember correctly.

I will spare you the rest of the story, but somewhere along the line, after changing the electrolytic ps caps to huge Solen 47uf and the 6x4 cap to a smaller 10uf (down from 47uf), hum creeped in. It was ok, since I could not hear it from the listening position.
Until some time ago, when it became louder. I constantly mod the amp, so I had neglected to listen to changes in hum level specifically.
I spent about 2 weeks hunting the issue down, changing resistors from kiwame to ww mills, suspecting my carbon film 47k plate resistors etc, tightening up bolts....
Until I put in 2 huge 47uf obbligato caps instead of the 10uf rectifier caps I had, thus returning to Steve's original value.

Hum is almost gone.

The amp itself makes a little hum, so I have it on carbon cones with a heavy rock and a statue of Buddha on top of the main transformers.

From a Zen perspective, we can see that Buddha statues are very useful.

In the past I had hum issues with a few input tubes, that are just inherently noisy. New Mullard 12ax7 and Tung sol I believe, I cannot be more precise. I suppose you have a variety of input tubes that you have tried, although the stock complement was quiet in my case and probably in yours too.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print