Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/23/14 at 07:00:00

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Non-audiophiles notice power treatment improvement (Read 12705 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: Non-audiophiles notice power treatment improvement
Reply #90 - 05/28/14 at 18:32:17

I got the Furutechs for about fifty bucks, that's not TOO much. These fancy fuses make a difference in my main system and even in this one at Mom and Dad's.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #91 - 09/04/14 at 01:42:52

Well, I made two changes today.

After months of just running the excellent California Audio changer directly into the Torii Mk II, I reintroduced the CSP2. I removed it because I had only one free Cryoset Version 2 interconnect to use in the system and that interconnect almost achieved all the CSP2 might and I thought that there would be a bit of a transparency gain. Well maybe there was, i was very happy with the sound for some time.

But when I bought my second VooDoo Cable "Ultralinear" interconnect that freed up a second Cryoset Version 2 to use in this system, and I reintroduced the CSP2. Wow. Immediately my Dad, not knowing what I had done, said "I think all of a sudden the sound is richer." I'd agree.

I also had swapped out two Decware Silver Reference power cords from the system and replaced them with My Audio Cables Burly power cords. One runs from the wall to the PS Audio Duet, the other from the Duet to the Torii Mk III. I connected the CSP2 with one of the Decware Silver References freed from use. I know this has contributed to the "richness" as well as the dynamic contrast that I think I hear a bit more clearly on the right recordings.

Listening to Beethoven piano and cello duet recordings and they sound wonderful. And this is only a few hours into the change. Ah, it's nice to have a great system here.

PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #92 - 09/13/14 at 14:51:24

Just an update in this thread in correlation to my post about the KT66 tubes in the Mk III amps.

I decided to try cryo'd Tung-Sol KT66 in the Torii Mk II here at my parents system (well, all components except the cabinet are mine now) and am very pleased. They add that fullness and richness that the KT66 tube type brought to my home systems. I'm keeping them in. Dad didn't know I had made any changes as he was out of the room at the time and he remarked twice that the cds that were playing sounded really good. . . and asked me to turn it up a bit after that. Good sign!

My next thing to ponder is. . . should I bring over my older Torii Mk III from the second system and put that in place here. I listen more here than anywhere else, and why shouldn't I have my second best system here? I could also swap out the CSP2 preamp in use here at Dad's with the CSP2+ that is currently sitting in the closet at home. Should be an upgrade. I'll ponder that a bit.

« Last Edit: 09/13/14 at 15:00:13 by Lon »  

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #93 - 09/13/14 at 19:16:39

Hey Lon,

How would compare 5V4s with 5V3s?

Thanks,
Will

« Last Edit: 09/13/14 at 19:17:02 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #94 - 09/13/14 at 20:46:56

Will, they're similar but I haven't been able to compare directly, I only have one of one and a pair of the other.

« Last Edit: 09/13/14 at 20:53:21 by Lon »  

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #95 - 09/13/14 at 21:07:48

OK Thanks! I have been trying some 5V4s after one of your posts elsewhere. Interesting, with a little more forward, open and punchy midrange and more bass. I guess they may be putting a little more DC through??? I think I like them, but have to get them under my skin! 5U4G-STs have been my main tube so long!

« Last Edit: 09/13/14 at 21:08:20 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #96 - 09/23/14 at 00:57:57

Well, I installed both Mundorf Supreme caps and Mundorf metal oxide resistors in the ERRs in this system with very posiive results. The caps are certainly still breaking in but are beginning to bloom and have a very endearing smooth and yet detailed presentation, this is a very good move forward to a better sound from violins, instruments that are often played on this system! Also there's a bit more body to the instruments and a bit more depth of sound. This is increasing tiny bits every day. Not the cheapest of tweaks, BUT I'm very glad that I went in this direction.

I also before hand had brought over to this system three pairs of VooDoo Cable "Evolution" interconnects that had been moved to my second system when I bought two used "Ultralinear" cables and one "Stradivarious" used cable for the main system. These cables really have been an improvment in very similar ways to the Mundorf caps, but also producing a bigger, fuller sound. Good move.

I've been thinking of moving my older Torii Mk III and the CSP2+ that I don't have in use over here, I mean I do most of my listening here and hardly listen to my second system at my place. Still when I do listen to that second system it's with Lucy and she loves the sound. So I think I'll just bring the CSP2+ over here to replace my trusty old CSP2 with and see how that transforms the system. I may play with bringing some of the better power cords in the second system over here as well.

It's fun having this system to play with and even more fun to listen to! Thank goodness I discovered the California Labs CL-10, it's a giant killer changer.

« Last Edit: 09/23/14 at 01:27:12 by Lon »  

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #97 - 09/23/14 at 01:39:21

Great news you like the Mundorfs and Mundorfs Lon. You will likely hear refinements for a couple hundred hours. Sound like that system is really your primary system, and that it is really coming into itself beautifully.

« Last Edit: 09/23/14 at 01:41:09 by will »  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #98 - 09/23/14 at 01:46:21

Well, I'm still "loyal" to my main system at home which is gobsmackingly good in sound in a way that crushes this system at my Dad's, and I do spend about 60 percent or so of the time listening to that than I do the one at my parents (by missing out on sleep!). But yes, I do listen to the system at my parents more and it has grown in fidelity over the year and a half I've been caring for my parents, and it is really sounding good, and the room here is twice as nice as my own which helps a lot.

I couldn't get through this caregiving if it weren't for the music (not my first choice of music, but what Dad wants to listen to is really good stuff too). So it's a blessing to have this great sound here. I know that it will continue to evolve and improve. . . because I do spend so much time here.

« Last Edit: 09/23/14 at 13:07:30 by Lon »  

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #99 - 09/23/14 at 12:28:50

Lon,

Did you go with the mundorf metal oxide resistors that are 3.9 ohm?  Has anyone changed resisters that were of a diff ohm?  I've changed my caps and are looking into the resistors next.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #100 - 09/23/14 at 13:04:13

What works best in MY system is HIGH ohms resistors. I went with 56 ohm. Smiley

Very sweet and mellodious sound, I used the same resistors in all three of my speakers (my two pair of HR-1s and my ERRs). I've ordered a set of the M-Resistor Supremes, 33 ohm, for my main system HR-1s just to see what they would do.

« Last Edit: 09/23/14 at 13:05:40 by Lon »  

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #101 - 09/23/14 at 16:24:18

JD,

I have written a lot on this elsewhere...maybe the ERR or HR-1 threads on caps or both.

But here is what I found out from experimenting.

We know that raising the resistor value gives more resistance, lowering the tweeter volume, or lowering the resistor value makes the tweeter louder. If I like the general level of what I have, equal to equal value would seem the thing to do. But like cables, different wire and construction changes the sound, and this is a factor with the Mundorf M-Resist resistors in my experience.

The Mundorf M-Supreme 20 watt resistors are more solid and smooth sounding, not reducing detail, but feeling less bright than same value Wirewounds (likely the stock resistor).

In my HR-1s, I started with 3 ohm wirewounds, and ended up with 2R7 (2.7) Mundorfs to compensate for the Mundorf sound change. It theoretically lets through more volume, but it just sounds really good, balanced and if anything, less bright feeling.

So if you like the balance with a 3.9, and think you might want a similar sense of treble (or perhaps a touch more) but smoother and more musical, for a Mundorf M-Resist, a 3R3 might be a good choice.

« Last Edit: 09/23/14 at 18:53:31 by will »  

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #102 - 09/24/14 at 00:23:11

very cool thanks for the advice

JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #103 - 10/13/14 at 15:48:29

Well, this system at my parents' is sounding really good.

The Mundorf Supreme capacitors are probably fully broken in and the tonal and timbral details are improved, very nice indeed. I also believe the Mundorf resistors have made a significant change.

I've also played power tube musical chairs. I put a new quad of cryo'd TAD KT66 into my main system, and took the Gold Lion Genelax KT66 that were there into this system at my parents', moving the Tung-Sol KT66 there to my second system at home (bedroom system).

The TAD seem to be doing really well in the main system and the Gold Lions are a much better fit for the Torii Mk II here at my parents' than the Tung-Sols. Just a bit richer and easier treble, which helps with all the classical music spinnning here. I also put 7308s in the Torii Mk II and in all positions on the CSP2+ and those have burned in nicely giving a great platform for the other tubes in the Torii Mk II. My next step sometime this week is to bring over better power cords from my second system at home and incorporate them here, which should yield a further improvement. Then I'll be done until . . . well I'm thinking of thinning out my audio herd, selling my PWD Mk II and PWT and my Arcam SACD player, and perhaps my C Zen amp modified by Eddie Vaughn and my CSP2 and ZStage. If I do and net enough coin I may buy a P5 or P10 and then can move my PPP to my second system and the PS Audio Dectet over here to my parents, or vice versa. That should make a further improvement.

« Last Edit: 10/13/14 at 15:49:04 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #104 - 10/19/14 at 22:18:52

Wow. What a couple of power cords can do.

I removed a few components from my second system (probably will sell them) and that freed up some power cords, and I did some shuffling around and moved two PS Audio xStream Premier SC power cords to the system at my parents' place.

I replaced the My Audio Cables Hefty power cord that ran from the outlet to the PS Audio Dectet with one of the Premier SCs, and the My Audio Cables Hefty power cord running from the Dectet to the Torii Mk II with the other Premier SC.  I put the two Heftys in place of the Decware Silver References that I had running from Dectet to the CSP2+ and the California Audio Labs CL-10.

The tonal balance is a bit warmer and the music is a bit less forward. Both of which are improvements for this system. I'm happy! I'm done for a while, going to just sit back and listen. (Promise!)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print