Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
11/23/14 at 04:58:23

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Non-audiophiles notice power treatment improvement (Read 14571 times)
highstream
Verified Member

Re: Non-audiophiles notice power treatment improvement
Reply #45 - 10/22/13 at 08:23:55

Lon, you mentioned pulling the MAC HC in favor of a Shunyata cord.  Which one?  Curious because I got several HCs a few months ago, shortly before Steve changed company names and then has since gone silent.  With my desktop speakers, Focal CMS 40, I've been mostly satisfied with the HCs, but wanting to look at other possibilities, especially in terms of tonal balance and warmth. Thanks,

« Last Edit: 10/22/13 at 08:24:42 by highstream »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #46 - 10/22/13 at 11:54:57

I used a Shunyata "Venom S" for source components. It really does lower noise within the component, more so than the HC did. As this is a tuner/DAC the change was actually visible on the FM tuner meters. Sound was really nice, but I wouldn't use this cord on amps, it's designed for smaller current draws.

This cord really needed burn in even though I bought it used from Mike. It took a week idling on another component for it to show its warmth, which it has.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
highstream
Verified Member

Reply #47 - 10/22/13 at 16:04:34

Thanks. I've been wondering whether one of the better lower cost name brand cords would make a difference.  The Focals are powered speakers, each with a pair of 25w AB amps for highs and lows.  I should ask them if the S would cut it.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #48 - 10/22/13 at 16:13:10

I would think the regular Shunyata Venom would be a better fit. I think it's less shielded but it's beefier and they RAVE about that cord all over the internet. Yes it's more expensive but for an amplifier I would think it would be well worth investigating.

Here's the info for Venom Source from music direct. I highlighted the final bit of the description.

Shunyata Venom 3 Source Power Cable

Dedicated Shunyata Power for Your Source Components

A much needed complement to the Venom series, Shunyata has created the Venom 3 Source, designed specifically for lower current draw components such as CD or Blu-Ray players, turntables, phono stages or even preamps. The Venom 3 Source delivers most of the performance of a standard Venom 3 on source gear for a fraction of the price, making this perhaps the biggest bang for the buck cable Shunyata has created in years!

Essentially identical to the Venom 3 but with smaller 14AWG conductors, the Venom 3 Source is the perfect way to upgrade any system. The Venom 3 Source feeds your components more power, faster, with vastly lower distortion than stock power cables for an instantly audible improvement in tonal richness, imaging/soundstaging and overall dynamic range.

Although the Venom 3 Source may be used on virtually any device, we highly recommend that amplifiers, power conditioners and any other high-current draw device use the heavier gauge Venom 3.

Features:
Corrosion Resistant Contacts
Shunyata-designed Medical Grade Connectors
Pure OFC (oxygen free) copper wiring
RFI/EMI shielding
UL Listed
Construction:
Geometry: Twist-link
Conductors: 3
Flexible .5" diameter
14AWG stranded conductors

« Last Edit: 10/22/13 at 16:17:53 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
highstream
Verified Member

Reply #49 - 10/22/13 at 16:40:04

Yes, I read that, and Shunyata is not alone in this cord distinction.  I can afford Venom 3, but it's the "high current" that's made me wonder. I didn't think powered desktop speakers are high current, especially given that this nearfield setup isn't about loud volumes (sitting 3' from the speakers in a spare bedroom).  The specs show 47k ohm impedance, fuse rating 800mA.  

« Last Edit: 10/22/13 at 16:41:51 by highstream »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #50 - 10/22/13 at 16:47:03

Okay. It's been my experience that even when one would not expect it, the more you can aid and abet current draw the better. In your shoes, I'd go with the 12 gauge cord. But the 14 may work really well, and if the manufacturer suggests all the better. Best of luck! My money is on you hearing a significant improvement.

« Last Edit: 10/22/13 at 16:47:44 by Lon »  

IP Logged
highstream
Verified Member

Reply #51 - 10/22/13 at 16:54:38

Thanks!

IP Logged
highstream
Verified Member

Reply #52 - 10/22/13 at 19:58:13

Here's what Shunyata had to say:

We feel the Venom 3s will be able to handle these, yes but would recommend the standard Venom 3 if funds allow.  Possibly do an evaluation of them both and decide for yourself?

Currently, these are the Venom 3 options:
Venom 3s $75 (sufficient)
Venom 3 $150 (recommended)
Venom 3 HC $295 (more than you likely need Smiley

I went ahead and ordered three from Music Direct, getting a quantity discount and 30 days to find out.  Thanks,

« Last Edit: 10/22/13 at 20:30:03 by highstream »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #53 - 10/22/13 at 20:13:53

Interesting response. Some good quality comparisons ahead. Be sure to give these each some time to settle in.

IP Logged
highstream
Verified Member

Reply #54 - 11/11/13 at 01:48:51

I've now had time to burnin three Venom 3's and they did add a nice dose of warmth and a bit more of a lot of things to my desktop setup and TV speakers.  So, thanks for the advice.

During this time, I also tried out the Mapleshade Clearview Power Conditioning Strip.  It had a whole lot to recommend it, much along the lines of the two-part review of Clearview cables and accessories in EnjoytheMusic.com in 2002, but also added a bottom to top brightness that the reviewer also noticed, and here turned everything cold again.  So I resold it.  Some people like "sound" - transparency, detail, soundstage, etc. - but tonal accuracy and natural warmth come first for me.  

Btw, I've got a three 3' MAC HC power cords and two Silver Quad + ICs (3', 5'), bought this past Spring just before the company name change, that I'm going to market soon, in case anyone is interested.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #55 - 12/06/13 at 13:48:10

highstream, sorry missed this post before. Good news that the Venoms worked out for you. And you know, not surprised about the Mapleshade component. I too appreciate natural tonality above everything else really, that's the "root."

I've decided the Zen C modded by Eddie Vaughan sounds much better with the cryo'd EL84s, the other tubes just have a touch of that coldness. My second pair of HR-1s are in the "finish curing" stage so that means that soon I'll be able to bring the ERRs over to Dad's system. Really looking forward to that. Hope the C has enough OOOMPH for Dad's room! I think that between the gobs of gain the Marantz and CSP2 have to offer it should be okay.

IP Logged
highstream
Verified Member

Reply #56 - 12/06/13 at 21:09:12

Actually, I'm going to say the Venom 3 hasn't worked out as hoped, at least beyond increase in warmth.  Changed computer system outlet to Maestro and ran the computer's 3 straight to it, leaving the speakers' 3's through computer console.   Result was across the board brightness and nasel/raspy voices even after burnin.  Got a WyWires silver pc there now and tonally closer to what I'm looking for.  Shoulder surgery prevents swapping outlets for awhile, to check that side of it.  The Venom 3 to a Grant Fidelity Tube-Dac 11 on my TV setup, however, opened things up a lot, though I still think a touch tonally elevated.  Amazing how much power cords can affect things.  Going to look at Cullen and maybe Triode Labs PCs.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #57 - 12/06/13 at 21:33:24

Interesting. Yes, it' is amazing what power cords do. So many possibilities really.

It's sometimes fun, and sometimes frustrating playing round with them.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 12/07/13 at 04:53:19

I am somewhat disappointed to hear this about your Shunyata power cables.  I have been researching them out as of late and you would think that with all their hi-tech DTCD (Dynamic Transient Current Delivery) Analyzers, etc. (that they tout so highly of) by now they would have figured out the holy grail of cables.  

I have seen forums full of fan boys that seem to think that their power cables are more important than the actual amps and speakers!  I've read 30 page threads that relate to just the burn-in aspect of their cables.

Sometimes I just wonder WTF?  Do people just shout out about a certain vendor because they spent their money on it or does it really work? Grin

IP Logged
highstream
Verified Member

Reply #59 - 12/07/13 at 06:39:56

The Shunyata Venom 3 PCs were among the most lauded, especially for the money, in a review of 13 cords by Absolute Sound in 2012, which along with their price is why they get so much attention.  In addition, it's important to recognize that how a cord sounds can be system specific.  That said, my priority is on the musical content of recordings, e.g. timbre, including tonal accuracy, rather than how it ‘sounds’ in the more traditional audiophile ‘sonic’ sense.  That puts me in a minority, to which you may or may not belong.  On that score, the Venom 3 has many wonderful qualities but hasn't quite cut it in my systems, although I say that with the caveat about the Maestro outlet (and Porter for my TV system).  Remember, the Venom 3 is relatively cheap as audiophile market power cords go, so one can't expect everything.

A poorly matched power cord can make a great amp or speaker or whatever come out much worse than it should, no less so than an interconnect can.  The main reason for those lengthy burnin discussions is the naysayers; they should be politely told to check things out for themselves and otherwise ignored.  

« Last Edit: 12/07/13 at 06:40:30 by highstream »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Send Topic Print