Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
08/28/14 at 10:16:27

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Non-audiophiles notice power treatment improvement (Read 10254 times)
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Re: Non-audiophiles notice power treatment improvement
Reply #30 - 09/11/13 at 06:43:53

Quote:
Well the California Audio Lab CL-10 was a bust. Not reading discs properly Too bad as this is a beautifully built unit, and the changer transport is the nicest and heaviest duty I've ever seen.

I guess I missed the part about you picking CL-10 up?  Also, thanks for all the detailed posts about the power cables, very interesting and you have given me a few good ideas to try once I get to that point.

The bonding you're doing with your folks is nice to follow as well and I'm experiencing some of the same things with my 14 year old son ... trying different things with the audio gear, etc. and just spending time with him rather than him with his nose stuck in youtube videos and xbox Cool

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #31 - 09/11/13 at 10:55:02

I talked about the CL-10 here somewhere. Yes, it's nice to be spending all this time with my parents. Would be really nice for all of us to be spending less!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #32 - 09/21/13 at 13:17:08

Well, I'm very happy with the Mapleshade Double Helix speaker cables I put into my main system, so I put the Decware Styx speaker cables I had been using for years into Dad's system, replacing some thin Monster Cable wire I put there about ten or more years ago.

This has really removed my biggest complaint about the sound of that system, a treble grit that was most apparent using the MAC Ultra Silver + interconnects (those don't leave anything anywhere to hide). The sound is smoother and yet no detail is lost. Interestingly the sound-field has narrowed a bit but that's fine.

Really enjoying the sound. This particular change is very important to me but my parents really haven't noticed it. I think it's because their high frequency hearing is more compromised than mine.

My next plan is to splice an IEC connector onto the Denon cd carousel and try a few power cords there to find a good fit, should make a bit of difference in bass response and dynamics. And then when my  new CSP2+ is back from Decware (I'm sending it back because the stepped attenuator was not added as I requested) I'll put my trusty old CSP2+ in place of the ZStage and expect an improvement there. And then whenever Bob completes and ships my second pair of HR-1s I'll put the ERRs in this system and I expect to really be wowed!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #33 - 09/21/13 at 16:30:57

Wow, spoiling your parents!  :'(

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #34 - 09/21/13 at 18:31:45

Well, I am there almost all my waking hours, every day, so what I'm doing is trying to give myself the best listening experience that I can as I listen to their stereo far more than I do either of mine!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #35 - 09/22/13 at 12:51:39

Cabling is so interesting. I pulled a Decware cord from the system that was feeding my PS Audio Duet before because with the earlier speaker wire I found that an Analysis Plus Pro power cord made the treble sweeter at the expense of a bit of bass. Now with the Styx in place, I put the Decware cord back in between the Duet and the wall and left it warm up over night and now the bass is back, a bit of body is there that wasn't before and the treble is still fine.

Sometimes tube rolling and cable switching drives me nuts, but I have learned how things interact and sometimes you can improve your sound easily using them.

« Last Edit: 09/22/13 at 13:10:16 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #36 - 10/15/13 at 15:53:22

Man, the Styx have really made a difference in this system. Just dialed the frequency balance in and has really increased the "PRAT" factor.

Can't wait to drop the CSP2 into this system, hopefully soon (still haven't received the CSP2+ I bought and was accidentally sent to someone else) and eventually the ERRs (four and a half months so far waiting for me second pair of HR-1s.)

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 10/15/13 at 16:06:51

OH Man Lon!  4 1/2 months wait so far for your HR-1s?  I ordered mine on September 19th....which would be Feb. or March 2014 arrival with some luck.  Yesterday I finally unpacked a pair of Zu Audio Soul speakers  and have begun the very painful break in, positioning and tweeking...still not there!  I hooked them up to an old Kenwood SS Amp and I'm beating the piss out of them with high volume Led Zeppelin II over and over again....they must submit!  Mark.  PS...of course I'm not in the room while this torture is occurring.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #38 - 10/15/13 at 16:15:12

Megadeath works well for speaker break-in!

I think Lon's wait was exacerbated with Bob's heart surgery and recovery taking him out of the shop for a while. I'm sure he'll get caught up soon.

You guys have me thinking about ERRs. LOL

mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 10/15/13 at 16:25:02

LR,  I'm not familiar with Megadeath.  The fact that you're 14 years younger than I am may explain this.  I have the  CD Box set of Led Zep's studio work...plenty of speaker abuse in there...  Mark.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #40 - 10/15/13 at 18:25:58

That was somewhat tongue-in-cheek recommendation. You really have to like Megadeath in order to want to beat speakers up with it.   Grin

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #41 - 10/17/13 at 12:51:43

I've gone back and forth with output tubes in this hotrod C amp and have decided to stick with cryo'd JJ EL84s. They just have a richness that the system loves, even if they are a little slower.

I should have my new CSP2+ with beeswax caps finally from Decware today and will put my trusty old CSP2 in Dad's system shortly thereafter (though maybe Saturday as all of Friday will be taken up with a very important medical test for Dad).

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #42 - 10/19/13 at 16:49:03

Alright! Thursday I got the CSP2+ with beeswax caps from Steve (finally, the correct one) and last night I put my trusty old CSP2 into Dad's system in place of the ZStage. I let it run in overnight and came over to listen today (my sister is in town from Richmond giving me some time away from my parents' for the weekend, hallelujah!)

Immediately I can tell the difference: robust sound with body. I really like what the ZStage did but this is clearly more to my preference, even with brand new 6N1Ps in all positions and an RCA 5Y3GT that has seen a lot of use as the rectifier. Should be even sweeter as the new tubes "burn in." (Interestingly Steve sent me three with silicon damping bands on them, never done that before).

Music is really sounding great here. I got in a new ten cd set of Mozart orchestral pieces and Dad is just loving the sound and the music. Can't wait (but obviously will have to) til the ERRs can be dropped into this system (when my new HR-1s are built and arrive.)

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #43 - 10/19/13 at 17:12:40

I imagine that would be a fantastic sounding system when completed!

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #44 - 10/19/13 at 18:21:03

At the moment it's limited by the cd changer. Dad doesn't want a single well cd player which would allow me a lot of choices, even a few of which I have on hand. The Denon changer is okay as a transport and the Marantz tuner/processor is a little bit better as a DAC, but I'd rather have a half a dozen other possible combos in use. I picked up a CAL-10 which is supposed to be the best changer ever made, but it is having a problem that may be laser related, I'll take it apart and see what I can see of that and see if there is anywhere that I can get it serviced/examined. With a better transport I could consider a better DAC. And have a magnificent system. The room is very good, just naturally, and that's a killer foundation. Wish I had that room at my place.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print