Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/24/14 at 20:01:25

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
High Pitched Squeal from MT (Read 4552 times)
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Re: High Pitched Squeal from MT
Reply #15 - 04/25/13 at 01:57:52

I'm glad to learn your troubles are over. I'm very pleased with my RFT's, but I got them NIB from Tubemonger.  I agree with your conclusion about a possible bad RFT lot in your case.

« Last Edit: 04/25/13 at 02:16:23 by Fireblade »  

Laptop-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct//WD 2.0Tb HDD//Audio Gd USB cable//Audio Gd NFB 3 (2014) DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish Pwr Cord
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 04/25/13 at 03:19:41

That is what happens when you buy from the bad batch of rejects out there.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Ron

Reply #17 - 04/25/13 at 23:44:12

Fireblade: I am loving the EZ80 rectifiers! Thanks again for the recommendation!

Thinking about popping the TungSol 6V6GT Reissue power tubes in there, have you used the TungSol 12AT7 Reissue, what about the svetlana? I know they are both made by the same company in the same factory.

Just trying to find a less expensive new production tube complement that I enjoy listening to.

Mini Torii; Custom Mark Audio A12P SuperPensils; Kenwood KD-2055 TT; Audio-Research PH3 Phono Pre
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #19 - 04/26/13 at 01:11:15

I'm no tube expert by any means, but my current views about tubes in the Mini relate to either my own experience or testimonials from experienced Mini owners, whom I trust.

I currently favor 6V6 output tubes almost exclusively in the Mini, as in my view, the amp was voiced against those. There are alternative exceptions, of course, but these are less likely to beat a good 6V6 option, and more expensive.

I have two output tubes I prefer so far, and both are relatively inexpensive: The black glass Reflektor Plant, a Russian NOS 6V6, and the current production Tung-Sol 6V6GT's.

The first is my favorite, as it has all the transparency and pace I expect, and at the same time offer a warm flavor without high/low frequency roll off.

The second choice has more power (volume) and is very transparent, but with less pace and may tend to overdo the highs, when pushed. Depending on the recorded material, I interchange them within the same complement setup.

If it was not for the still very affordable black glass Reflektor 6V6, I would stick to current production 6V6's, as the sound differences, risks and investment are less evident. My only caveat here is the JJ 6V6, a tube lacking pace and volume and dull sounding to my ears.

I have not tried current production Tung-Sol 12a(?)7 alternatives yet, since my current preferred drivers (NOS Brimar 12 at7's) keep me happy. I suspect these new tubes may not make much of an impact, though. The driver position in this circuit is very important for sound tuning, and maybe here a good NOS is worth the risks. Some forum members really like the current production Psvane 12at7's, but these are really expensive.  YMMV, so if you are curious, check the Tung-Sol drivers and let us know.

« Last Edit: 04/26/13 at 02:05:12 by Fireblade »  

Laptop-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct//WD 2.0Tb HDD//Audio Gd USB cable//Audio Gd NFB 3 (2014) DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish Pwr Cord
  IP Logged
grinnell

Reply #20 - 04/26/13 at 15:58:11

I have played with 3 different power tubes in the MT.  

The Reflector 6v6GT
Very nice all around sound

40's RCA 6v6g ST
These rock, got nice bass, good punch and top end, nice depth in stage

Art Valve 350
These are nice but mellow lack some bass, very different from the the other tubes  airy sound nice sound stage

MT w/ 1940's RCA 6v6g st
Ref 3A de Capos
VPI HW-19 mk iv
Mac Tuna MR-67
MH 25.2 CDP
  IP Logged
TubeNut
Verified Member

Bliss is..playing
Lp's through my Mini
Torii :D

Reply #21 - 05/13/13 at 18:55:16

This is a very cool thread!! A positive outcome for Ron I hope...Fireblade, I have a MT on order as we speak...it's "on the bench". My palms are sweating due to anticipation to hear this little beast! I will refer back to this thread for your tube rolling suggestions if I decide to try it. It's comforting that we have helpful members like you who have experience with these issues...
I once had a girlfriend with a "high pitched squeal"...no troubleshooting needed for that, tho Tongue

'65 Fisher FM-100C Tuner-Linn Sondek LP12 TT w/Origin Live Silver Tonearm & Ortofon X5-MC Cartridge-Decware Mini Torii II-Anti-Cable IC's & Speaker cables-VH Audio Flavor #2 Power Cord-1975 Altec-Lansing Model 874A Segovia speakers-1974 Marantz Imperial 6G speaker
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #22 - 05/15/13 at 00:26:26

TubeNut,

Thanks for the kind words. You have to consider my particular opinions are a reflection of room, components and personal taste variables, and that my actual tube rolling experience is relatively limited.

Having said that, I do share the excitement of my fellow Decwarites, so whatever experiences and opinions we disclose in this forum are well intentioned and obey a common passion for good music and sound.

I'm sure you will greatly enjoy your new Mini Torii/DM945 combo. Welcome to the forum.

« Last Edit: 05/15/13 at 00:31:02 by Fireblade »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print