Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/19/14 at 07:02:23

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Help a newbie set up a system? (Read 4876 times)
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Help a newbie set up a system?
Reply #15 - 05/02/13 at 03:00:53

What I get from this thread is that whatever choices you make, you will very likely really love what you get once you get it sorted out! Fun times ahead!

Here is the Weight and Body thread:
http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1360355711

There is definately a thing with running through a crossover, and in having longer cable runs, but it can be done well, and people do it all the time...Another area of care. Starting with really transparent and well implemented gear seems to be the first step, and you are looking at all good stuff.

As you will see in the thread, if memory serves, DBC has chosen to run two sets of cables from his select....one to the Mid-Bass units, and and one to his speakers...So they are overlaid so to speak...and he loves the sound. I think it is a really nice thread and worth reading through.

As to the Zen versus Rachael, again options abound if you want more volume of the Zen or to nudge the sound one way or another (or both)....you could use a Zstage, or CSP2+ to add volume, weight, more tube magic, to warm or clean up the sound, and more... As Tube pres, they are voiced in Steve's chosen way, but they are not cast in stone. With tubes and cables you can make them more or less in all the tonal ranges.

Alternately, if you started with one Zen, and thought you needed more umph, (or additionally to the CSP2+ or Zstage) you could get the purist SE sound from the Zen by adding another Zen bridged to mono...more than doubling the power of a single Zen...

I am not advocating this per say, but it sounds like a good option that could be quite flexible as a possibility...the single Zen, the MID-BASS unit and the Zus.....Or you could just start with the Zen and Zus..

But again, it really does seem you could have a really engaging set up wherever you go with this range of gear you are looking at. I loved my pre-Rachael SE34...people love the Zen, the Taboo...the Torii...we are lucky.

PS: never underestimate the front end. It is where it all starts and anything lost there is never regained!!! DACS and computer/servers and how they are implimented make or break a system or system synergy, and it is bigtime important!

« Last Edit: 05/02/13 at 03:31:58 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
garnold
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 05/02/13 at 15:44:56

marky:
Quote:
Well one thing, or two things for sure is that the efficiency of your speaker choice means volume wont be an issue whatever your amp choice, and you`ll be getting Jupitor caps as stock. Those Jupitors must be something else.

Yeah, it seems like the speakers I've been looking at in the 96-101dB range should be plenty loud powered by just about anything.  I think I'll still ping Sean at Zu to get his opinion on my amp and speaker choice for the room size.

And now it's Jupiter caps vs V-caps vs beeswax caps!  Even more choices!  No, I think I'll just troll the forums for people's opinions on the various options whatever amp I choose has available.  It could become truly overwhelming, otherwise.  :)

IP Logged
garnold
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 05/02/13 at 15:53:07

will:
Quote:
What I get from this thread is that whatever choices you make, you will very likely really love what you get once you get it sorted out! Fun times ahead!

Oh, I'm sure it's going to be a blast playing with all the new toys when the time comes!  I just have to move into the new place and double check my money, first... *taps foot*

Quote:
As you will see in the thread, if memory serves, DBC has chosen to run two sets of cables from his select....one to the Mid-Bass units, and and one to his speakers...So they are overlaid so to speak...and he loves the sound. I think it is a really nice thread and worth reading through.

Ah, ok.  I understand, now.  Thanks!  I'm plowing through that thread right now.

Thanks for all the info and advice and opinion on the various amps on offer from Decware.  I think I'll need to call Steve sometime soon and talk with him about what I listen to and what I'm looking for and see what he thinks.  It's hard to resist ordering two different amps just to play around...

Quote:
PS: never underestimate the front end. It is where it all starts and anything lost there is never regained!!! DACS and computer/servers and how they are implimented make or break a system or system synergy, and it is bigtime important!

Yes.  I've been building up the software I'll be running on the server side (for both music and movies), and am looking at running all the digital content from a Sonos music streamer.  I'm trying to make a smart DAC choice at the beginning -- I think the difference between a $300 and a $3000 DAC will be less apparent to me at this point in my audiophile career than, say, the same difference in the amp or speakers.  Spending my initial money where I get the most obvious quality for the dollar, so to speak.  ;)

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 05/02/13 at 19:16:45

Now that you have so much sorted in your mind, I think you are right on in talking with Steve first (may have input on speakers too) and then Sean.

The 300-3000 DAC numbers are pretty arbitrary, and it does seem the gaps are quickly narrowing relative to quality versus expense, but please don't underestimate your body/mind's perception of sound and source impact on that. What are by comparison "subtle" differences can add up to a big deal in terms of being captivated by the music or not, and the thinking mind can't always figure out why....the beauty part this gear can bring to your life...that indescribable naturalness of authentic musical presentation. You will be amazed I think. It really is a different league.

In your budget considerations, and with the rapid refinement of DAC technology, I don't think it has to cost too much to get enough of these subtle qualities these days either. It seems more a matter of eking out the most for the least without sacrifice rather than whether you can get cost efficient beauty or not. That synergy of parts thing.

So I might suggest that after you narrow down the DAC choices that appeal, I would really try to read between the lines of all the spectacular technological specs and all, and listen for the feeling the listeners are getting from the DAC.

Quote:
And now it's Jupiter caps vs V-caps vs beeswax caps!  Even more choices!  No, I think I'll just troll the forums for people's opinions on the various options whatever amp I choose has available.

From what I have read and from my limited personal experience with the two, I would tend to the Jupiter Beeswax.... likely a safer bet...in that IF one has problems with V-caps, it tends to be that they can be a little analytical and coolish. The very revealing Jupiters in my Zstage don't feel this way to me, but are exceptionally "not there" in their presentation. They are nice.

But this is another great question for Steve when you talk. He will know what to expect and how to explain the difference for the various amps.

« Last Edit: 05/02/13 at 19:24:43 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
garnold
Verified Member

Reply #19 - 05/04/13 at 02:13:46

See, look at me showing my ignorance...Jupiter vs beeswax.  Duh, same thing!

I'm getting back from a vacation and beginning moving in mid-May, so I think I'll be hitting up Steve and Sean about how I should go about planning my first setup, as well as looking at the suggestions here and coming up with some plans.

I may also see if I can find a reason for work to send me to Newport for T.H.E. Show -- Zu isn't listed as an exhibitor, but Zu's site says they'll be there.  Maybe I can drop by the Zu room, hmmm...  :)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print