Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/23/14 at 18:18:28

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Torii MkIII with KT77, KT88, 6550??? (Read 5486 times)
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Torii MkIII with KT77, KT88, 6550???
Reply #15 - 08/16/13 at 18:18:52

I think you have a good point there too. Who knows though. You deserve a little luck!

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #16 - 08/16/13 at 18:36:58

I won't argue that! I was lucky enough to have ten days off from my parental care and a trip on the Fat Bob to Texas and back, which was amazing and rejuvenating and about to end. . . .

Enjoying more hours with my systems now right before I go back to not hearing it at all often again. Sounds awesome, both systems, different but . . awesome. We're all lucky we have gotten this far on our audio paths.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 08/16/13 at 23:07:09

I am using the 61NP as well. I hear ya, $400 per quad is a gamble.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 08/16/13 at 23:26:34

I'm using Psvane 6ca7-t that i got for 300 a while back and they are my favorite.  I like em better than even my reissued mullards and definitely the jj's.

JD

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 08/31/13 at 19:27:34

Grand Fidelity has just posted this to the EL34PH page.

Stock update: Some previous users reported tube pins too rigid or reliability issue. We have discussed with manufacturer to tighten up our quality control criteria to ensure all our customers to receive as high quality as possible tubes from us. We stand behind our warranty 100% and all current stock has been re-screened for the new criteria. Please purchase with confidence and we will be here to service your needs.

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 10/12/13 at 20:56:54

Yes, do not buy from folks direct in China for PSVANE. I did so and my PSVANE Type II EL34 almost damaged my EL34.1 after one month. I'd like to try some more and the metal base PSVANE El34 but will have to go through a reputable dealer.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 10/12/13 at 22:29:36

I've only gone through grantfidelity out of vancouver(i believe) and they are reliable.

JD

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 10/21/13 at 03:33:07

Well, this time I got a little longer life out of my Cyro JJ's 6AC7's, 8 months! That is the longest I have had a set last. So no more JJ's for me. One tubes always starts to go a month or two before it complete stops working. It will start to get noisy and when changing the bias switch or input switch will cause a loud pop through the speaker (side with the bad tube). It's possible maybe the Torri is malfunctioning and the cause premature failure, but the only way to find out is to change tube brand. All my other tubes seem to last forever.

I just ordered a Cyro quad of Genalex Gold Lion KT77 's from Ron at CyroSet and also some Genelex Gold Lion ECC88 / 6922 Gold Pin. Both of these tubes get rave reviews so we will see how they sound in the Torri.

Its seem the internet reviews all agree that the Gold Lion KT77's sound better then any other new production EL34 and the fact it is a drop in replacement, I have high hopes. Yes, no more CCE mod, but I just can't afford to replace the JJ's twice a year.  

I will still eventually try the Psvane El34PH, but will first test the KT77's as I need backup tubes anyway.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 10/21/13 at 04:17:44

Thanks for diving in OC. I look forward to your impressions! I have been running cryo'd Mullard EL34 reissues lately.

« Last Edit: 10/21/13 at 04:18:07 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #24 - 10/21/13 at 12:35:26

OC, where do you get your JJ tubes from?

I've been getting my JJ from http://www.eurotubes.com/

Granted, this is because I buy them for guitar use, but Bob has an in at the JJ factory (family if I recall correctly), and takes the time to weed out bad tubes. I use the JJ KT77 in one of my very hard driven guitar amps, and that set has been in there for 5+ years!

Those Genalex do sound interesting though! I wonder if Steve has tried out their KT66 on the new amps...

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 10/21/13 at 15:50:49

I've been getting them from CyroSet. Thanks for the link it might come in handy. I will report back.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #26 - 10/21/13 at 20:00:58

Hrm, Cryoset is supposed to be very thorough - probably more so than Eurotubes. You would think their process would help weed out the clunkers.

I've got nothing. Maybe JJ has gone to crap over the years. It's been a long while since I've needed to purchase any JJ tubes. But I've beat the snot out of their 12AX7, 6L6, EL84 KT77, and even used the 6V6 in 6L6 applications that would normally kill a 6V6 tube. Usually pretty tough stuff.

« Last Edit: 10/21/13 at 20:03:34 by Lonely Raven »  
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #27 - 10/21/13 at 20:13:59

I've gotten quads of the JJ 6CA7 from Decware and indirectly from Decware (that is from forum members selling them when they came with the Torii) and from cryoset. (The cryo'd are the best, no doubt about it).

I have run about four pairs between three machines I ahve and get about 10 months to a year out of them; I run my amps hard, they're on about 2/3 of every day. That's reasonable life in my opinion for a power tube. I have had one failure, and that failed after I transported the amp and half of my household in the back of a UHAUL truck that shook like a mofo.

I prefer these tubes to any other that I have put in my Toriis. They're awesome power tubes, and I'm going to keep using them.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #28 - 10/21/13 at 22:06:41

That sounds more like what I've come to expect from JJ

will
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 10/22/13 at 00:31:48

I am not sure that all JJ tubes are created equal. And one JJ story seems to be... wait until they are in production a while. I also noticed Steve stopped putting them in amps.

My personal experience with the 6CA7 is not great. I have had four tubes from 4 quads fail so far. The first two quads were from BOIaudioworks and the tubes failed fast (something like 100 hours). They were very accommodating...since a tube failed from the first quad, and then one from the replacement quad, I asked if I could keep the other 6 tubes in order to have some backup. They very nicely agreed. And one did...so I have one spare left. However, I have not used those tubes since, so who knows if I would even end up with a good quad.

Then I had a cryoset quad that sounded better so put the others away...I agree with Lon...they do all the sound parts a little better, but one failed.

Then I had another cryoset quad, later build, which is going fine so far with maybe 5-600 hours.

Who knows. Like I said, I am playing with cryoset Mullard reissues now and like them fine, though I have not done comparisons with the JJ 6CA7s or other EL34s I have.

I sure am excited to hear orangecrushes thoughts on the Genelex. Every time I have almost got some, I chicken out.

« Last Edit: 10/22/13 at 00:32:31 by will »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print