Decware Audio Forums
04/18/14 at 14:58:04

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Man Cave (Read 5545 times)
RoyMercer

Man Cave
04/14/13 at 00:42:11

Here is my HDT's performing the disappearing act!

4 by Roy D. Mercer, on Flickr

1 by Roy D. Mercer, on Flickr

2 by Roy D. Mercer, on Flickr

3 by Roy D. Mercer, on Flickr

5 by Roy D. Mercer, on Flickr

« Last Edit: 04/14/13 at 00:57:59 by RoyMercer »  

Velodyne SMS-1, DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0, Decware Torii MK3, Dynaco MK3 Mono, Outlaw 7500, Modwright Oppo 95 & 105, Decware HDT's, Klipsch RC64 II, RS62 II's, QSC RMX 4050, 2 Danley Sound Labs DTS-10’s, P5 power plant, Powervar ABC3030, ABCE1440 & 30+GIK traps.
  IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Re: Man Cave
Reply #1 - 04/14/13 at 15:59:30

What's hidden in the front corners, some sort of spud like TH subs?  

D'oh!  It's in your sig.  I think I may need glasses.

Sick setup.

« Last Edit: 04/14/13 at 16:04:35 by ski bum »  
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/14/13 at 21:21:07

Very, very nice. Sweet setup. Thanks for sharing Roy. I see you are also a DSPeaker Anti-Mode user. I love mine, but having gotten a taste for what it can do, I am about to demo a DEQX Mate in my system to see how it compares.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
RoyMercer

Reply #3 - 04/14/13 at 23:52:58

Thanks Guys! I hope when you say "sick" that it's a good thing! (Grin). You were so close when you said spuds…good one. It was a lot of work building the Danley's but fun and worth it. And speaking of.... In regard to the Dsp, I could not agree with you more, Pale Rider.  Even with all of my bass traps I was not happy with the bass. I am in a basement which makes matters 100 times worse, but it took all of my bass traps, the Anti-mode and the ability to adjust phase to get what I will call musical bass.  Room treatments are a must have (even for the low end) but the Anti-mode works extremely well and is more than just the icing on the cake.

The DEQX-MATE looks very interesting but that is a lot of money! Have you tried the Dual Core 2.0?  I have not but suspect SimpliFi Audio or Underwood HiFi would give you a trial period. I heard it was used at the CES show and amazed people.  It was said that any degradation caused by the preamp / digital was overruled by the unit’s room compensation.  They indicated that preamp only mode did not sound quite as good as a top of the line Peachtree preamp being used at the time, but when they kicked on the room compensation the result was stunning.  It goes to show that the room ALWAYS dominates the listeners perceived sound.  I would have bought the 2.0 instead of the 8033 but with my setup I would not be able to take advantage of sub to main speaker phase (distance setting in my Oppo) without buying two units or one of each, and I did not have the funds at the time.  Plus the thought of putting something in-between my Modwright and Torii is scary… not to mention digital.  If / when I have the money I will probably try the 2.0 in conjunction with my 8033.

Velodyne SMS-1, DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0, Decware Torii MK3, Dynaco MK3 Mono, Outlaw 7500, Modwright Oppo 95 & 105, Decware HDT's, Klipsch RC64 II, RS62 II's, QSC RMX 4050, 2 Danley Sound Labs DTS-10’s, P5 power plant, Powervar ABC3030, ABCE1440 & 30+GIK traps.
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/15/13 at 01:44:31

That's a righteously good system, Roy... (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/15/13 at 02:16:42

Roy, I have the Dual Core 2.0, and it is very nice; got it from Simplifi Audio, and I have been very pleased with it. I hear good things about the combo of the Dual Core and the 8033, but in my case, the Dual Core works very well by treating the ERRs and the servo subs as a single 2.0 speaker. It sits between my 2-channel inputs and my Ultra. Although I won't be able to do any A/B/X type of testing, I should be able to get a pretty good idea of the comparison between it and the DEQX.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
RoyMercer

Reply #6 - 04/15/13 at 02:22:37

Thanks!  I work a lot and have not had a chance to look at many other folks photos and comment. It's taken me years to get mine together, to the the place it's at now. Not only does it take time to save the money (well, for me anyway) and tons of research, learning, etc., you must have the time to set it up too!  Now that I have my system in a state where I don't find myself having the urge to keep spending money trying to make it better, I can say it was all definitely worth it.   Cool

« Last Edit: 04/16/13 at 01:16:22 by RoyMercer »  

IP Logged
RoyMercer

Reply #7 - 04/15/13 at 02:28:17

"Roy, I have the Dual Core 2.0, and it is very nice; got it from Simplifi Audio, and I have been very pleased with it. I hear good things about the combo of the Dual Core and the 8033, but in my case, the Dual Core works very well by treating the ERRs and the servo subs as a single 2.0 speaker. It sits between my 2-channel inputs and my Ultra. Although I won't be able to do any A/B/X type of testing, I should be able to get a pretty good idea of the comparison between it and the DEQX."

That is awesome Pal Rider. I take it that you are happy with the two-channel result of the 2.0 room correction?  Did you notice as much difference with the two-channel as you did with your sub? Is your room treated?

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 04/15/13 at 04:19:35

Hey Roy, yes, the full 2.0 is very compelling, and I prefer it to subs-only.

No, my room is not yet treated. It's a challenging room, with only one true corner, a high sloping ceiling, open space on both ends of the room, and all sides of the front speakers, except for a small, free-standing wall right behind them. Getting reliable REW readings has not been easy.

The DSPeaker Anti-Mode has gone a long way toward helping me understand what my room is doing to the sound. And as I have posted elsewhere, it has made the most significant overall improvement in the system. But even with the Anti-Mode, which is a very impressive device, unless one uses the parametric EQ, the effect is limited to the lower frequencies. That's mostly okay, because that's where most of the room problem is. But there is the whole problem of time and phase alignment across the full spectrum, something that involves the speakers themselves. The DEQX is interesting, because it addresses these problems first. So, we shall see.

IP Logged
RoyMercer

Reply #9 - 04/15/13 at 04:45:20

Understood and thanks for the info Pale Rider. Please keep us posted!

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 04/16/13 at 07:19:54

Wow!  What an awesome room Roy!  The sound must be amazing ... so when's the listening party? Grin

IP Logged
RoyMercer

Reply #11 - 04/19/13 at 01:46:18

Thanks Beowulf!!   There will be NO PARTYING in the mancave!  ;)

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #12 - 08/18/13 at 22:45:41

Great looking dedicated room! Needs diffusers!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
RoyMercer

Reply #13 - 08/19/13 at 02:51:11

Thanks for your comments! Except for my left short wall and the ceiling, my walls are all sheet rock over my concrete foundation (Man Cave is in my basement).  I have thought and thought about diffusion. I spent a lot of money on the badly needed broad band & bass traps, and I could use more. When I read about diffusion I get mixed info. Left to right wall is only about 20 feet apart. I would love to put some diffusion over my traps but I can't find any assurance they will improve my room vs. making an negative impact.  I have thought about trying diffusion on my rear wall and / or in my RFZ. Any / all suggestions will be much appreciated.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #14 - 08/26/13 at 18:04:36

The problem with that many absorbers is it turns your room into a black hole - and that's a rather unnatural state for sound to live in.

Diffusers keep that sound energy in the room, and make the room appear to be bigger to your ears by delaying the time that reflected sound takes to get to your ears.

As you've probably read, diffusers need some space to work well, so I understand your hesitation. And after living in a room that's soaking up so much broadband, I'm betting adding diffusers would take some getting used to - in fact you might find it a bit jarring to suddenly have reflective surfaces in your room.

If you happened to live in the Chicagoland area, I could let you borrow some of my diffusers to play with. I build them for friends with home theaters and studios, and sometimes even have time to build some for myself! LOL

IMHO, both diffusers and absorbers are needed to get a well balanced room, but if you're happy with what you have, then that's really what matters. You're already light years ahead of 99% of the listeners out there!

« Last Edit: 08/26/13 at 18:06:33 by Lonely Raven »  
WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print