Send Topic Print
The MYSTERY AMP ! (Read 139987 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Re: The MYSTERY AMP !
Reply #990 - 03/25/14 at 18:34:05

I plan on putting in my NOS RCA 0A3's soon. I am holding off on purchasing the KT120 matched quad since Steve voiced the ZMA with the KT66 and recommends tube rolling those (see manual). I also have a matched quad of Cryoset 23P's I am in no hurry to put in....just nice to have on hand.

My CSP3 is on the bench! I just saw the email! How can you not be excited about a Decware product going in to production with your name on it?!  Stone happy...................bring on the Transparency with the GAIN for my ZMA!

My System for ZMA:

Dedicated Listening Room is 9' x 11' x 9' high

Acoustically treated/Michael Green Room Tunes...Corner Tunes
& Home Brew 20" x 30" open filter panels = 18 of them

System Tri-configured on floor (no rack) on flat wood shelves/on full carpeted room/floor underneath-concrete ...Townsend CD Seismic Sync under digital Audio Alchemy components ...XLO Pro Power Cord to ZMA ...Adcom AC-enhancer 515 ...all four components plugged into it...has sequential on off start & shut down~

*another XLO Pro Power Cord (burned in) waiting for CSP3 arrival*
*Kimber Silver Streak IC (burned in) also waiting for CSP3 arrival*

Sony DVD Player as Transport
Illuminati D-60 Digital BNC
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro32 (Set at 20 bit dither)
Revelation Audio Labs i2s Prophecy Cryo Silver Digital (sends jitter reduced music 20 bit dither signal separate from clock signal in which it also sends to DAC)
Audio Alchemy v3.0 DAC (dual ladder DACS-w/remote wand volume/adjustable voltage output/driving directly into ZMA)
Kimber Select 1030 Interconnect RCA
ZEN MYSTERY AMPLIFIER (3lb Brass Weight on each inside Power Transformer)
Kimber Select 3035 Speaker Cable

*****Anthony GALLO 3.1 Speakers******

« Last Edit: 03/31/14 at 19:38:38 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #991 - 03/27/14 at 13:43:56

CSP3 is in Testing/QC! I know, I am like a little kid.

........I am having a nice ZMA morning Jam with my morning Joe...the other Hi-End Manufacturer's can keep their boat anchors.

*313 hours and counting on my ZMA

« Last Edit: 03/27/14 at 13:58:09 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #992 - 03/27/14 at 14:22:23

I've lost track of hours. ZMA seems maybe to have smoothed out a little more. Also, I swear it's a tiny bit louder! I'm not sure how that's even possible, but I'm finding myself turning down the Oppo a little more today that I did last month.

I was also stupid enough to get into a "discussion" with the AVS forum guys who say that Paul from PS Audio should be arrested for fraud for the BS claims on his Power Plants (sigh)

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #993 - 03/27/14 at 15:27:06

I keep a pad an pen right next to my Listening Chair. I think after the 500 hour mark I will stop/let it go. I suppose I could use my iphone note pad...but I do old school.  ;D

Yes, I believe mine has smoothed out even more too. Tone is coming through with even more purity. You just sink in to the music like my Leather Chair. I have to agree with the volume going down too. For me, at the ZMA gain knob. It has more headroom with burn in! I am keeping her at 50 mA too....very nice.

Yeah, I hear you about the "other Forum" closed mindedness... . Lon, can attest to this! I stumbled on, and he has mentioned, for example, he brought up the CSP3 or 2 over on the Hoffman Forum as a suggested Preamp...and all he got was "crickets"....ignored. The PS Forum, I  am sure has a bunch of snots too from my reading. Lon has 100 posts over there. I was part of the Minnesota Audio Society for a few years and encountered my share of snobbery.

I can see on the AVS....you can get the opposite of Hi-End too. Belden Wire & plugs straight in to the wall for some.

« Last Edit: 03/27/14 at 15:34:05 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #994 - 03/27/14 at 15:51:37

Well, I have defended Paul recently as well.  It's not often I am bowled over by audio products.  I went to Axpona last year and just wasn't moved by much of what I heard.

But when Raven plugged my amp into that P10....Boom.  I had a PPP within two weeks.  Money is tight these days, but I found some.  Then once I heard the impact that power cords play and tried this AC12...Boom.

So the guy has two solid wins with me.  The only other company to do that to me is, well, ah, Decware.  I'm sure there are others but these two stopped me in my tracks.

Now if I can just scrape together that ZMA fund...

Mac Mini with Adirvana, Onkyo ND-S1 Digital Transport (modified) with linear power supply, iPod Classic, Chord QuteHD with Linear Power Supply, Signal Cable Digital Coax, Decware ICs, SE34I.32, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, PS Audio Power Cords, DIY Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #995 - 03/27/14 at 16:03:14

Yes, I like Paul an Wares. I will have a P5 in here by October....for my front end & CSP3.  Paul is very charismatic & passionate. However, I also like Steve Deckerts style...his great Amplifiers speak for themselves.

I will continue to follow the PS Direct Stream DAC thread over there...an let the bugs get worked out...see what kind of firmware updates happen, etc...etc...over the course of this year.

Plus, I am excited for you guys going to Axpona this year. Show conditions in Hotel rooms....not ideal...but hopefully you get a great Demo from Paul. I wish I was going...I would love to...and would tell people about my ZMA, Cables & etc....hopefully getting a good response...not the snob stuff...but, go after the snob if need be....I am jealous!   -Stone

« Last Edit: 03/27/14 at 16:16:26 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #996 - 03/27/14 at 16:20:41

I feel the same way - I'm not a rich guy by any stretch - and I was all set to send the P10 back if it didn't perform. And even though the big caps on the ZMA lessen the lift you get from the P10, I was sold as soon as it warmed up and started performing. The slight lift I got in my video, home theater, and subwoofer helped cinch the deal as well.

I'm still a skeptic on power cords, but I'll give the AC12 a chance to win me over as the P10 did.

I'm going to do my best not to try to educate the unwashed masses - I basically got drummed out of the AVS thread saying I was either a shill for PS Audio, or just deluding myself. I got the same response when I said that digital rips of CDs on my Oppo sounded better than the original CDs - I was met with cries of "Impossible" and "your imagining it" - but then Oppo Engineers backed me up on this in an E-mail that suddenly caused crickets.

These are the same guys that say tube amps are crap because they "add something unintended by the original Mastering Engineer" and that they are "changing the sound and therefor are bad" or "so it's (tubes) an EQ or special effect".

I'm a super skeptical guy, everything needs to earn my respect, but at least I don't keep my head in the sand.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #997 - 03/27/14 at 16:34:14

Yeah, a lot of those guys don't even have Vinyl collections an listen to their 11 Telarc Discs, 9 SACD's & a handful of DSD & hi-rez files worth having....over & over & over & over & over & over again.  

Sad, they can't let the specs go....and get absorbed in the musical stereo illusion that it is anyway. Only Tubes can give me the Timbre I need for musical involvement.

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #998 - 03/27/14 at 17:38:26

I guess I can't claim "skeptical" or "critical" in the usual use of the words...sort of with the assumption of built in hyperbole or "truth stretching" shall we say, as a definitive aspect of these terms.

I try to approach stuff with a distinctly open mind, as non-biased as I can. Then I seem to hear more (good or bad) not because I am more open to suggestion, but because I am more open to whatever is really happening with this body, in my room.

Many of the things that are commonly looked at on this forum are thought to be BS by many, and it always impresses me when someone disses something I can clearly hear as BS. I keep coming to the conclusion that there is some impediment in their system/rooms causing their systems not to be as revealing as mine; or that their bodies do not pick up as much as mine for some reason(s); or that their perception is different from some other barrier(s). Whatever, since I daily experience the vastness of the sound field and musical spectrum as if it were real, it always surprises me when I hear these usually belligerent statements, that for me, in my room, defy reality.

And why is it so important (and why those poor folks who don't get it miss out)? When I can hear foot type and placemet effect things, or cable rolling, or whatever, no matter how subtle, if it can bring the realness to the sound just a little more, this can be a lot since that last few percent finally becomes sort of epic in the cumulative effect of gorgeous and captivating music in the home.

« Last Edit: 03/27/14 at 17:54:51 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #999 - 03/27/14 at 21:47:01

Quote:
LR said,
These are the same guys that say tube amps are crap because they "add something unintended by the original Mastering Engineer" and that they are "changing the sound and therefor are bad" or "so it's (tubes) an EQ or special effect".

To be fair McGowan said some of the same things about tubes while he was trying to promote that class D amp that PS Audio was working on.  Which was scrapped because for the most part class D sucks (which I could have told before he started and saved him a bunch of money ... or I would have given him that advice in exchange for a P10 Cheesy)

I wonder if he says the same things about tube amps now ~ after he took that class D amp to a shootout and lost to an old tube amp I haven't heard a peep from him in regards to tube amps. I do give Paul props in that he at least admitted his amp design lost on almost every level.

I also recall reading in one of his posts that he got an Aesthetix Calypso Preamp ~ which is ironic since I recall reading from him that preamps were no good either and just got in the way ... so not only is he using a preamp, it's also a TUBED preamp. Grin

Maybe he's coming around to the darkside Wink

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #1000 - 03/28/14 at 05:38:52

http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1364651891

....time to bring the Anthony Gallo 3.1's back in to the Listening Room!

They are enjoyable an kinda mesmerizing actually with the SE84CS & Super Zen CKC. However, they could use a little more juice. Plus, I want to drive them with the ZMA alone from my DAC for awhile, then apply the CSP3 with ZMA in to them. Tomorrow nights endeavor. It will be hard for me to move the SDA 1's out for awhile...but I love my Gallo's too.

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #1001 - 03/28/14 at 06:07:34

I still like the idea of the Anthony Gallo...

beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #1002 - 03/28/14 at 09:08:53

Do they even make the Gallo 3.1's anymore?  It doesn't appear that you can buy them from their website at this time.

« Last Edit: 03/28/14 at 09:09:11 by beowulf »  
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #1003 - 03/28/14 at 12:06:22

The 3.1's and 3.5's are no longer being produced.  There is supposed to be a new reference floor stander launching this spring.  

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #1004 - 03/28/14 at 15:43:11

I picked up my 3.1's this past December for $1500. A great pair of Speakers and also, now part of Audio History. I don't plan on selling them...but if I do....they will hold their value.

Yes, Anthony Gallo has a new one coming out and Sandy Gross of Triton has one too. Both should be at Axpona(?)

Anyway, Sandy's will still fall in the category of "being able to run with small & larger Decware Amps" per the Decware thread I posted above. Sandy personally uses a 24 watt per channel SET to run any of his Triton's...including the new Flagship released next month (April).

« Last Edit: 03/28/14 at 15:44:12 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats