Send Topic Print
The MYSTERY AMP ! (Read 141529 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Re: The MYSTERY AMP !
Reply #930 - 03/18/14 at 18:58:22

I am so jealous Palomino! I remember you mentioned you were going to Axpona. I will be with my Son at Stanford for an Admit weekend and for his housing in the fall, etc... (he gets his mega brains from his mother-I can't take credit).

I would be there Palo...if for not this Trip. I don't spend enough time with my son as that goes/he is 18 now. Besides the cool stuff at Stanford and area...we will hit up a Giants game...they are in town that weekend.

However, LR & Palomino, I am only 5 hours drive from Chicago Land. Seriously this Fall, if I get one...{will see what Palomino thinks about it/especially under show conditions that usually suck-and without a Decware Amp....are you going LR(?)}..... . We should get together and I'll bring my CSP3/ZMA/Speakers/Wires....and of course the Direct Stream DAC!  Unless, Palomino buys one before me!

Yes, Paul needs the ZMA/CSP3 combo with DSDAC for the show!  

Cool LR....you're going too and if you got after hours with your ZMA! Wow.

Lon, I know you have mentioned you're not into this sort of stuff. But, I think I can speak for the other guys....you know you are invited. Especially, over from Ohio now...not traveling from Texas.

« Last Edit: 03/19/14 at 18:29:40 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #931 - 03/18/14 at 19:50:35

Yeah, Brianne got back to me, we have a camping trip planned that weekend. I'm still going to figure out what I can do - I really want to hear the PSA DS with the ZMA.   Wink

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #932 - 03/18/14 at 21:50:45

I have met Paul McGowan several times.  I think you will find him sincere, genuinely curious, open-minded and a heck of nice human being.  He is not opposed to tube amplification.  He uses a tube preamp at the moment in his system - he has even raved about it publicly.  He seems to be on a mission to get a "specific" sound via solid state circuits that he has heard produced by tubes being somewhere in the chain.  But this is just my speculation.  I'm not sure why he/PS does not introduce tubes into PS designs if that is the "sound" he's striving for.  

I suspect he will be as curious as you to see what his DS Dac sounds like driving your Decware amp/s... the question will be, "what" speakers he has on hand for you to strap your Decware amp to.  They are not likely to be of the high sensitivity type.  He used to be fond of Avalon speakers and demo'd with them frequently.  He is also a big fan of ribbons as everyone knows by his Infinity IRS' he now uses as a reference.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #933 - 03/19/14 at 02:41:57

I can't remember if I posted it on this thread or not, but the current PW DAC feeding the ZMA direct sounds so good it's hard to imagine what the DirectStream would sound like.  Ted talks a lot about more foot tapping with the DirectStream, but I am already tapping my foot to most discs with the current DAC. Maybe Decware users will be dancing vs. foot tapping.  Or maybe we will go into a trance and find ourselves sitting and listening at the recording venue on each and every disc.  Foot tapping, check…what else can you bring to the party DS?  Anyway, looking forward to finding out...

« Last Edit: 03/19/14 at 16:57:28 by Dave1210 »  
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #934 - 03/19/14 at 11:34:13

Stone,

Enjoy your school visit.  That's a special time. Raven and I will hopefully figure out what this DAC is all about. And if you want to come down for the next Chicago Decware Appreciation Society meeting our doors are open.

If you guys want an opinion on anything else at axpona let us know. I have not had my ear that close to the ground so this new DAC is the only thing on the dance card thus far.

Mac Mini with Adirvana, Onkyo ND-S1 Digital Transport (modified) with linear power supply, iPod Classic, Chord QuteHD with Linear Power Supply, Signal Cable Digital Coax, Decware ICs, SE34I.32, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, PS Audio Power Cords, DIY Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #935 - 03/19/14 at 18:33:30

Yes, thanks for the invite Palomino-will do.
Definitely want to hear your opinions on the Direct Stream DAC.
I will see if I can come up with anything else at the show we all might be interested in. You guys, I am sure will do the same.

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #936 - 03/19/14 at 18:41:48

I typically don't like shows like this. Too much noise, poor room setup, douchbags with entitlement issues pushing their way around - just not my thing. I don't plan on staying long, but I'll try and poke my head into as many rooms as I can in a short amount of time. I'll probably buddy-up with Palomino so we keep each other on task. We tend to attack tasks/issues the same way. Smiley

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #937 - 03/19/14 at 18:43:24

I forgot to add - I got a response from Paul about Axpona -

"Hi Eric it’d be a pleasure to see you and say hi.  I will be there Friday and Saturday in Walter Liederman’s room playing DirectStream, I think on the Emerald Physics."

Maybe we should move this to it's own thread? (about 2 page too late I know - LOL)

« Last Edit: 03/19/14 at 18:43:47 by Lonely Raven »  
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #938 - 03/19/14 at 19:08:22

+1 on the douchbags.  You'll want to shower when you get home.  Its a carnival barker environment in some of the rooms.  And the prices....don't get me started on that.

I will just say this...you will come home appreciating the Decware value proposition.

Maybe I will start another thread.  I would like some input on what might be worth checking out.

Mac Mini with Adirvana, Onkyo ND-S1 Digital Transport (modified) with linear power supply, iPod Classic, Chord QuteHD with Linear Power Supply, Signal Cable Digital Coax, Decware ICs, SE34I.32, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, PS Audio Power Cords, DIY Speakers
  IP Logged
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Attention:  Owners manual available
Reply #939 - 03/19/14 at 20:58:30

Link at the bottom of the ZMA product page.  Am I the first to notice this?  I was looking for it however.  When I picked up my ZMA last week I asked Steve about it and he said this week.  Thanks, Steve.  The amp is killer!!!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #940 - 03/19/14 at 21:12:22

What link at the bottom of the ZMA page?

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #941 - 03/19/14 at 21:22:50

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #942 - 03/19/14 at 21:24:02

Nice! Looking it over now.

I'm in trouble right on the second page!

3. Never leave this amplifier powered
ON while unattended or at night
when sleeping.

Edit to add: This is already the *best* Decware manual yet! I now see why Steve wanted help to update all the manuals!

Second Edit: One misspelled word and a couple typos - beyond that, this is very well done. I like it!

A couple notes - I notice Steve is recommending 50ma as the bias point rather than 60ma.

I notice KT120 was dropped from the list, but that was probably for brevity, rather than to list *every* tube that would work - or maybe because Steve is trying to save the power transformers from abuse.

I also notice it takes a 6.8 amp fuse as standard.

That was just a quick skim.

« Last Edit: 03/19/14 at 21:43:03 by Lonely Raven »  
lLance
Verified Member

Reply #943 - 03/19/14 at 23:00:57

Hour 1 on ZMA, fantastic right out of the gate. Already sounds way better than my Tori 3 and that's saying something.

ZMA, Tori MK3, Audible Illusions M3B pre, NAD M51 DAC, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Audioquest Sky XLR, Triode Wire Labs #7 & Black Sands Z1 PC, VooDoo AES/
  IP Logged
SteveC
Seasoned Member

Reply #944 - 03/19/14 at 23:26:32

This is the end of my comparison testing.

1. Side by side, using kt66's in the ZMA and Torii3, the ZMA still does the tight defined bass trick much better than the Torii3.  If I turn the bass control all the way down (tighter), the torii3+kt66 will approach the bass tightness of the ZMA, but there's a lot less of it.  And it still doesn't have that razor sharp attack that the ZMA does.  It really doesn't compare.  I think maddog said he can get his torii3 to sound like a torii4 or zma by tube swapping, and I agree.  The kt66's in the torii3 make it sound more... leaner? crisper? tighter?

2. The torii3 sounds better using E34L (mine are E34L's not EL34's) than kt66s. I agree with Lon, there's some vocal and presence magic that's gone from the torii3 with kt66. (because of missing Hazen Grid mod?)  EL34's sing.  Through swapping configurations, I ended up just listening to the stock torii, and I was tapping my toes with a big smile.  It's a damn good amp. Very fun to listen to.

3. Using a Bottlehead OTL headphone amp as a preamp made both the Torii3 and ZMA sound much better.  That was an aha moment for me.  I need better source.  I could make the sound thinner or fuller riding the gain.  I hear it. I get it now.

4.  no more playing around.... The torii3 is just fun to listen to.  The ZMA is just powerful and accurate and right.  I give up. They are both great, and different beasts.  I won't be giving up my Torii3. (Which mean, I'll probably be getting more speakers. 2nd system. sigh.)

5.  no more playing around... because I removed one voltage regulator in the ZMA when I was doing side by side single channel comparisons.  when I put it back in, ZAAAAAP.  big pop. big arc. change of underwear.  And funny enough the zma manual says... don't do that. Smiley   I did this a couple days ago, then noticed that balance was off.  one side was quieter, and bass was missing.  I had a horrible sinking feeling for a few minutes. Did some left right swapping to troubleshoot it.  finally swapped the voltage tubes after letting the caps drain (unplugged while it played out).  This fixed it.  Assumption: was bad contact where it arced.  It's fine now. channels balanced, bass is back, etc.

no more playing around. I'm just going to enjoy it. well, both of them.  :)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 ... 74
Send Topic Print