08/28/14 at 14:10:14

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 ... 74
Send Topic Print
The MYSTERY AMP ! (Read 129523 times)
Archie
Verified Member

Re: The MYSTERY AMP !
Reply #915 - 03/16/14 at 18:55:31

LR -- I've been monitoring my transformer temperatures over time using two different type thermometers and getting the same temp (within a degree) for both inner transformers.  Given maybe 6 to 8 hours I've gotten up to about 125 F at 60 mA.  In about 4 hours I've gotten to about 120 F at 50 mA.  I think the main difference in the bias setting is how fast the temperature rises.  The maximum seems relatively close.  Since touching the transformers is so subjective I'm glad that we can compare temperatures.  It seems like I'm not far off what you are getting.  I don't know what a MAX TEMP should be to ensure the transformers don't degrade.  So far Steve hasn't gotten specific.

I tried an experiment of standing about 15 7mm magnum shell casing on top of one of the transformers to act as a radiator but it made NO difference to the temperature.  I have my amp out in the open but I'm wondering if a fan might be needed?  Or maybe this in a non issue?

I don't notice a difference in the sound or volume with the 50 mA bias setting so for now I'm sticking with it since things get hot slower.  I can only bias down to around 47 mA in any case.  Do you have any idea what the bias does other than affect the temp/time curve?

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #916 - 03/17/14 at 02:47:44

Archie,

It's a non-issue. These transformers are actually running quite cool compared to other amps I've had. The ZMA is actually quite efficient.

I was just watching a movie with the volume cranked, temps were the same, about 122F on the right, 123F on the left.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Archie
Verified Member

Reply #917 - 03/17/14 at 23:59:41

LR -- Thanks for the reassurance.  I feel like a new mother and the ZMA is my baby!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #918 - 03/18/14 at 00:21:27

Yeah, no worries - I've actually had guitar amps that got so hot, they cooked the labels off the transformers!

Just enjoy your amp! I look forward to seeing how you feel about it after 125 hours or so.   Wink

Archie
Verified Member

Reply #919 - 03/18/14 at 00:54:39

I just got a reply from Steve.  He said the "safe long term operating temperature is 135 F."  

I've already had a couple experiences of Holy S...!  Sound so pure it's almost not real.  I feel like I'll be doing laps through my vinyl as the amp seasons.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #920 - 03/18/14 at 06:46:46

I hear you Archie!

I have 277 hours on mine and I hate to shut it off and go to bed.

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #921 - 03/18/14 at 14:24:52

Wow Stone! You must be doing marathon listening sessions! LOL

Maybe I'm being conservative, as I only count hours where I'm playing above background listening levels. I'm also watching some downloaded and streamed TV episodes on it since my Surround Sound Receiver tanked due to an issue with large dogs, glass shelves, and gravity. Tongue

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #922 - 03/18/14 at 17:19:50

You know it LR!
January 22nd...the Eagle Landed.

5.036 avg per day hours x 55 days (as of yesterday) = 277

Even allowing for 1 or 2 days a week not having it on....some week nights & weekends I have it on 6 to 11 hours straight at Listening Levels you can hear up in my Kitchen making dinner with the GF and a glass of wine or two.

I am following the Direct Stream DAC thread over on the PS Forum. I am figuring out a way to get one by the Fall. First, the CSP3 and some tube rolling with KT120's...... .

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #923 - 03/18/14 at 17:59:47

Quote:
I am following the Direct Stream DAC thread over on the PS Forum. I am figuring out a way to get one by the Fall. First, the CSP3 and some tube rolling with KT120's......

So how far away from Chicago are you? Smiley

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #924 - 03/18/14 at 18:04:58

PS Audio room 434 at Axpona Chicago April 25-27.

Billing it as the first show with Direct Stream.

I'll be checking it out.

Mac Mini with Adirvana, Onkyo ND-S1 Digital Transport (modified) with linear power supply, iPod Classic, Chord QuteHD with Linear Power Supply, Signal Cable Digital Coax, Decware ICs, SE34I.32, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, PS Audio Power Cords, DIY Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #925 - 03/18/14 at 18:41:41

Dammit, now I want to go to that. Hell, I'd ask Paul if I could bring my ZMA so he could hear a *real* power amp! Smiley

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #926 - 03/18/14 at 18:45:16

NOW YOU'RE TALKING! Cheesy

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #927 - 03/18/14 at 18:45:27

I don't know about that.  He may hear things in his CDs he's never heard before  ;)

I think they are probably in one of the small "hotel rooms."  I think a lot of curious minds will want to know.  That will probably be the first rooms I visit.

I am looking at the exhibitor list to set my game plan.  Last year was too random an approach and I ran out of time.

Edit: also these rooms are pretty tough to get to sound right, but hopefully I will get the idea of what this DAC does.

« Last Edit: 03/18/14 at 18:47:11 by Palomino »  

Mac Mini with Adirvana, Onkyo ND-S1 Digital Transport (modified) with linear power supply, iPod Classic, Chord QuteHD with Linear Power Supply, Signal Cable Digital Coax, Decware ICs, SE34I.32, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, PS Audio Power Cords, DIY Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #928 - 03/18/14 at 18:51:01

I just E-mailed Brianne to see if she's OK with me going. I don't recall why, but something was making it difficult for me to attend...a wedding or something maybe.

That said, I still have some PTO days I need to burn, so I can take that Friday off and start early.

If she green lights me, I'll go with you, and I will genuinely see if Paul would mind a few minutes to try the ZMA and the DS together, even if it's an off hours visit.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #929 - 03/18/14 at 18:54:27

Have pelican case, will travel...

I am going on Saturday.  I think you said you had a trip lined up.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 ... 74
Send Topic Print