10/21/14 at 03:41:48

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 ... 74
Send Topic Print
The MYSTERY AMP ! (Read 153410 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Re: The MYSTERY AMP !
Reply #885 - 03/11/14 at 20:10:57

I am thinking about signing up for the trial service at the cable company to give us some variety.

Mac Mini with Adirvana, Onkyo ND-S1 Digital Transport (modified) with linear power supply, iPod Classic, Chord QuteHD with Linear Power Supply, Signal Cable Digital Coax, Decware ICs, SE34I.32, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, PS Audio Power Cords, DIY Speakers
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #886 - 03/12/14 at 03:26:46

The amp has definitely turned a corner and is headed closer to Zen (I have a conservative 125 hours on the amp at this point).  I feel there has been a recent breakthrough in texture and 3 dimensionality (dryness and flatness appear to have vanished without a trace).  I just finished listening to the new Beck album and to say it was enjoyable would be an understatement.      

I still haven't gotten around to doing any of the additional experiments I planned to do.  For example, I want to try out the balanced inputs, but apparently don't have any balanced cables (seems they have gone missing from my tangled web of Pro Audio cables).  On a similar note, I did some research on the balanced outputs of the PS Audio DAC and at 100% volume it outputs 5.6V (2X the unbalanced, which is already reasonably high).  Should be an interesting experiment (even more gain than I realized and Steve's comment that the Jenson transformers add some of that pre-amp magic).  Anyone have a recommendation for good XLR interconnects?

Cheers.

IP Logged
stellablues
Verified Member

Reply #887 - 03/12/14 at 03:58:25

Hey Dave,

I just got the ZMA up and running tonight.. Im on hour 2. Smiley I am using XLR and have not yet tried my RCA.

The beck album is amazing on vinyl. i played side 2 about 8 times in a row last weekend...

You might look at VH Audio DIY silver XLR cables. this is what I am using but I have always built my own cables and always preferred silver. not too difficult but soldering experience helps.

http://www.vhaudio.com/wire.html  

altogether around $110 with all parts. if you upgrade to OCC wire its 70 bucks more. I may build another set using that cable here soon.

won't get you that immediate fix however.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #888 - 03/12/14 at 04:49:28

Thanks for the info on the cables SB.  

Enjoy your journey with the ZMA.  I have been listening throughout the entire break in process and it has been insightful.  Keep us posted.

Sounds like I should pick up the new Beck album on vinyl.  I have been spinning and collecting vinyl for 10+ years (I was a dj in college and maybe you could argue I never stopped).  Seems like a crime that I don't have at least one turntable setup at the moment.

Happy listening!

IP Logged
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Reply #889 - 03/12/14 at 15:14:12

Which Beck album are you talking about here?  I'm putting my monthly vinyl buy list together so this is timely.  I am also picking up my ZMA tomorrow at Decware (road trip) and will like getting some new music to help put it through its paces.

I will be picking up the ZMA in person becuase I'm swapping the Torii MK IV for it.  Steve and I came to agreeable terms on that.  I will be a little sad giving up the MK IV.  It is sounding SO good.  Has anyone else had both the MK IV and the ZMA?  I'm guessing from reading early reports that the ZMA won't disappoint, rather it will be the amp I really need for my JansZen speakers.  

The Torii has worked really well but I can foresee a time in the future where I will have a bigger room and the ZMA seems like a better fit given the nature of my speakers.  I also remember reading way back on page 7 of this thread where Steve and David Janszen both certified this speaker/amp combo.  I'm really looking forward to seeing if the ZMA does in fact give that extra oomph.  The sound is so good now with the Torii that any added performance will be very cool.  

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #890 - 03/12/14 at 15:29:43

Congrats on the upgrade!

Drive safe! It sucks out there right now with the slushy snow, and it's supposed to get colder (freezing this mess) later today!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Reply #891 - 03/12/14 at 16:00:14

I have been watching the weather.  We had 73 degrees yesterday here in Cincinnati.  Today is much colder and rain.  I realize traveling north will make that worse.  I'm motivated however and have four wheel drive if needed. Smiley

My son has the day off and he will be my traveling buddy to help with the driving and to provide company.  We both like road trips and I don't get as much time with him as I would like, so the trip will be good for a variety of reasons.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #892 - 03/12/14 at 16:40:28

Have a nice safe trip! Here in Cleveland area it has been snowing since 8 a.m. (afer raining a few hours) and there's no end in sight. Smiley But as you say, you're motivated!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #893 - 03/12/14 at 17:02:03

The latest Beck album is Morning Phase.  See link below:

http://www.amazon.com/Morning-Phase-Beck/dp/B00HHYEOY0/ref=tmm_acd_title_0?ie=UT...

If you like the music on his new album, also check out Sea Change.  Both albums have excellent sound quality.

Can't wait to hear your impressions of the Mystery amp with the JansZens.  Those speakers are on my short list to demo.

Cheers and have a safe trip!

« Last Edit: 03/12/14 at 17:12:54 by Dave1210 »  
  IP Logged
stellablues
Verified Member

Reply #894 - 03/12/14 at 17:28:31

jsm71 if you would like to get rid of your janszens please let me know. I loved them in the store but they didn't fit my room configuration at that time. I didn't get them and then the price hike in december really hurt my spirit.... now I need to find a demo or used pair. and force my room to work... or just put that dream on the back burner.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #895 - 03/12/14 at 18:54:59

Awesome jsm71, you are going to love it (ZMA).
You have a nice Pre for it too.

My CSP3 has made the Build Sheet!

I came to my senses and I will run my Kimber Silver Streak from DAC to CSP3...then from CSP3 to ZMA will be my Kimber Select KS-1030. The damn 1030 IC has gotten to up there in price for me to get another.

ZMA is making music right now.....back to it.  -S

« Last Edit: 03/12/14 at 18:56:30 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #896 - 03/12/14 at 19:42:07

I look forward to Tube Rolling and others impressions late this Summer and Fall...after seasoning of this great Amp.

1st, KT120's.......keeping all else equal. I have 251 hours on my ZMA as I type. I will put the 120's in approx. 2 to 3 weeks before my CSP3 arrives to get an understanding of them prior to my Pre.  -S

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #897 - 03/12/14 at 22:21:01

I just switched from the 4 ohm taps to the 8 ohm taps to assess differences/preference with my setup.  For reference, I did ask Steve what he prefers, and below is the response I received:  

"Myself I often use the 8 ohm taps with 944's, but it's a room dependent choice combined with how loud you're going to try to play the amp."

That said, I think the guidance is try for yourself and decide.  

LR...have you tried both taps with your 944's?  If so, where did you net out?

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #898 - 03/12/14 at 22:26:47

No, I haven't really tried both taps - I will eventually now that my buzz issue has been resolved.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #899 - 03/12/14 at 22:41:16

This may be a stupid question, but do transformers also need some time to break in?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 ... 74
Send Topic Print