Send Topic Print
The MYSTERY AMP ! (Read 132518 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: The MYSTERY AMP !
Reply #870 - 03/06/14 at 18:58:02

For those who ordered the ZMA with transformer balanced XLR inputs, I think you'll find the beauty of the transformer is it's ability to remove dryness which can occur when feeding the amplifier directly from a DAC.  Very similar sonic effect that an active preamp brings to the table where dryness or lack of dimensionality are concerned.

WWW   IP Logged
vyokyong
Verified Member

Reply #871 - 03/06/14 at 23:24:00

Yes, ZMA is liquid, honesty and high resolution. Oppo is in thin and dry sound compared to Accuphase. In my case of Accuphase, I am impression of ZMA to provide low freq sound region, base is tight, speed and details so that I can hear details of drum skin, like you sit next close to drummer. But I wish base to have more weight and slam! However the mid freq sound region, particularly vocal voice, is not impress. It is improved and better than my Pass Labs SS Amp. But all of us know that tube amp has mid sweet sound, particularly vocal voice, to die for. I just have a hope that the mid sound will be sweet when ZMA passes > 200 hrs. But it is lucky that I replace my Siltech SPX30 power cord (which is made of silver + gold wire) with new XLO Ref3 power cord which is made of copper wire. The sound tone shifts to more mid range sound. Now my mid sound is very sweet and vocal voice is so sweet to die for. It is sacrifice of details in base sound, less hear drum skin, but the base has more weight and slam as I wish. The sound stage is wider, each instrument has more mass or size of real live concert, more separate with more black background. Before each instrument is small size, thin and sharp image. Now I am very very happy.
Its sound improves to next level, more like real live concert.

Then I would suggest to try replace silver cable of IC or power cord with copper cable. It may help to solve dry sound in your system!

Accuphase CD/SACD DP77 player, MIT Oracle RCA IC, XLO reference3 power cord
Zen Mystery Amp. MIT Oracle RCA IC. Synergistic Research Tesla Reference power cable.
Avalon Avatar speakers. MIT Oracle speaker cable.
Hydra 8. ZSB. Kubala Sosna Emotion powerca
  IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #872 - 03/07/14 at 02:01:12

Hi Stone and Lon,

What I was trying to say is that I got mixed results when I introduced the CSP3 into the same audio chain.

Oppo 95 --> sound silver symmetry --- > CSP3 ----> sound silver symmetry ---> Amp A / Amp B ----> Clearday double shotgun -----> Alesis speakers MK2 Passive

I got the sonic veil ( from the CSP3) when amp A was the mk4.
On the other hand, there was no sonic veil when Amp B was the other non-Decware amp.
The CSP3 was utterly transparent and I could not hear any veil.

The MK4 sounds just as transparent as my other setup combos when the mk4 is run directly from the source.
So that is my preferred setup for now.

Dear LR,
The Oppo DAC is extremely accurate.
I suggest trying warmer input tubes in your ZMA.
I have found that Decware amps, ( CSP3, CSP2+, MK4) are like a straight wire with gain and the input tubes can significantly alter the sound.

My MK4 required a couple of 100s of hours to mellow, like a typical "man" Wink
It was a bit too analytical at first.
Since the ZMA takes sonic accuracy to an even higher level, I suppose it requires even more hours to mellow as compared with the MK4?

IP Logged
lLance
Verified Member

Reply #873 - 03/07/14 at 02:14:09

Parts pulled for my ZMA today. I like what Steve is saying about the balanced inputs. I can't wait to hear how it sounds straight from my M51 DAC.

ZMA, Tori MK3, Audible Illusions M3B pre, NAD M51 DAC, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Audioquest Sky XLR, Triode Wire Labs #7 & Black Sands Z1 PC, VooDoo AES/
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #874 - 03/07/14 at 02:31:27

I understood what you were saying, Lord S. I just have had no similar experience with my sources and the CSP2+ and the Mk III.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #875 - 03/07/14 at 02:40:25

I am very much enjoying how my system sounds right now (PW DAC-->ZMA-->944).  I expect it will only get better with continued break in.  

I recently used a laser measure to fine tune placement of the 944's.  I wish I would have done that earlier.  Imaging is spot on and the sweet spot is very sweet.  Albeit very head in a vice.  

I have never had a tube pre-amp in my system so I don't know what I am missing (if anything).  I applaud the folks who are going to get the preamp and decide whether or not it works for them.

I have a couple things I want to try over the next week:
1)      Plug the ZMA directly into the wall and bypass the PowerPlant
2)      8 ohm vs. 4 ohm taps
3)      Balanced vs. unbalanced inputs

I also have an Oppo BDP-93 that I can substitute as a source.

LR…Not sure if others are interested, but it would be great if you could provide a list of the discs/music you found to be dry so people can use them as a reference (if they so choose).  Cheers!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #876 - 03/07/14 at 04:17:18

They weren't very good recordings, but look at my list in the What's Spinning thread for the past day or so, starting with the Tribute to Tom Waits. The Heart albums sounded fine as they always do.

The Tom Waits one is really bad...one of the tracks actually sounded like a low rez MP3 dumped to CD, but then the next track sounds like a proper studio recording.

The Kelli Ali discs were really dry.

I feel that what really made this dryness apparent. is that I'm running the Oppo at 100 and using the volume of the ZMA - it really lets the source shine through, for better or worse.

« Last Edit: 03/07/14 at 04:18:52 by Lonely Raven »  
WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #877 - 03/08/14 at 18:46:18

I did the MOD!

Separation of Audio Ground from Earth Ground. BUZZ be gone....I have cast you out!

Lowest possible noise floor now re-established. Engage Mr. LaForge! ....give her all you got Scotty!    

It was cool to crack her open and follow the signal paths (0A3's to preamp tube) and see those sweet Jupiter Cap bundles too!

.....and not a DAMN TRANSISTOR IN SIGHT!

Cheers, Stone

« Last Edit: 03/08/14 at 18:49:33 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #878 - 03/08/14 at 19:20:24

Congrats! I'm glad you got that worked out!

I happen to be listening to my (modded) ZMA now, actually using it for TV watching.

Tell us what you notice later tonight after you get some quiet time with it!

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #879 - 03/09/14 at 03:19:55

Today I'm playing with my new Roku device, seeing what all features it has and watching some TV and listening to Music on it - and I'm astounded how great it sounds, even on streamed TV shows. Then I play some BBC TV shows I downloaded, and every opening track sounds great. Now I'm playing some random FLAC files and I'm marveling at how great everything sounds.

Then I remember, Oh yeah, I've had the amp on (not playing the whole time) for 2 days straight, and I'm closing in on 200 hours. This amp just gets better and better.

« Last Edit: 03/09/14 at 03:49:52 by Lonely Raven »  
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #880 - 03/09/14 at 03:34:13

I find that these amps love to be run for days on end, day after day, they get incrementally better sounding after 24 hours and more of running time. Mine has been on since Wednesday and the sound is stunning.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #881 - 03/09/14 at 17:04:18

ZMA is back in and sounding very good (quiet now). I had my SE84CS in the System on Friday. Man, do I love that AMP!

However, the ZMA is back in this morning with the Power...is just kickin' it right now!

I do look forward to seeing what the CSP3 in front of it will do. Also, I am going to sell a couple of pair of Speakers in the Spring to get a good pair of Headphones....like the Audeze LCD -X. Beats Audio WHO?  -S

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #882 - 03/10/14 at 20:50:07

Not sure if anyone cares, but Parts Connexion has Mundorf M-Lytic HP+ 500v caps on "Overstock Special" in the 2200uF Range.

I have the big reds, so I obviously won't be messing with mine - but it's out there for you tweakers who have the courage to mess with a $4600 machine.  :D

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #883 - 03/11/14 at 19:23:04

Yes LR, we have to appreciate the Big Reds = Mallory NOS Caps in the ZMA.

I also appreciate the design of this Amp, having personally opened it for my MOD and admired the build quality of the ZMA with tracing most of the signal paths and grounds.

LR, what do you think of your Pangea AC-9SE? I find it, in my System with the ZMA, to be elaborated to excess in the Bass & midrange push out. I have gone back to my XLO Power Cord, which has complete Tonal Balance with the ZMA. I am glad I have another of the same XLO to go to my CSP3 coming.

Of course, yours and others mileage may very with it to the ZMA.

I put the Pangea AC-9SE with my Rotel 1062 preamplifier = very nice with Solid State. I have a Kimber Palladium PK-10 (Kimber's best I bought used from David Weinhart/Weinhart Design out of LA-he has a lot of good stuff he takes on trade...because people have upgrade idis'-hehe)...the Palldium runs to my Emotiva XPA-2 Solid State Amp....and takes this Amplifier to a whole other level for the Living Room Rig.

But I'll tell you, this Pangea is one hell of a value because it competes with my Palladium PK-10.....no doubt. I just feel it is better suited for Solid State, like the Kimber Power Cord is..... .

« Last Edit: 03/11/14 at 19:27:11 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #884 - 03/11/14 at 19:48:25

Pangea AC-9SE is between the wall and my AC-10. I have my DYI braided 10AWG power cable (made from Zen Styx type wire) between the P10 and the ZMA.

I honestly don't hear any difference between (quality) power cords. That said, with all the noise I've had previously, on top of my high ambient noise in the room, I simply wasn't really able to hear any subtleties between power cords.

Palomino and I have been talking about sitting down to focus on a power cord showdown, especially now that he's got a PPP - but we really don't have a lot to choose from.

I guess I'm still skeptical about power cords. IMHO - if the power cord isn't holding the amp back, it's good. Anything that does hold the amp back in any way, or adds noise, isn't good. So, again, IMHO - all the "high end" cables I have appear to be good, because they don't hamper the equipment in any way. Stock cords maybe sound a little less dynamic (hampering the gear) - beyond that, I don't hear the changes people talk about like with ICs and Speaker Wire.

Still, I'll give power cables a fair shake and see what I see. I just feel I need some more samples besides my Pangea, DIY, and Palomino's DIY.

« Last Edit: 03/11/14 at 19:49:50 by Lonely Raven »  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 ... 74
Send Topic Print