Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: The MYSTERY AMP !
Reply #660 - 02/12/14 at 23:18:48

Those are cool trees.

And I just discovered why an engineer I know smells so bad.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #661 - 02/12/14 at 23:35:51

Steve, that is so cool!  XLR and a 1974 Master you own of Robert Plant.  Wow. Where is my Star Trek Transporter!

Well, I did what you said and all is well. I disconnected the IC's this time with all of the front end off. Just the Amp on, connected to the Speaker's...the ZMA is quiet. Add the IC's back into it...and I have an antenna... . So, I moved the power supplies of my DTI-Pro32 & DAC...and that lowered the buzz! Definitely, not a ground loop/obviously. The little buzz that it does do...is not effecting the fidelity of the Amp and my music running through it.

Now, I could go to a more shielded IC. Hell no, my Kimber 1030 with Kimber 3035 is to musical with the ZMA, SE84CS & CKC and Loud Speakers I like to use...for me to do that. With the SE84CS & CKC all is dead quiet.

Well gents, the Listening Room is all TUBE, with three Decware Amps & two pair of Speakers I like with all three Amps.

The Gallo 3.1's, have been moved to the bedroom system with my Anedio D2 DAC and Solid State Amp. They do better service in that capacity...and worth keeping.   -S

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
lLance
Verified Member

Reply #662 - 02/13/14 at 00:02:13

Steve, I ordered my ZMA with the balanced option. What do you think between the RCA and the XLR? Any sound difference?

ZMA, Tori MK3, Audible Illusions M3B pre, NAD M51 DAC, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Audioquest Sky XLR, Triode Wire Labs #7 & Black Sands Z1 PC, VooDoo AES/
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #663 - 02/13/14 at 00:04:19

Great news stone.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #664 - 02/13/14 at 01:11:40

Quote:
stone_of_tone wrote:  So, I moved the power supplies of my DTI-Pro32 & DAC...and that lowered the buzz! Definitely, not a ground loop/obviously. The little buzz that it does do...is not effecting the fidelity of the Amp and my music running through it.

Just a little food for thought based on what happened to me. In my case the "little buzz" was in the 60 Hz region due to a grounding problem. For almost a year I put up with it thinking it might just be normal.

During this time frame I was using an HSU Mid Bass Module and it produced very good bass through the 50 to 150 Hz range it was designed for. I had the MBM volume knob set at about the 10 O'clock position. Any higher and the Bass would start to get a bit boomy.

Finally one night I decided once again to try and root out the source of the "little buzz". Turns out I found the problem and the "little buzz" was completely gone, my system was dead silent. On top of that I was able to increase the MBM volume knob from 10 O'clock to 1 O'clock and it was wonderful, closest thing to live bass I have ever had in a living space. No boomy tendency at all.

In retrospect I think the actual noise floor of the amp is below what is audible. Only the 60 Hz "little buzz" was audible, an abrupt peak on the noise floor. Then when amplifying a music signal anything in that 60 Hz region rides on top of that peak creating a boomy effect to the ear (similar to a room induced peak) if the Mid Bass Module volume setting were too high.

Point being the "little buzz" may prevent you from getting the most out of your Sub and or Mid Bass Module as it did in my case?

Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CKC amp, Klipsch RF-7 mains, HSU MBM-12 MK2 mid bass module, HSU ULS-15 sub
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #665 - 02/13/14 at 14:31:22

I have my MBM 12 out in my Living Room System. I could not be without it, out there. I thank you DBC, for turning me on to this great device...Mid Bass Sub!

My Listening Room is only 9' x 11' and I get enough low end & mid bass from my main Speakers. Of course, my Room Treatment makes the Room sound like a much bigger space.

The strange thing is; my SE84CS & Super Zen CKC run dead quiet. I have so minimized the slight hum with the ZMA...it no longer concerns me. I can hear a mouse piddle on a cotton ball in the back of the Studio & all is extremely musically maintained (thanks Steve for a great AMP/ZMA).

My next move is bringing a pair of LSiM707 Speakers in for audition (the ZMA should be able to pull them off/if not, I will ship them back):

http://www.tonepublications.com/review/polk-audio-lsim707-loudspeaker/

My System for ZMA:

Dedicated Listening Room is 9' x 11'

Acoustically treated/Michael Green Room Tunes
http://tuneland.techno-zone.net/

& Home Brew 20" x 30" open filter panels = 18 of them.
System Tri-configured on floor (no rack) on flat shelves/on full carpeted room/floor underneath-concrete ...Townsend CD Seismic Sync under digital Audio Alchemy components ...Pangea AC-9SE Power Cord to ZMA ...Adcom AC-enhancer 515 ...all four components plugged into it...has sequential on off start & shut down~

Sony DVD Player as Transport
Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax/BNC
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro32 (Set at 20 bit dither & sometimes 22 bit)
i2s Prophecy Cryo Digital (sends jitter reduced music 20 bit dither signal separate from clock signal in which it also sends to DAC)
Audio Alchemy v3.0 DAC (dual ladder DACS-w/remote wand volume/adjustable voltage output/driving directly into ZMA)
Kimber Select 1030 Interconnect RCA
ZEN MYSTERY AMPLIFIER (3lb Brass Weight on each inside Transformer)
Kimber Select 3035 Speaker Cable
Polk LS90 Speakers (Resonance Control Megafeet Brass on Top & Spikes/Large Tiptoe's with Vibrapods on Bottom)

-Stone (I just added the Pangea....Stone Like!)

*PS-ALL components in the Listening Room, including my Decware Torii III/sold, SE84CS & CKC = were purchased new.

Yes, I have owned the Audio Alchemy Digital new, since 1995 & the LS 90's new since 1993. NO Redbook front end under 6K has beat my Audio Alchemy front end (I have had in-quite a few/and recently). The only thing I have found that can....is a 6K Esoteric Player.

« Last Edit: 02/13/14 at 17:23:22 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
stellablues
Verified Member

Reply #666 - 02/14/14 at 02:56:09

my ZMA is now 'on the bench' ... woohoo!

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #667 - 02/14/14 at 04:39:13

We have been spending a great deal of time dialing in our digital system using my highly modified Acoustat Monitor's - which are direct-coupled full-range electrostatics with a 20Hz to 20kHz response and the effective cone area of eight 15 inch woofers per side but with only the total mass of a single 1 inch soft dome tweeter per side ...to get some impressive sound.  Each speaker has a bias voltage of 5000 volts.  There is no hum. 

So far, the only real competitor is the Torii Mono's or the Mystery Amp using either the DM945's in the companion cabinets or the HR-1's. Despite the overwhelmingly impossible odds, the Mystery amp has now on more than 6 occasions kicked the Acoustat's ass using the DM945's. in the companion cabinets. [u]Impossibly the density of sound in the room on the Mystery amp / 945 combo which is one 8 inch driver per side sounded like 5 speakers per channel vs., the electrostatics with their own amps and some 30 times the cone area which sounded like half as much speaker.

It happened again tonight... but the real discovery turns out to be the balanced input transformer.   Using the balanced outputs from the tape machine into a Mystery amp without balanced inputs just didn't have the same magic.  It sounded perhaps half as good.  This of course would not be the case with single ended sources like your typical DAC or CD player, but from this balanced tape machine there was no comparison between the two ZMA's, one balanced, one not.   We created a magic the other night with the balanced Mystery amp and the 945's that we can not re-create with anything else.   It's so good, we had no idea.

So unbalanced the Mystery Amp / DM945 combo is equal to the Acoustats but balanced the Mystery Amp was perhaps twice as good...  Could the shimmer of a great input transformer make this much difference?  Apparently so...

« Last Edit: 02/14/14 at 04:47:30 by Steve Deckert »  
WWW   IP Logged
stellablues
Verified Member

Reply #668 - 02/14/14 at 04:53:04

Steve.... I asked the question months ago if I should get the balanced option.. and everyone said no, don't do it, just a waste.

and then today my mystery is 'on the bench' and you come out with this..

anyway to add the balanced output option at this point? will this find the same improvement with my balanced xlr dac output...

need advice asap.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #669 - 02/14/14 at 11:06:10

Amigo, if you need advice ASAP: give Steve or Sarah a call. Whether he'll see a post in time is risky. . . .

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #670 - 02/14/14 at 13:06:41

Sarah said my amp hasn't shipped yet because they are still waiting on Pelican cases.  I think it's REALLY because Steve and team are still listening to master tapes on the ZMA/R2R combo.   Smiley

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #671 - 02/14/14 at 14:50:42

In general, I am not a huge fan of blanket statements.  Unfortunately, there are a lot of them tossed around in the audio world.  Single ended is better, balanced is better.  Better on what gear?  Did they experiment with my gear?  

Also, I don’t know what my listening room setup will be 5 years from now.  Maybe I’ll have the ZMA sitting between the two speakers and my front end in a different room.  Would I want to have a long run of RCA or XLR?  

I don’t currently have a pre-amp (I guess you could argue the PW DAC is a pre-amp/DAC), but I may get one in the future.  There are plenty of pre’s that are truly balanced designs.  Would the XLR outputs/inputs sound better?  Maybe, maybe not, but at least you would have the option to try both.  

So, my thinking on the balanced option was--I’ll try both and decide for myself.  Plus, experimentation is half the fun with this hobby.  

StellaBlues…I agree with Lon.  Best thing to do is call Steve first thing this morning if you want to discuss further or make a change.

Cheers.  

« Last Edit: 02/14/14 at 14:55:38 by Dave1210 »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #672 - 02/14/14 at 16:12:45

So, is both balanced and single-ended outputs available for this amp both on one amp?  I thought not. . . .

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #673 - 02/14/14 at 17:04:11

The ZMA is blowing my mind this morning! At the 124 hour mark here now...and I'm at 86db with 93db SPL peaks....and just loving the density, speed & power of this AMP!  No hyperbole, just LIQUID MUSIC!

I am going to need a can opener to pry myself out of my chair, hit the shower and go get Steaks & Salmon for my Sue Marie on the grill tonight. The steaks & salmon on the grill/not her....hehe.

Cheers, Stone

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #674 - 02/14/14 at 17:06:19

Yeah, I noticed the ZMA really warming up and wowing me around the 100-125 mark as well.

I'm still putting on about 25 hours a week with mixed music and TV/Movie watching. So I'm at about 150 now, give or take a little.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 ... 74
Send Topic Print