You know it Lon X 2 (Pair).

You guys are killing me ... Back to The Secret Life of Walter Mitty Grin

« Last Edit: 02/06/14 at 20:59:50 by beowulf »  
  IP Logged
stellablues
Verified Member

Re: The MYSTERY AMP !
Reply #646 - 02/06/14 at 22:00:24

Mine is the last of the Mystery amp group on page 1. Aaron B. I ordered Nov 15th so I don't have as much to complain about but I would love the amp to compare to my Pass Labs xa30.5 and start my speaker search.

IP Logged
SteveC
Seasoned Member

Reply #647 - 02/06/14 at 23:46:23

A watched pot never boils.  So I'm forcing myself to be very "Zen" about this. Smiley  Zen master on the outside.  Kid on Christmas Eve on the inside.

IP Logged
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Reply #648 - 02/07/14 at 18:24:37

Mine as of this morning is the very last line on page 1.  I ordered mine in early December.  I'm hoping now that the guys are on a roll, mine will follow up with minimum delay after that big log jam on the middle of the build page. Smiley

I was the first MK IV shipped and I must say it is sounding real sweet.  If the ZMA can sound that good with the added power, I'll be done.  Wow, how many times have I said THAT??  My wife will say every time I buy something. Wink

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #649 - 02/07/14 at 21:56:02

Cool, jsm71, Stellablues, Dave1210 & SteveC...all onboard.

I am in my 91st hour on my ZMA. Right now, I am making the needles dance with Larry & Lee! No square waves here!

http://www.amazon.com/Larry-Lee-Ritenour-Carlton/dp/B0000001UU

Everyone have a great weekend!   -S

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Reply #650 - 02/08/14 at 13:49:30

Larry and Lee are two of my favorites for easy to consume jazz fusion.  They both always bring plenty of punch to the recording and make good demos when you want to show off your system.  I will need to get that album.  I wish they pressed on vinyl though.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #651 - 02/10/14 at 19:39:28

Amp just moved into 'testing' status.  Wishful thinking wants me to believe that Steve secretly burned in the giant Nuclear caps while waiting on the other caps.  Ok, back to reality...  

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #652 - 02/10/14 at 20:08:49

I'm about 150 hours on the ZMA, and 10-15 on the P10 Power Plant - it's starting to level-up again! I played some choral music last night, and for the first time, I could clearly hear the different sections! (rather than one amorphous blob of voices) I think I'm starting to see what the P10 is supposed to be doing! Followed up with some Beatles albums I've not listened to in years. While I didn't have the "I heard things I've never heard before" thing happen, I was clearly hearing some wonderful depth and detail that I didn't have previously.

I still have to work out the buzz issue I have. I spent more time on it last night and got nowhere - was up till 12:30am working on it and up for work at 5:05am. Oppo suggested running a cable without a ground pin - but I'm having this buzz issue even when power isn't applied to the Oppo!

I made some progress on rebuilding my garage/workshop last night as well; so I'm a little bit closer to starting to build my Big Ass Diffusers. when I get back into town, I hope to get further along on the garage and maybe be able to start cutting wood for my prototype diffuser this weekend!

« Last Edit: 02/10/14 at 20:14:09 by Lonely Raven »  
WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #653 - 02/10/14 at 20:39:54

Now we're talking.

Sorry about the buzz. Hopefully it will be gone soon.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #654 - 02/10/14 at 20:48:44

This buzz is driving me nuts, Lon. I'm really good at dividing and conquering issues. Usually I can narrow it down and come up with a plan in no time, and this one issue is taking me weeks!

I'm really going to have to start swapping components to figure out the exact source, so I can find an exact solution. When I get back home later this week, I think I'm going to swap in my old copper chassis Denon CD player and see if the problem persists.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #655 - 02/10/14 at 21:05:31

I know how it can be. Sounds like a good plan.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #656 - 02/12/14 at 20:45:49

For what it's worth the best trouble shooting procedure for noise, hums, buzzes, ticks etc., is to start with the speakers and work backwards.  

Hook the amp to the speakers and plug it in with nothing hooked to it's input jacks.  Let it warm up, and see what you hear.  Whatever you hear is the base noise floor you have to work with.  You can raise or lower this base noise floor somewhat with tubes, but essentially it should be so low that you don't care.  

Then hook the source to the amp while the amp is still on, but the volume is down, and see if anything changes.  If it does, you have three possibilities.  A) cables  B) the source itself  C) ground loop.

Under A) cables - we would also include the following scenario;  Unshielded interconnects picking up a square wave being broadcast through the air from a solid state module in todays light dimmers.  This would cause a buzzing sound.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #657 - 02/12/14 at 22:26:03

Getting ready to ship number 3 today!  Since this one has the XLR option I wanted to spend a night listening to the RCA inputs and then a second night listening to the balanced inputs.  To test the balanced inputs we hooked up the Otari 1/2 track mastering machine directly to the amplifier and spent the night listening to a master tape of Robert Plant from 1974 that I happen to own.  To describe the sound in less than a few pages would be nearly impossible, but I think I can do it with two pictures... let me see if I can find what I need and put it in my next post.  Meanwhile, let's just say... wow!

I've always said this is the only way to hear how good a Decware amplifier really is.... I was right.

Steve Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #658 - 02/12/14 at 22:38:25

Steve, I sent this to you in E-mail, but wasn't sure if you got it -

Here is the shop that rents reel to reel tapes - they also have upgrades for Otari and some other machines.

http://www.tapeproject.com/

There was another group renting out masters, or 1 generation away from masters, but I can't find them anymore, I think they dried up.

Also, Stone of Tone says he's having what sounds like the same buzzing issue I am with the ZMA - I'm going to do more testing tonight if I get out of work at a reasonable hour...

Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #659 - 02/12/14 at 22:40:01

Yes, I found a picture that accurately communicates what the master tape sounds like in a side by side comparison with the DAC.

Not only are all the leaves missing on the digital copy, but the ambient environment is much drier and much cooler and it's not even the same frikin tree!  That's because digital copies are always manipulated by the mastering engineer.  To resist manipulating it would be like taking a crap without wiping your ass...  Very few people could pull that off without side effects.  

Steve  :)

« Last Edit: 02/12/14 at 22:52:48 by Steve Deckert »  
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 ... 74
Send Topic Print