09/02/14 at 23:12:35

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 ... 74
Send Topic Print
The MYSTERY AMP ! (Read 132405 times)
SteveC
Seasoned Member

Re: The MYSTERY AMP !
Reply #630 - 02/03/14 at 22:44:36

What should be ZMA#0005 is now "parts pulled".   It's hard not to watch the list every moment.  I already have an outlet timer set aside for "6hours on, 6hour off, repeat" burn in.  Will wire speakers out of phase, facing each other, and let the music play for a long time.  I already know it won't sound as good as my torii3 at first, so I'm tempted to not even compare...But I'm sure curiosity will get the best of me.

IP Logged
Archie
Verified Member

Reply #631 - 02/03/14 at 23:12:08

Actually, we seem to have one drop out.  The 4th ZMA for Mr. Veerachai of Vietnam has gone from the list!

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #632 - 02/03/14 at 23:49:35

Probably shipped its Monday!

Smiley

Cool

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #633 - 02/03/14 at 23:50:57

I let my MkIV burn in for about 220 hours before bringing it into the main system and it would not have hurt to go more. Though it was fun to listen to before, I think 325-350 may have been the real leveling off area...not any more notable "off" phases, and some nice smoothing and articulation. And wow, you guys have Giant caps for power as well as for coupling.

Dave,

From your comments, I think the Mystery will amaze you compared to the Super Zen. With my Toriis, I really enjoy quieter listening, but if your experience is like mine, you will find yourself listening louder than you might have guessed at times. Aside from the different signature, I am guessing you'll find that pushing some power through those 944 drivers will change your world. They really do respond to the push.

« Last Edit: 02/03/14 at 23:51:36 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #634 - 02/04/14 at 22:33:38

I have a ways to go...for even 220 hours Will.

I am in my 69th hour on my ZMA! Having the extra headroom at my beckon call...is so sweet. I just finished: Larry Carlton - Deep Into It. I was deep into it! With the LS90's back in, the ZMA is a combination of power, control, subtlety and agility - for sure.

My System for ZMA:

Room is 9' x 11'
Acoustically treated/Michael Greene Room Tunes & Home Brew 18" x 30" open filter panels = 18 of them.
System Tri-configured on floor (no rack) on flat shelves/on full carpeted room/floor underneath-concrete ...Townsend CD Seismic Sync under digital Audio Alchemy components ...XLO Pro Power Cord to ZMA ...Adcom AC-enhancer 515 ...all four components plugged into it...has sequential on off start & shut down

Sony DVD Player as Transport
Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro32 (Set at 20 bit dither)
i2s Prophecy Cryo Digital (sends music 20 bit dither signal separate from clock signal in which it also sends to DAC)
Audio Alchemy v3.0 DAC (dual ladder DACS-w/remote wand volume/adjustable voltage output/driving directly into ZMA)
Kimber Select 1030 interconnect coax/RCA
ZEN MYSTERY AMPLIFIER (3lb Brass Weight on each inside Transformer)
Kimber Select 3035 Speaker Cable
Polk LS90 Speakers (Resonance Control Megafeet Brass on Top & Spikes/Large Tiptoe's with Vibrapods on Bottom)

-Stone

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #635 - 02/05/14 at 05:48:30

Sounds like it is great at 69! Good for you Stone!

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Axilarry
Verified Member

Picking up on the Polk LS-90 part of the thread...
Reply #636 - 02/05/14 at 09:27:07

This reply is to Stone re mods to LS-90s. Sorry in wrong place, but I'm desperate. Cap blew on one, spooged all over the crossover, tweeter driver is fershlugginer. VRMods too busy, need some help fixing, found this here and I can just tell you know how to upgrade these. Any further detail on what you already wrote, or what the best crossover repair would be, much appreciated!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #637 - 02/05/14 at 15:59:45

Axilarry, go to this Forum:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?28-Vintage-Speakers

....very knowledgeable group....with passion for all things Polk.
You will get some excellent advice on how to proceed.   -S

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #638 - 02/06/14 at 17:34:24

Dave1210 & SteveC, you're going to love the ZMA!

Lon, a few posts back you mentioned, I don't need the IV. I agree, for now. I ordered the HR-1 guys! I posted in the HR-1 Thread (talking to Lon & Will).

Now, I do have some 0C2 VR Tubes...so I will have to get a Torii MK IV in 2015!   -S

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #639 - 02/06/14 at 17:37:46

So who's the next couple ZMA owners on the list? I've not been following the build sheet since I received mine - I'm looking forward to others thoughts on the amp. Hopefully they won't let what Stone and I have said influence their thoughts on the amp.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #640 - 02/06/14 at 17:48:29

Absolutely LR, I want their gut opinions. I am so glad Steve set me straight with an email...I manned up, got the 7 Amp Fuse in it...and the rest is History. After my momentary lapse of reason...I am glad I did not send the ZMA back an cut my nose off to spite my face.

Here's hoping...Dave1210 & SteveC...whom are communicating with us here...have not much longer of a wait.   Cheers, Stone

« Last Edit: 02/06/14 at 17:49:21 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #641 - 02/06/14 at 17:59:16

I should be next.  According to Sarah, the amp is near complete, except for caps (not the Red Nuclear NOS's).  Apparently, it's a cap they order in small batches and it is taking longer than expected to get the reorder in.  Also, the caps are going through a cryo process, and I'm not sure (didn't ask) if the cap supplier is doing the cryo or they are being shipped elsewhere for that.  Last I checked (1/24), they were expecting the caps to take another 2 weeks.  The wait is pretty painful at this point (I think I placed the order Mid Oct), but I'm sure it will be worth it.  

I will definitely be posting thoughts throughout my ZMA journey.  

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #642 - 02/06/14 at 18:11:36

Those caps/cryo are totally worth the wait - let alone the whole amp.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #643 - 02/06/14 at 18:37:07

I'm so glad you did order the HR-1s stone. I mean you have that amazing ZMA. . . why not give it the Steve and Bob flagship speakers to rule over!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #644 - 02/06/14 at 19:22:59

You know it Lon X 2 (Pair).

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro