Send Topic Print
The MYSTERY AMP ! (Read 181843 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Re: The MYSTERY AMP !
Reply #600 - 01/29/14 at 23:15:22

Digger, what Tube Amp are you running at 60 watts per channel?

I assume your're following this Thread with interest in how NO Negative Feedback in the push pull ZMA, with no circuit boards, Cryo Jupiter Caps with Tube Regulation can sound/do for your Music?! The ZMA sounds like my SE84CS SET Amp, but with the Power of 125 watts per channel.
This I discerned in its 30th hour! I now have 43 hours on it.

1) It won't be going back.
2) I would own a 75 watt or higher push pull Tube Amp, if it made better music than my ZMA. I have listened to a few in the 8 to 12k range...they sound like Solid State...because of the necessary feedback needed and their being sooooo NOT, Steve's Topology. ...like I said above, SE84CS/CKC....with Power.

I don't blame you for modifying the Polk LS-70. I still remember them compared to the LS-90's/we salesman-did not like them. I sold them at Audio King back in 93'....kinda like an Ultimate Electronics, but with more class.

Anyway, the LS-90's I do have tweeked with necessary large Tiptoe's Spikes under the Speaker's. However, sandwiched between the Tiptoe Cone and the Speaker base, I have 28 lb Vibrapods for each Tiptoe. Night and day Tonal Balance adjustment to the Speaker. Furthermore, for complete Resonance Control, I have 2 Megafeet/Mapleshade Brass Weights on top of each Speaker. You have to be careful with weight on top....not to over do it. End result? ...a great Speaker....that has great driver's....but needed help with the weak enclosure. The LS-70 might not suffer the same issue....with your upgrades to it.

....throw, some good Room Treatment in & Power Treament (you don't need to kill the mosquito with a Sledge Hammar), my Front End & Kimber Select...I have my Nirvana. I also rotate two pair of other Speakers in the Listening Room. I am considering making it 4 pair, with the HR-1 Omni's     -Stone

« Last Edit: 01/29/14 at 23:16:13 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #601 - 01/29/14 at 23:53:31

Hey Stone, I knew you would be enthused with this amp!

Two things:

1. Don't you think it's better to say the ZMA is tube-regulated rather than -rectified?

2. I think one day you'll be trying out the Decware Monos!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #602 - 01/30/14 at 00:07:14

Stone,
      I'm running a modded Jolida 502 P at 60 watts. This amp is the 6550 power tubed version not the El34 version. My Polk 70's I wasn't impressed with in stock form. I don't suffer with any cabinet problems as you have mention with your 90's. Mostly driver and crossover modifications needed to correct the LS 70's now very nice. There is no longer a speaker buried in a blanket sound to them. I'm running 60 watts at 4 ohms thru these and a pair of Pioneer HPM 100's. The Pioneers weaknesses may lay in the upper ranges where my Polks with the Morel drivers are very strong. The bass in the HPM 100's with 12" drivers are shining on the bottom end. Need to gut the mids and highs on the 100's and just put a low pass in and use them that way would be nice.
          Yes, I am following the ZMA do to my future interest in owning. I like hearing your and Ravens perspectives of these amps and learning more about your backgrounds on sound in order to make assessments of what is being observed in these amps. I have been around live music for a good number of years when I was younger and spent about 5 years in recording and mixing music as a hobby. My days of playing guitar ended some years back do to life changes and time and energy restraints. I do very much appreciate quality sounding equipment even with older ears I'm sure my hearing isn't what it used to be anymore.
          Keep your comments and assessments coming I enjoy reading about them.

Cool

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #603 - 01/31/14 at 19:43:39

Steve, is most certainly in his masterpiece stage of design for his Amplifier's (this/his ZMA). I will not be changing my order to a pair of HR-1's. I can't wait to get the Torii IV. I will figure out a way in the Fall, to purchase the Omni's.   -S

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #604 - 01/31/14 at 19:47:10

LOL, and I thought I changed my mind a lot!

I still want a set of radials, but that's put off for a while, especially with the P10 on the way, and a possible wedding next year.

« Last Edit: 01/31/14 at 19:53:24 by Lonely Raven »  
WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #605 - 01/31/14 at 20:17:40

At this point, I would be happy with just the ZMA in my system!  It's still sitting on the bench waiting for caps to arrive, and then onto QA...  

While waiting, I am putting the finishing touches on my room.  Will send some pics when I get a chance.  

I am glad you guys are enjoying the amp.  Your descriptions are causing me great anticipation.  SuperZen with more power, weight, harmonics, tone and clarity is exactly what I was looking for.  I can't wait to get it onto the rack!  

Cheers and happy listening!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #606 - 01/31/14 at 20:22:56

I did some quick math. I'm putting in about 25 hours a week, so I figure I'll hit that 600 hour mark that's been Guestimated as the breakin point in about 5 months.

The honeymoon period has clearly passed - Going from ground zero (less than 5 minutes burn in at Steve's), to where I am now - it's clearly a whole different/better amp. I'm honestly giddy at the thought of what it's going to be like once it blooms.

At this point I'm sure all you future ZMA guys are going to love this - it's a truly amazing machine.

« Last Edit: 01/31/14 at 21:50:09 by Lonely Raven »  
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #607 - 01/31/14 at 21:03:10

Eric you are going to love the sound of the system with the P10. Any further impressions of the power cord?

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #608 - 01/31/14 at 21:04:40

stone_of_tone wrote on 01/31/14 at 19:43:39:
Steve, is most certainly in his masterpiece stage of design for his Amplifier's (this/his ZMA). I will not be changing my order to a pair of HR-1's. I can't wait to get the Torii IV. I will figure out a way in the Fall, to purchase the Omni's.   -S

Stone, just place your order for the Omnis now. They won't ship til the fall anyway. Smiley

Personally, enjoying the amazing sound of my Omnis right now as I type, I think you need these more than a Mk IV. I mean you have great Decware amps arleady. You need their ultimate speakers. You just might retire one of the other pairs you have. No shit.

« Last Edit: 01/31/14 at 21:29:21 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #609 - 01/31/14 at 21:56:38

Quote:
Eric you are going to love the sound of the system with the P10. Any further impressions of the power cord?

Not really - I've not had time to really evaluate the power cord, Herbie's speaker footers, or the iso-cups and tenderfeet. They are all in place, but I really don't have time to A/B and play around.

The tube dampers however are a clear difference, both in my room, and when I brought the ZMA over to Palomino's house. I loaned him my spares and he's pretty sure he's going to order a set. The sharpening effect they have I liken to nudging a projector that last 2% from focus, to *perfect* focus.

I figure, P10 and dedicated circuits, Herbie's gear all around, and the room treatments - I have a foundation for an amazing system (any system really). The Oppo - ZMA - MG944 should do well in this room long term.

« Last Edit: 01/31/14 at 22:02:03 by Lonely Raven »  
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #610 - 01/31/14 at 21:59:37

Cool. I really think the Herbie's stuff (footers and tube dampers) are the icing on the cake after you get the power treatment in hand. I think the P10 is going to make a big impact and after that power cords may make a big impact. I know when I put my Power Plant Premier in I found the sound of every power cord in place to be clearly delineated, sometimes not for the best.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #611 - 01/31/14 at 22:06:20

Quote:
. I know when I put my Power Plant Premier in I found the sound of every power cord in place to be clearly delineated, sometimes not for the best.

I'm kind of worried about that actually. I'm tapped funding wise, and I'm not sure I can afford another $175 power cord that I'll probably need between the P10 and the wall.

Of course, I'll try the Pangea between the P10 and the wall, and my hand braided Zen Styx type wire on the ZMA, and vice versa and see if I can live with that. I might even drop a few bucks and buy some sort of braided shielding or flat copper shielding and re-wrap my Styx type power cable, since PS audio recommends a shielded cable on the P10. Maybe that would help a bit...

I would certainly be happy with Blacker Blacks and sharper focus on top of everything else I have though!

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #612 - 01/31/14 at 22:22:39

I hear you Lon. I will just straight up order the HR-1's next month. The time table will workout just fine...as you eluded too. I am still getting the Torii IV too....you can find me at 1/06 Larry B.

600 hours?....I know it will get even better LR....but with my Kimber Select 1030 IC & Kimber Select 3035 Speaker Cables...it is the SHit....already....I like taking a great Front End....Cabling....and Decware into my 2K to 4k pair of Speaker's (3 pair alternating)....and make them over achieve. Thus, why, the HR-1 Omni's will be the 4th Pair to grace the Listening Room. All else, is in the Living Room Mid-FI Rig....which does not suck to much. However, it is not the Listening Room with Decware & AA, with Kimber Select, obviously.

I should add, the Torii IV is not coming in to decide whether to keep to the ZMA or IV? It is coming in of its variation. For example, I did not upgrade my SE84CS....because you don't mess with stock perfection. I just got a Super Zen CKC too....which has its own perfection too.

Stone.......of Tone............off to Party.  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #613 - 01/31/14 at 23:45:22

Okay, glad you're going to order the HR-1s. I still don't see why you need a Mk IV with the amps you have, but it's your money to burn! I tried to see why I would need a ZMA with the amps I have and came to the conclusion I don't, I've a great system or two and am holding steady!

I can't wait for you to experience the ZMA a year from now or so!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #614 - 01/31/14 at 23:47:06

Lonely Raven wrote on 01/31/14 at 22:06:20:
I'm kind of worried about that actually. I'm tapped funding wise, and I'm not sure I can afford another $175 power cord that I'll probably need between the P10 and the wall.

Of course, I'll try the Pangea between the P10 and the wall, and my hand braided Zen Styx type wire on the ZMA, and vice versa and see if I can live with that. I might even drop a few bucks and buy some sort of braided shielding or flat copper shielding and re-wrap my Styx type power cable, since PS audio recommends a shielded cable on the P10. Maybe that would help a bit...

I would certainly be happy with Blacker Blacks and sharper focus on top of everything else I have though!

Ah don't worry about it! Just put the best cord you have on the P10 for now, and in time you can add power cords to all the components and you'll really reap the benefits. And you'll have great sound in the meantime. I'm really excited that you're getting the P10, I'm anticipating it will be a game changer.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 ... 74
Send Topic Print