Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 ... 74
Send Topic Print
The MYSTERY AMP ! (Read 155997 times)
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Re: The MYSTERY AMP !
Reply #570 - 01/23/14 at 20:53:22

heard the Torii  IV, III, ZMA and mono's at zenfest... I'm with you llance... I might see a ZMA in my future... but my Torii3's not going anywhere in the foreseeable future - pure sonic nirvana.  Honest-to-God... I'm afraid to touch anything in my main system these days, it's never sounded better and I'm afraid I'll futz it up!
Grin

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
stellablues
Verified Member

Reply #571 - 01/24/14 at 00:13:49

You guys are killing me with this torii III talk. I am buying my ZMA but have never heard any decware product ... perhaps I should have purchased a used mk III first and waited a few years to see how the ZMA reviews came out... argh.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #572 - 01/24/14 at 00:29:20

I called Sarah today to check on the status of my Mystery amp (002) and it looks like it's going to be another 2+ weeks to finish the build.  They are waiting on a batch of caps to come in.  I had a funny feeling the last stretch was going to seem like forever...

IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #573 - 01/24/14 at 00:35:49

Stellablues-  Don't worry too much, there is enough of a Decware signature common to them all, and it's really tasty.

« Last Edit: 01/24/14 at 00:36:17 by ski bum »  
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #574 - 01/24/14 at 16:27:25

I got a Lemon ZMA so far.

It constantly & consistently blows fuses. It was to ship with 6 amp fuses...it came with two fives. I have tried 6 amp fuses as well=still blows the fuse. The Torii uses 5's ....ZMA uses 6's. Obviously, a better final QC checklist needs to take place when you're shelling out 5K.

I spoke with Steve/he recommended the 6's=and I sent an email mid-day yesterday. No response to the email that went directly to Sarah and flagged. So, of course I know she received it.

The ZMA will run periodically, but when you shut it off after a Listening session and turn back on for your next session, it will blow the fuse.

This should have been caught on the test bench...using multiple different outlets! Of course, I trouble shot my whole System and all is working 1st class.  

I will drop another $10 to $15 bucks today on 7 & 8 amp fuses....and see what happens.  ....pissed off-Stone....Amp is extremely truncated and grainy in the highs...and absolutely has no bass...with 14 hours on it. It would have 35 hours on it by now...but it keeps blowing fuses...so it might have other issues too!

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #575 - 01/24/14 at 16:37:35

I'm sorry to hear that brother. Sounds like an electronic fault. I'm not sure I would put bigger fuses in it unless Steve recommends it. That sounds like it needs to go back to figure out where the fault is.

I'm pretty sure mine has 5 amp fuse BTW - no popping issues. So something electrical is probably faulty. Maybe one of the caps went bad? Or a regulator tube is shorting?

« Last Edit: 01/24/14 at 16:38:30 by Lonely Raven »  
WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #576 - 01/24/14 at 17:38:36

Bummer Stone! Not sure I'd do the 7 or 8 amp fuses either. . . but I know how much you wish that would work!

Hope it gets resolved without the amp taking a trip on back.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #577 - 01/24/14 at 21:43:10

Actually, the ZMA is spec'd out for a 5 amp fuse... but I told my guys to ship it with a 6 amp just to be safe since the big red caps take a while to fully form.  Sadly they did not, but apparently it wouldn't have made any difference.  It worked well here having never blown a 5 amp fuse during the 12 times it was cycled at various stages of the testing/listening.  I listened to it personally and it was not bass shy or etched.  

The fact that the amp works once you get it going means the turn on surge is what causes the fuse to blow.  Perhaps the freezing temperatures during shipping irritated the caps.  We will see if the the 7 or 8 amp fuse blows.  If they do I recommend getting the amp back here so we can find out why.  You will then have the option to walk away without a restock fee or have us send it back to you repaired and reset the 30 day trial on our dime.  If the 7 or 8 watt fuses do work, I would expect that after 30 days a 5 amp could be installed without further issues.

If you patients holds out just know we always make it right.  

WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #578 - 01/25/14 at 03:16:43

Hey Stone,

Don't give up on it work through the problems in the end you will be very happy you did I believe and thank yourself for being patient. I hope to have one myself someday. Its not very far from where your at now to Steve's shouldn't take to long to get her back. If it stay's this cold I would probably follow Steve's advice and try to keep on using it and hope Steve's hunch is right. Sorry to see you having all of these problems that's usually my luck in life almost guaranteed.

Good Luck!

Cool

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #579 - 01/25/14 at 04:16:01

Steve, the 7 amp fuse is working! I cycled through the ZMA 6 times with no fuse blow. I apologize for my over reaction. Especially, when I had not tried the 7 amp fuse yet. I will put the 5 amp back in, as you suggested in 30 to 40 days. It seems to be those cold Caps.

I have to say, she is sounding fuller, just waxing and waning like the CKC and III did. I will exercise patients moving forward.

Digger, I usually have pretty good luck. Sometimes though, I engage my mouth before putting my brain in gear.  ::)  -Stone

« Last Edit: 01/25/14 at 04:19:33 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #580 - 01/25/14 at 13:10:35

I would probably have had a little "the sky is falling" moment in your situation too. $5K and the seemingly endless anticipation of getting the amp and all.  Happy it worked out.  Have fun with your new toy.

Greg

« Last Edit: 01/25/14 at 13:11:19 by Greg12 »  

Torii MkIII, DM947 speakers, Oppo 105
  IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #581 - 01/25/14 at 15:03:35

Stone,
     I understand what your saying. I had an issue with my CSP3+ and have to say kind of panicked do to not having previous dealings with Steve and company. It was a internal problem not obvious from UPS rough handling and Steve found it and made every thing good. I hung in there and worked through the problems and now have full trust in Decware and Steve making things right. I don't blame you for panicking a bit 5 g's isn't spare change that most of us just have laying around its huge for me also. I am so happy I hung in there with my CSP3+. I don't feel I would of ever been satisfied with another product that would of replaced it. I love my CSP3+ and its voicing makes everybody elses equipment sound good so I can't imagine what owning a dedicated Decware amp would do for my listening pleasure. Hopefully someday I can find out.

Cool

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #582 - 01/25/14 at 17:53:37

For those who don't know or haven't seen it, this is the case that Steve ships the Mystery Amp in. It's made by Pelican - it's airline approved for transport of fragile gear and weapons. It's got a pressure valve to balance the internal air pressure when it's in the cargo hold of a plane. They call it nearly indestructible - it's the real deal in gear protection. Yet Steve told me he's had shippers manage to crack them and damage the gear inside!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #583 - 01/25/14 at 19:01:49

This Pelikan case also ships with the Torii amps. I have one.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

My owner only hears
to 16K WELL I can
hear to 60K!

Reply #584 - 01/27/14 at 00:52:42

I have a brief case size Pelican case for my Mac Mini and accessories. They are top flight protection. Only thing you could do I guess is jacket the whole thing with stainless steel armor.

Anyone remember the Samsonite luggage gorilla commercial from the 70's? This is the picture that comes to mind when you say they damaged the amps in these Pelican cases.

Back to your regularly scheduled program. Wink

« Last Edit: 01/27/14 at 00:53:03 by Chris K »  

Hi-Fi Gear: More than I need! Not as much as I want!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 ... 74
Send Topic Print