360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Re: The MYSTERY AMP !
Reply #526 - 01/14/14 at 17:40:56

I was looking at the build sheet to see if my Torii was on it yet (1/07), not yet.

However, I noticed the two "Cryo Treatment" Mystery Amps...pretty cool. ....parts cryo'd or tubes....or both?  Steve send them (parts-tubes) out to do this or done in-house?

Inquiring minds, want to know.  :)    -S

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #527 - 01/14/14 at 18:10:25

I noticed that last night as well - since the previous state was "Winding Transformers", I can only assume part of the custom manufacture of those transformers is Cryo treating them to make them play smoother, and with less distortion.

I don't recall Steve saying anything about this anywhere, but seeing as how these are a "cost no object" design it would make sense.

On a completely different topic - I'm curious about the OA3 tubes - aren't there some that glow blue? Or was that a completely different regulator tube?

« Last Edit: 01/14/14 at 18:13:19 by Lonely Raven »  
WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #528 - 01/14/14 at 19:11:37

LR - blue glowing tubes....

OB3's -

http://web.archive.org/web/20130218185403/http://www.decware.com/newsite/TORII.h...

way down the page on the old Torii MK.III webpage.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #529 - 01/14/14 at 20:39:59

Thanks for that!

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #530 - 01/14/14 at 20:48:46

I'd be very surprised if the transformers are cryo'd.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #531 - 01/14/14 at 21:17:35

Quote:
I'd be very surprised if the transformers are cryo'd.

so would I... custom wound and potted - yep, but taken to at least -238 degrees Fahrenheit or colder for an extended period - I doubt it.  Possible I suppose, but not likely.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #532 - 01/15/14 at 03:20:13

I'll ask Steve when I talk to him next, what exactly gets Cryo'd

So, another minor update - well, not really, just something that made me smile.

So I come home, and Brianne has the amp powered up for a couple hours already; yeah, still a keeper.

I put on Patricia Barber - Blue Cafe (no subwoofer, just enjoying the grunt of the ZMA) and I check mail and packages and I'm pleasantly surprised to see my Pangea AC 9 SE that was recommended previously.

Nice, fat, garden hose of a cable...kinda intimidating honestly, especially since I thought the 10AWG cable I made was already overkill - but I get the new cable unboxed and ready to install, I go behind the amp and unplug my power cable while the amp is still playing, casually plug in the 1.5M Pangia garden snake into my Isolation transformer, then into the ZMA.

The music never stopped! The caps hold so much power that the music kept going for the 3-4 seconds it took me to seat the new cable! It maybe dimmed a little, but just kept going! Amazing.

So, part two - I'm a real skeptic of power cords. Sure I can typically hear the difference between shielded and unshielded cable, but I've always felt that as long as a power cable does no damage, they will all sound the same. Patricia Barber is still playing while I eat and check up on E-mail and such...and...I'll...be...damned. All the drums sound sharper - from Bass all the way up to Cymbals. The music kept distracting me from what I was doing (usually a really good sign).

It could just be "a good night" for the amp or for my hearing or mood or whatever. So I'll give it a proper A/B test with a friend who's ears I trust, but my initial impression with the Pangea is this has changed for the better! I'm almost a believer!

P.S. Bri said now that I've drank the Kool-Aid, I need to start buying little magic sound bowls and hang crystals in the room to make things sound better. LOL

« Last Edit: 01/15/14 at 03:22:30 by Lonely Raven »  
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #533 - 01/15/14 at 06:50:33

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #534 - 01/15/14 at 11:36:52

I'm very glad you went for the cord Eric and so glad that results have been favorable. It will get better, too. I'm confident you'll be converted.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #535 - 01/15/14 at 12:29:06

Lonely Raven,

Glad you are enjoying the mystery amp.  It looks like quite the beast.

JD

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #536 - 01/15/14 at 13:10:04

Thanks Guys!

I'm really glad to have found my way back here after a 12 year hiatus. Things turned out very well; but then, that's how it seems to work in the world of Zen, doesn't it?

Iso-Balls and Tube Dampers due in later this week. Lets see if they bump it up a notch as well.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #537 - 01/15/14 at 14:11:28

Prepare to be impressed. Oddly enough, DO what I didn't do for far too long: play around with placment of the Iso-Cups, even in locations that wouldn't seem to work at first. They really change in sound according to placement!

« Last Edit: 01/15/14 at 14:14:35 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #538 - 01/15/14 at 14:34:36

Quote:
Prepare to be impressed. Oddly enough, DO what I didn't do for far too long: play around with placment of the Iso-Cups, even in locations that wouldn't seem to work at first. They really change in sound according to placement!

That kinda boggles me - I mean, the science makes sense. The iso-cups are acting like a vibration sink/damper, so if you can get the devices in a location of most resonance, you'd get the most improvement. Got that part. But the fact that our gear is this sensitive and that these problems have been plaguing us since...well, since the gear was first invented, and we're only now really addressing this correctly? That's part of what makes me want to cry SNAKE OIL! But the tube dampers on the little Zen amp had such a surprising *sharpening* of the music; I have to at least try to go all out on the ZMA and see what happens.

And I kinda did go all out: Besides the current gen of Iso-Cup/Ball, I also got Tenderfeet for the Oppo player, and a full set of Tube Dampers for the ZMA, even including the Regulator Tubes (which, IMHO I really don't see how this will improve anything, but I'm fine with being wrong), plus I got two Super Sonic Stabilizers that I'm going to try on both the Oppo, and testing on the Transformers or Caps of the ZMA. Again, another device I'm skeptical of, but that's why Steve H has such a great return policy.

In my mind, even if this stuff gives me a 2% improvement, it was worth the cost, and can be transferred to other devices down the line. I still believe that digital audio will explode in the next year or two, so I don't see me sticking with the Oppo forever, but the ZMA is here for the long stretch...or until Steve D comes up with an OTL Amp for me!   Grin

« Last Edit: 01/15/14 at 14:37:45 by Lonely Raven »  
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #539 - 01/15/14 at 15:08:06

I just noticed something in LR's photos, all of the screwheads are pointing in the same direction! That warms my heart.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 ... 74
Send Topic Print