The MYSTERY AMP ! (Read 156002 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: The MYSTERY AMP !
Reply #510 - 01/12/14 at 04:44:18

Hi everyone!

Sorry for being gone so long, but it's been insanely busy around here and highly focused so I've been short on time.

LR - I almost feel bad about what you have experienced with your new amp... indeed, these caps are brutal until fully formed and burned in.  Try this.  Remove the power tubes in the amp AND the OA3's.  This will basically remove all load from the power supply.  Then while you are home, let the amp set ON for 24 hours.  Then turn it off, re-tube it, and turn it back on.  let it warm up slowly for the next few hours and then turn it off for an hour.   Then turn it on and let is slowly warm up for another hour, and I think it will all snap together almost as if it were a magic act.  

Also, you need to hang a heavy comforter on the wall over the screen during serious listening, until such a time that you can install a curtain rod and install heavy movie curtains that can be closed when not watching movies.   It's absolutely essential.  Room acoustics are pressure relative.  The 2 watt amp couldn't develop enough energy to piss off your room.  Now things are different.

I am shipping the ZMA's with rare and expensive selected 6N23P-EV gold grid tubes which are highly resolute, focused and silky smooth.  However during the initial burn in process, it is no doubt that  the standard 6N1P-EV would sound better in it's place.

Keep us posted as things progress, and try to get some rest Wink

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #511 - 01/12/14 at 06:23:13

Quote:
LR - I almost feel bad about what you have experienced with your new amp... indeed, these caps are brutal until fully formed and burned in.  Try this.  Remove the power tubes in the amp AND the OA3's.  This will basically remove all load from the power supply.  Then while you are home, let the amp set ON for 24 hours.  Then turn it off, re-tube it, and turn it back on.  let it warm up slowly for the next few hours and then turn it off for an hour.   Then turn it on and let is slowly warm up for another hour, and I think it will all snap together almost as if it were a magic act.  

No worries Steve, I figured the caps would need forming. I think I'm already past that part with 20+ hours on the amp. It's got some heft and harmonics, I'm just needing to burn it in to get it into that liquid honesty - right now it's a bit dry, but sounding really good.

Quote:
I am shipping the ZMA's with rare and expensive selected 6N23P-EV gold grid tubes which are highly resolute, focused and silky smooth.  However during the initial burn in process, it is no doubt that  the standard 6N1P-EV would sound better in it's place.

I'm still tempted to get some cryo'd 6N23P-EV, but I don't know if they are gold grid ones...

Quote:
Also, you need to hang a heavy comforter on the wall over the screen during serious listening, until such a time that you can install a curtain rod and install heavy movie curtains that can be closed when not watching movies.   It's absolutely essential.  Room acoustics are pressure relative.  The 2 watt amp couldn't develop enough energy to piss off your room.  Now things are different.

Yeah, I was supposed to have my diffusers built by now - I have plans to have some stackable, 1' deep QRD diffusers in the front and on the sides (damn L-shaped room), but work and a bit of laziness has kept me from making any progress in the woodshop. The bigger amp is for sure "exciting the room". The amp sounds good at this point, but the room...not so much, even with all the absorbers and diffusers I have everywhere. I'm listening "off axis" right now while eating dinner, and I see how *not* being in front of the speakers gives you a great perspective as to how things are sounding.

« Last Edit: 01/12/14 at 23:45:53 by Lonely Raven »  
WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #512 - 01/12/14 at 17:11:52

Another trick is to angle the screen so the reflection hits the diffusers on the ceiling.

6N23P-EV are gold grid, yes as are 6N1P-EV.

WWW   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #513 - 01/12/14 at 23:51:31

I was thinking about making the screen swing upwards a bit, but I'd have to move the french cleat to the top to make that happen. Not an impossibility, just difficult.

I think an easier solution that I'm considering now is is some more sound absorber panels with hangers at the top of them. When I shut the projector down and go to two channel only mode, I would just hang the absorber panels from the screens wood frame - would take about 90 seconds to hang 3-4 panels covering a good portion of the screen.

That will work till I get the time to work on the diffusers.

« Last Edit: 01/13/14 at 16:25:59 by Lonely Raven »  
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #514 - 01/13/14 at 07:10:22

Glad to hear Eric, the ZMA has some heft and harmonics...and headed in the right direction.  I have a small and treated room. I will add more treatment and turn the room damn near in to a anechoic chamber...if I need to.   Grin

Looks like 10 hours a day/every day......for a month, is going to be needed with my ZMA.    -S

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #515 - 01/13/14 at 16:24:40

Quote:
I will add more treatment and turn the room damn near in to a anechoic chamber...if I need to.   Grin

I know your (half) joking, but, IMHO,  rooms like that sound creepy and unmusical. Unless your measuring speakers and really *need* a dead room, some reflection really helps the 3D image resolve in your room.

I helped setup a home theater and two channel system in a guys basement back in the day (I used to install home theaters here in Chicagoland a loooong time ago). He had exposed pink insulation all around, and super plush carpeting and padding on the floor. While I was envious of the ultra-low noise floor, and how clear the speakers were, it was really unnerving to be in that room without any reflections. Some people who entered actually felt vertigo due to the ears not having a sense of space to relate to the body.

Again, I know you're kidding, just relaying a tid-bit since it was brought up.

I have a calibrated measurement mic showing up this week - I'm going to give my room a good look over, and see what I can do to correct frequency response and better time the reflections. I know Steve is right about the screen between the speakers, and I've played with absorbers leaning in front of it, but it doesn't seem to help much. So my whole room is getting reevaluated. I can't let Palomino have the best imaging in our area!

« Last Edit: 01/13/14 at 16:27:25 by Lonely Raven »  
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #516 - 01/13/14 at 18:52:04

14 weeks ago today....I ordered mine. Oct 7th the day after Decfest. The first one........ .   Roll Eyes  So, yeah, I hope to get it this week.  -S

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #517 - 01/13/14 at 19:59:07

I hope so my friend...I *almost* feel guilty.

Almost.

Archie
Verified Member

Reply #518 - 01/13/14 at 23:47:35

Does anyone know the maximum current draw for the ZMA?  I thought I read it somewhere but I can't find it.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #519 - 01/13/14 at 23:51:46

I'm looking good LR. I'm in Testing on the Build Sheet. Looks like it should go out in a day or two.  No complaints.    -S

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #520 - 01/13/14 at 23:54:38

LonelyRaven,

Just think you'll probably be wanting to ad some larger woofers into the system to deliver the goods that this amp will have to offer. The larger woofers will add some looseness to your set up maybe 10"s but probably no larger than 12"s. I am really happy for you to have received the first Mystery amp. I know we will be hearing a lot about it from you over the next few months. Good luck in working out all of the details and getting it tuned into your room.

Enjoy, This doesn't happen often enough in life to find something so special to be excited about!

Cool

« Last Edit: 01/14/14 at 00:00:00 by Digger »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #521 - 01/14/14 at 00:12:39

Stone,
They ship on Tuesdays. Smiley

« Last Edit: 01/14/14 at 00:13:36 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #522 - 01/14/14 at 00:23:19

Lon,
    You messing with Stone!

Wink

Cool

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #523 - 01/14/14 at 00:27:18

Maybe just a little bit. Wink

I'd rather mess with this Stone.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #524 - 01/14/14 at 00:30:44

Oh Ya!

I get your point.

Shocked

Cool

« Last Edit: 01/14/14 at 00:39:21 by Digger »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 ... 74