Send Topic Print
The MYSTERY AMP ! (Read 137517 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: The MYSTERY AMP !
Reply #465 - 01/03/14 at 20:06:20

I don't mind the cold so much. I do however miss riding the motorcycle. haven't had much saddle time this year due to work.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #466 - 01/06/14 at 03:10:13

I am just being teased by my SE84CS with my Gallo 3.1's. I need the headroom of the ZMA....for the highs I know await. I got a taste of it with the Vincent Hybrid Amp.  However, it leaves class A and goes into Solid State edge pretty quick.... .

I love these Anthony Gallo's!

The Nucleus Reference3 is uniquely equipped to demonstrate the advantages of the leading high resolution formats, DVD-Audio and Super Audio CD. Very few high-end speakers, including the majority
of $10K+ models can approach, much less equal, the Nucleus Reference3’s extended high frequency response, and few offer near omni directional (300 degree) dispersion. For the ultimate in neutrality and transparency, the Nucleus Reference3 operates without a crossover across most of its bandwidth -- from
125 Hz to 50 kHz!
http://www.roundsound.com/nucleus-reference-3-1

« Last Edit: 01/06/14 at 07:30:35 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #467 - 01/06/14 at 03:48:27

Further thoughts:
You really can't find another comparable amp in the marketplace with the power setup Steve is using in the ZMA (as you mentioned jsm71).

The Torii's are push pull and I owned a Torii III for 3+ months. I wish I did not sell it...I would have automatically upgraded to the IV. At the time, I was an still am, enamored with the Set Sound of the SE84CS & CKC. You can't beat a single output tube per channel with Steve's Topology for immediacy with Pentodes run in Triode.

However, for the "more kohuna's" and extended high's headroom which I personally miss from the III (read: a little more SPL), I am confident the ZMA will be what I am looking for. Brutal honesty with muscle like a good Solid State Amp WITHOUT the Solid State edge.   -S

« Last Edit: 01/06/14 at 07:29:09 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #468 - 01/07/14 at 17:32:43

Okay, I will quit wetting my pants over my Anthony Gallo Acoustic Reference 3.1 Speaker's after this post. However, if you can find a pair used like I did for $1500.....they are a steal. They love Tubes...you do need a strapped pair of the Integrated/Rachel, Torii IV or ZMA though.

(Why I got them:  I have a ZMA & IV coming).   -Stone

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #469 - 01/07/14 at 17:50:11

I second the endorsement of AG Ref 3.1's.  Or actually any of AG's speaks with their CDT tweeter.  Even their little full range "orbs" have a very special sound even without the CDT tweeter.  I have a friend with a pair of the 3.1's.  He used to use big BAT tube mono's to drive them and then had a big PASS stereo amp.  He now uses a ClassDaudio amp to drive them.  I have never taken my Torii to his place to try on his 3.1's... perhaps I should.  I have been a fanboy for ribbon, electrostatic and basically most boxless speakers for years.  The AG 3.1's with the CDT will get you part of the way there.  I had assumed that the Torii's 25 watts would not be enough drive/volume for them at a rated 88db efficiency - but you never know till you try.  I didn't expect the Torii to drive my Martin Logan's either - but it does far better than I ever would have speculated.....

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #470 - 01/07/14 at 18:13:58

maddog07, you and I are in the same camp. CDTII Tweeter on the Gallo's is special. The single driver & high Eff. camp folks need to hear what we're running with Decware. If it was not great...we would not be doing it. I think some can't fathom I'm getting great music out the 3 pair I have found to work well with the SE84CS & CKC.

I would love to hear your Martin Logans with your Torii. I have no worries about either my ZMA coming here soon or Torii IV (coming in 8 to 12 weeks) running the Gallo 3.1's. I am running the Gallo's with my SE84CS, listening to Regina Carter-Motor City Moments, right now....just absolute magic at 78db SPL. Of course, I can't play them louder with this Amp....for obvious reasons.

I look forward to hooking my ZMA up to my he-man rig/Living Room System, Polk SDA SRS 1.2 Speakers as well.  -S

« Last Edit: 01/07/14 at 18:21:07 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #471 - 01/07/14 at 18:51:04

sorry stone... I'm one of those in the "single high efficiency driver, no xover" camp also for pairing with my Torii.  Though the Torii will drive the ML's... the magic of the Torii/Audio Nirvana full-rangers is undeniable and not achievable with the Torii/ML pairing.  I have 6 pairs of speakers in my inventory at the moment(insanity), each of them radically different in design and intended purpose/use.  I don't doubt for a minute that the AG 3.1's and Torii make beautiful music.  The CDT operates with no passive xover components, as do the mid drivers.  And of course the woofers are powered or their 2nd voice coil can be externally powered to extend their low end and also tweak the bass response.  So the no passive xover philosophy to muck up the signal is alive and well in the AG 3.1's.  I think the no xover aspect has as much to do with the magic of full-rangers as their typical high-efficiency does... put the two together and something very special occurs.
But I really can't explain why it has not donned on me to pack up my Torii and try it on my friends 3.1's... other than it might lead to a 7th pair of speakers and/or other equipment juggling... ergh.. now look what you've started!   Smiley

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #472 - 01/07/14 at 19:25:40

I know, I'm a trouble maker. You have to do it-bring your Torii over to your friends with the 3.1's! Yeah, I have a 11 pair of Speakers.  I even have a pair of Klipsch RF7 II's in my garage! For the garage (heated)...they are a lot of fun!  

Yes, "The CDT operates with no passive xover components, as do the mid drivers.  And of course the woofers are powered or their 2nd voice coil can be externally powered to extend their low end and also tweak the bass response".

.....this is what appealed to me and they are mint, with boxes and grills.

I did not think my SE84CS would make music with them,...but at 68db SPL to 78 max....because of the design...they do sweetly.  IF you know what you're doing....I don't fry voice coils etc... . What your friend is running the 3.1's with, including the BAT, would not be musical enough for me. I would own a BAT....but Decware is much much better.

Not until some serious burn-in is done, tube rolled with KT120's and my Cryoed 23P's...will the ZMA be taken out to the SDA SRS 1.2's for the fun of it.  I had a Primaluna ultra linear running the 1.2's at 42 per chanel with a mickey mouse power topology it had....it ran them fine...but this Amp had to be returned....for Decware superiority to come in.  I hope soon!  I want my ZMA...it's nice to be in the #1 slot & on the Bench!   Cheers, Stone

PS-I would find the Audio Nirvana full-rangers to bright....where it would sound like solid state for me.  Not enough Texture....just PA sounding for me.  Each to his own. Plus, the lower noise floor and timbre/texture of my Kimber Select 1030 IC & KS3035 Speaker cable is in a whole other league of providing musicality....the Nirvana's could not handle the resolution of these cables. Different paths at different levels for us all. The common denominator are these great Decware Amplifiers.

« Last Edit: 01/07/14 at 19:26:20 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #473 - 01/07/14 at 20:26:11

if there is anything the Audio Nirvana's are not - it is "bright" - they are the antithesis of bright "when" they are driven by a Decware Torii.  I would agree with you mostly about them being a bit lean, when driven by “most” voltage source sand amps that I have tried – for sure as compared to the Torii.  I have not had the opportunity to try very many different tube amps with them yet.  Any current source amp will perform better "to our ears" with the impedance curve of most any high-efficiency full-range driver AN, Lowther or otherwise.
If you have not owned or heard a pair of AN’s in a recommended box/tuning configuration, driven by a Torii... you have no idea what you're speculating about or missing.  They have defied everything I thought I had come to accept as "knowns" in over 30 years of chasing the audio holy grail - again this impression only stands when they are driven by the Torii.  In which case, they present a tonally dense, fluid resolution and realism I have not heard bettered anywhere at any price.  I of course have not heard "everything".  I don't know anybody who has.  But I travel a bit and hit every audio salon along the way I can as well as attending RMAF, CES, Zenfest and a few other "fest" around the country.  I have almost certainly heard more gear than the average audiophile.  That doesn't make me an expert, nor does it make my opinion decisive.  Hearing is an individual perception, and therefore everybody hears differently.  Nobody is right or wrong.  So far, everyone here local who has heard this combo has been dumb founded as well.  Don’t dismiss out of hand based on preconceived notions – that would be huge sonic loss on your part.  The one absolute thing I have learned in many years in this hobby, is not to dismiss components I have not heard with my own ears, despite what I think I know about how they are likely to sound or how questionable their designs might be as compared to my references.  If I had ignored this learning, I would never have found Decware as well as other very satisfying components.
You might also be very surprised to find out who “in the biz” has been evaluating new speaker model concepts utilizing AN drivers ...and endorses them whole heartedly….. an open mind leads to enlightenment.... .

maddog signing off on this topic for now.....

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #474 - 01/07/14 at 20:37:52

Was looking up the AG Reference Series, and realized they have a sub-satallite option that is basically the same thing as the big boys, but without the built in subs...which I'm fine with!

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/gallo14/1.html

Notice the amp pictured on the reviewers PC?

If I don't stumble into a great deal like Stone did, I might just pick up these Strada. If they don't supplant my MG944, I bet they sure would sound good at my main HT speakers...especially since they have a matching Center Channel!  :)

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #475 - 01/07/14 at 20:57:34

md, I have owned Zu Unions & Parker Audio Crusader's=sold. Just not my cup of tea. I have NEVER met a Whizzer Cone I liked. I did hear a pair of Hemp something or Nirvana's or Omega's at Decfest 2008....put in a box/not for me.

Yes, an open mind leads to enlightenment. Steve had the designer and Speaker's of Jan Zen (it spell corrects/so I spaced) in his Listening Room. Steve's Mono's, the ZMA are for the non-Whizzer's of the World.
Beating your drum that single driver is the only way is closed minded.

Furthermore, C5smithjack, over in the Creamy Decware with Martin Logan thread...is not going to stop enjoying his ML's...because you told him Single Driver is the absolute.
http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1386981742

LR, 3.1's are not just subs attached. They are well integrated/seemless to be precise.  NO...mid bass hump here.

However, the Strada's have to be pretty damn good.
I have seen these on his desk from past reviews....and he has had the Torii up on the Screen for some time too...pretty cool.   -S

« Last Edit: 01/14/14 at 22:39:47 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #476 - 01/08/14 at 03:20:43

I'll just leave this right here:

« Last Edit: 01/08/14 at 03:21:17 by Lonely Raven »  
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #477 - 01/08/14 at 03:42:14

I was sitting, listening to Darkside "Psychic" (awesome album btw) and decided to take a brief break.  On the way back I checked the 'real time build list', even though I knew my status was still hanging tight at "winding transformers", and lo and behold the #2 amp in the list is listed as 'Shipping Dept'.  Amazing! Please report back on listening impressions as soon as you wipe that PermaGrin off your face.  On second thought, don't wait, or we may never hear from you...

« Last Edit: 01/09/14 at 01:50:13 by Dave1210 »  
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #478 - 01/08/14 at 06:23:17

Did you pick it up LR? She sure looks pretty awesome!

That reminds me...I better transfer/pay-fortify my Visa.

Mine, is having Gold Inlay put on the Top of those gorgeous NOS Mallory Caps and around my Stepped Attenuator. The Inlay must be the reason yours is done first. I sent a great local Goldsmith on per diem down there. He never did call or email me today? Huh?  -S

« Last Edit: 01/08/14 at 06:27:32 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #479 - 01/08/14 at 11:03:56

Congrats!

Needs a good power cord! Smiley

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 74
Send Topic Print