Reply #435 - 12/21/13 at 04:49:23

Awesome Dave! Welcome to the first 5!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Re: The MYSTERY AMP !
Reply #436 - 12/21/13 at 15:06:21

Quote:
Lonely Raven wrote: That's exactly the one I'm listening to, and it's excellence is exactly why I wish I could turn it up more. There is something in there the 2 watts just isn't getting me - I guess it's the weight I'm missing.

The CKC with HSU Mid Bass Module will provide all the weight you could want from the CKC. Place your Mains where they do Mids & Highs best (Don't worry about the Bass). Connect the MBM to the CKC via speaker level connections and dial in any amount of wonderful Mid-Bass you desire to suite your room and taste.

The sound stage will be much bigger and much more powerful without Maxing out the volume on the CKC.

Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CKC amp, Klipsch RF-7 mains, HSU MBM-12 MK2 mid bass module, HSU ULS-15 sub
  IP Logged
Charnwood
Verified Member

Reply #437 - 12/21/13 at 17:27:34

Hi. I have a Mystery Amp on order too along with a pair of ERRx's. Being in the UK this is something of a gamble so I hope I've done the right thing. My Taboo Mk3 gives me confidence that I have.

Marantz sa-7s1 -> Audio-GD Master 8 -> Decware ZMA -> Decware ERR.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #438 - 12/21/13 at 17:56:37

Welcome Charnwood!

Yeah, you did good! I'm really blown away by the Mystery Amp!

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #439 - 12/21/13 at 18:04:32

DBC, I love my HSU MBM12 in my Living Room Rig!  I don't have it in the Listening Room...because I find the Room to small. I could not imagine not having it with my Polk SRS SDA 1.2's.

Going with Cryoed' KT120's now too! I have 6N23P-EV cryoed coming.  
(Listening Room: Kimber Select Reference, ZMA & Anthony Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1's.....Room Treatments).

« Last Edit: 12/21/13 at 18:06:30 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #440 - 12/21/13 at 19:05:33

I'm hoping to get back to reworking the garage today so I can start on my diffuser projects. I'm not sure I have enough wood for a prototype, so I might just make a couple smaller diffusers to start with...

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #441 - 12/21/13 at 19:26:56

LR, you're Workin' the Garage sweet!  I have a pair of Klipsch Reference RF-7 II's out in mine!  But, don't want to turn the heat on out there today!

I am with the Living Room RIG, with Stella Artois in hand-CRANKIN' LED ZEPPELIN....Live at the 02 Arena London.

Cheers, Atlantic Records in its heyday...and
Ahmet Ertegün!!!!!!!!!!!!    -Stone

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #442 - 12/21/13 at 19:52:45

My garage setup is one of those old Denon CD players with discrete power supplies in a copper chassis that has trouble opening and closing the tray - going into some 100 watt transistor "reference" amp from my Dad's old home studio, into some budget studio monitors that I rebuilt with better tweeters in a crossoverless design, with a waterlogged Klipsch 10" subwoofer. This is my "second system"  ::)

After the Decware amp into Decware speakers with the Maelstrom X 21" sub powered with 2k watts, it's a serious step down. LOL

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #443 - 12/21/13 at 20:09:35

Yup, my garage/patio system (and Living Room System)...makes me appreciate my Decware System's all that much more!  Have a great weekend!  -S

Listening/watching Eric Clapton Crossroads 2010.   Santa is bringing Crossroads 2013 in my Stocking.

« Last Edit: 12/21/13 at 20:11:16 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #444 - 12/21/13 at 20:17:08

LR

Sounds like a great garage system I guess you really don't have to worry about hurting it with all of the saw dust you'll be running through it soon from the sounds of it. Hope to see what you've come up with when you get one done. For now I just have to be a Mystery amp want ta be at least until I get my house and garage re-roofed this spring. Some times timing in life seems off! I guess I should be glad that the roof didn't end up a surprise after the Mystery amp although I would be able to listen to rain drops keep falling on my head in 3d and plenty of spaciousness. Ha Ha!

Bet your excited! Enjoy that thing I'll be looking forward to hearing about it once you have had time to give a serious listen to it in your setup.

Cool

« Last Edit: 12/21/13 at 20:27:18 by Digger »  
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #445 - 12/25/13 at 22:49:04

Time for another update Wink

Many might think that the Mystery Amp thread from a design perspective ended when the web page went online a couple weeks ago:  http://www.decware.com/newsite/MYSTERY.html

But that's actually not true...  With orders placed but no amplifiers built yet there was plenty of time to second guess yourself.  It's the most difficult test you'll ever have to pass as it continually challenges your subjective likes and dislikes.  Fortunately I do OK in that department because I explicitly trust my ears.  And I'm happy to report there is nothing I would want to change about the way the amp sounds.

Sound, is however only part of the game.  Usability, reliability, ease to build... etc.  Even though I have the first Mystery Amp as the build sample and it has one of my best layouts ever... it can still be improved.  You want everything to be easy to copy since we'll be building a lot of them.  So in that light I began to see a new layout.  The more I stared at the original layout, the more new layout appeared.

Keep in mind, the differences are subtle but just enough to tip the scale towards perfection - the obvious goal.  It looks slightly cleaner because it is, and will therefor be slightly easier to build.

Amps are built in three stages.  The first is assembling the chassis and all the parts that go on it.  The second (shown above) is called the base layout.  It consists of all the main power and ground paths and basically makes up a completed and working power supply.  The third is adding components on the tube sockets to create the audio circuit.

While I was at it I also spent a great deal of time wrestling with what to do about the bias circuit.   I spent so much time (days) getting the original to work the way I wanted it to, and now I'm second guessing it.  Compared to the vast majority of bias circuits I really felt it was a masterpiece of form and function.  It however shared a potentially fatal flaw just like most bias circuits that place the potentiometer in series with the bias voltage.  If the tube draws excessive amounts of grid current it's possible the rating of the potentiometer can be exceeded and cause it to open (fail).  That would remove the negative bias voltage from the grid and let your tube self destruct in a matter of minutes.  While the chances of this happening are only 1 in 1000, I plan to make 1000 of these amps.

So with this in mind, I had to redesign the bias supply from scratch so that the potentiometers were only used to pull voltage to ground for both the supply and the balance.  Sounds simple but it actually wasn't. Nevertheless, now it will be impossible for the condition of the pot or failure of a pot to kill the negative bias voltage.  Instead, it will just let the negative voltage go to max which is enough to completely shut off both tubes at the same time... and that's a big improvement over letting the voltage go to zero since doing so causing the tubes to draw the full current of the power transformer until they melt or the transformer melts or the fuse blows, whichever comes first.  

Anyway, a glimpse into the design process continues...

The amp pictured above is on my bench and nearing completion to become the new sample that everyone will use to build from.  We're going to start building the first production units directly after the holidays.

I can hardly wait to see how well this amp is received.  I'm committed to it.  Even if everyone hated it, we'd do whatever it took to make it great.  I don' think anyone's going to hate it though. Wink

Enjoy the holidays... time to do some listening. 

WWW   IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #446 - 12/26/13 at 19:32:31

Steve…thanks for the update.  Sounds like this explains the delay in production for the first Mystery amps.  I can’t speak for everyone else, but I am ok waiting for the perfect Mystery amp.    Sounds like you are putting the finishing touches on this beauty.  For those of us in the last 5% of waiting, I suppose this is the excitement that goes along with being early adopters for the new amp.  

Do you expect any of the changes to impact the sound profile of the amplifier?  Happy listening and looking forward to your impressions.

Cheers and happy holidays!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #447 - 12/26/13 at 20:14:47

Niiiiiice.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #448 - 12/27/13 at 02:27:16

Looks nice and neat. I would imagine keeping it clean will also aid in any trouble shooting that may need to be done 30 years from now. Looks like a nice simple layout. I know it is my un-educated electronic eye speaking here. I knew there was a reason I should of went into electronics instead of electricity classes years ago. I am envious for all that will be receiving one shortly.
     Steve great explanation about your design philosophy it really is why I plan on owning a Mystery amp in the future. Of course the sweet sound to! Looking forward to hearing every ones impressions of this wonderful amp.  

Sweet stuff here

Cool

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #449 - 12/27/13 at 18:00:32

Steve, thanks for your input/update. I too, can't speak for anyone else...but, when you think it is ready to ship...then it is ready to ship. I know you're making it as fool proof as it can be for a Music Lover Laymen like me.

I so look forward to it being soooo NOT Solid State (not a circuit board in sight)....right out of the gate.....with the headroom I now crave. The seasoning over time, I know will make me turn my head with a smile.   -S

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged