Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: The MYSTERY AMP !
Reply #420 - 12/18/13 at 01:47:46

He used to make a "buffer amp" so to speak, a single input no-gain preamp (without the "half-lit up" aspects of the ZBox). And he made the ZPre, which was a purist preamp with outboard power supply.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
jcharles
Verified Member

Reply #421 - 12/18/13 at 04:34:07

Lon, Raven and other Oppo BDP-105 direct to amp users,

I am aware of the argument that reducing the volume in a 32 bit chip domain will not adversely impact the sound of a 24 bit signal. However, over on the Modright forum they seem to believe that using the digital volume control has deleterious effects on the music (shallower soundstage, reduced weight, etc.) But trusting soul that I am, I am wary of the self interest involved when the sponsor of the forum sells expensive pre-amps; I'd gladly skip the expense of the preamp and  enjoy the simplicity of a direct connect. I gave up the hassle of analog years ago.

I tend to update systems (except digital front ends) about once every 20 years. Thanks for the continuing input.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #422 - 12/18/13 at 10:54:53

Well, I have to say that I haven't noticed any real audible artifacts in using the volume control of my PS Audio DAC Mk II above 65%, and it's quite easy with the efficiency of my spaekers and gain of my amp to do so.

But. . .on the flip side. . . I find every aspect of the sound to be at least a bit better with the use of the CSP2+ between the DAC Mk II and the Torii Mk III. I wish it weren't so  . . .but it certainly IS so for me. So I use the CSP2+ and enjoy the sound immensely.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #423 - 12/18/13 at 17:16:51

I agree Lon the csp2+ is a magical machine.  My Oppo 95 sounds much better when run through it instead of direct to my torii III unless I am watching a movie, then I cannot notice the difference.  IMO there is a large sonic improvement when streaming youtube or Pandora through the csp2+. You can really dial in the sound.

JD

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #424 - 12/19/13 at 19:48:02

Just got the notice, PARTS PULLED!

~Eric~

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #425 - 12/19/13 at 20:03:19

CONGRATS ERIC!

I know you might have to drink yourself to sleep for a few weeks. . .so try not to drive late in the day. Smiley

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #426 - 12/19/13 at 20:17:48

(wondering how much of a bribe it takes to get Steve to give me the #1 amp)  [smiley=10.gif]

Seriously though, Parts have been Pulled on Stone's amp for two weeks, and I saw a couple Mark IVs get started and finished around our two ZMAs, so I think they are building them together. They are the first ones, so Steve might not have the build process smoothed out yet. I know when I build guitar amps, the first one takes all day, and by the fifth amp I'm practically sleep walking through them in a few hours.

Uber-excited right now! Making it a little difficult to concentrate on work. LOL

maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #427 - 12/19/13 at 21:25:22

beowolf...

the Aesthetix Calypso can be "attained" pre-owned fairly reasonably.  If you would like more info and history on how I arrived at the Calypso destination, PM me.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #428 - 12/20/13 at 15:16:51

LR, no bribes now!

I am Uber excited too!

I am going nuts as well....because my Gallo 3.1's are begging for the ZMA.

They can play well with my SE84CS because, their is no crossover between the midrange and the tweeter. This is the revolutionary genius of the Gallo Reference 3.1 loudspeaker. The result is that all frequencies from one octave below middle-C to 35kHz are uncommonly pure, integrated, and relaxed. .....to say the least about these Speaker's!

....but they need the ZMA to drive them Home!
....I found a cool tweak for them too....a 15 ohm (5 watt or greater) wire wound resistor on the lower posts.
http://www.10audio.com/gallo_ref3-1.htm

I have my Croyed 6N23P-EV's coming too!  We need to stay focused....stay focused.  :o    -S

« Last Edit: 12/20/13 at 15:20:49 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #429 - 12/20/13 at 15:34:14

I'm so tempted to just throw my order in the cryo'd tubes as well, but I'll wait and see what the masses say. Besides, I want to break the amp in with the tubes provided and get a feel for it before I start making changes...gotta know what I'm working with!

I played Kind of Blue full blast on the Zen Amp last night...it sounded OK, but so needed that little extra push to make it come alive in the room. Then, same settings, played Lorde Royals and I sent the amp into some sort of wobble. It kinda made me laugh, and sad at the same time. The old Zen Amp will make a nice desktop amp for my PC once I get my guitar room/office put back together...

maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #430 - 12/20/13 at 16:42:16

LR...
sane strategy "break-in w/tubes provided"... hear it as the designer intended first and develop your point of reference.  but it is so painful and testing of one's patience to resist "tweaking" when you have a box full of tubes already in your inventory, acquired at the recommendation of the masses who have declared which tubes are "the tubes" to use.  I recently was going thru the same pain X 2... I had a new tube preamp also to get used to.. and my Torii III had not been back long from Steve installing the Jupiters on top of that.  For sure, if a person gets to changing too many things at once, we absolutely will loose track of what was responsible for the differences being experienced.... only change one thing at a time... has been my rule for years.  But I have trouble following my own rules from time-to-time.....

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #431 - 12/20/13 at 17:35:20

As you know LR, I want the Cryoed 6N23P-EV's for immediate back up if one or two of the sent 6N's is DOA. I have a boat load of NOS Sovtek 6922's....could have ordered 6N1P's for a whole lot cheaper.... .

However, I have read every word Steve has wrote in this thread..and read between the lines too. He plainly stated his affinity for the 6N23P-EV...so to put 6922's in or 6N1P's won't cut it for me. Furthermore, the 6N23P-EV prices are give or take at the Cryoed price anyway....so why not have them as a fun comparison against the control non-cryoed sent right?!

Fun stuff..... .  Plus, I agree, I would rather burn the Amp in for 200 hours before putting the Cryoed 23P's in or the KT120's I will have....but I need to make sure they are not DOA within a week or two of having them....for peace of mind to shelve them and come back to them much later.....after burn in with Steve's hand selected Tubes.  -S

I hear you...I only play Lorde out on the Living Room Rig. I have her performance from Jool's  Holland, two songs...and another from Serius Sat DVR'd. But now, with ZMA....I will be able to play that too (from CD)...in the Listening Room. I have three copies of Miles Kind of Blue...I get good results with two pair of Speak's in the Listening Room....but need the ZMA for the Gallo 3.1's

Jool's sat in with John Mayer last week....and man can he play Piano... .

Maybe, 8 months from now though, I prefer the KT120 with NOS Sovtek 6922's.  However, I must go with and have fun with the favored 6N23P-EV's from Steve and the Cryoed 6N23P-EV's too.
God knows, just down the road from me Audio Research still favor's the wonderful NOS 6922..... .

« Last Edit: 12/20/13 at 22:07:04 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #432 - 12/21/13 at 02:14:31

Have you guys heard the new HD remaster of Kind of Blue?  IMHO, it is noticeably better sounding than the Rebook CD (e.g. less compression/brick wall limiting).  I can't compare to the vinyl, because my collection hasn't seen the the light of day in some time, but the latest HD track is the best of the digital files I own.  I just wish I didn't have to buy the same album multiple times...

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #433 - 12/21/13 at 03:27:03

That's exactly the one I'm listening to, and it's excellence is exactly why I wish I could turn it up more. There is something in there the 2 watts just isn't getting me - I guess it's the weight I'm missing.

Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #434 - 12/21/13 at 04:05:29

LR…couldn't agree more…great sounding track, but the 2 watt amp just can't get loud enough.  That said, it is awesome at low volume, which is why I think we appreciate Decware.  We want the SuperZen on steroids!  Can't wait for the Mystery Amp.  I am 3rd in line and parts still haven't been pulled…

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 71
Send Topic Print