The MYSTERY AMP ! (Read 171333 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Re: The MYSTERY AMP !
Reply #405 - 12/16/13 at 15:29:05

U bet Lon, thanks.

LR, I know, Carly Simon singing "Anticipation" is playing in my head!

However, Steve's Bias Meter's alone....with their uniqueness, to provide what others don't...I assume takes time to build in, adjust & test. This Amp will be quite the purveyor of musicality!  

As you know, you have heard it with Redbook you had=and liked!

Harmonics...the Stone of Tone...with Gluteus Maximus = ZMA.   -S

« Last Edit: 12/16/13 at 15:36:15 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #406 - 12/16/13 at 16:16:36

Lon waited much longer for his HR-1, but he's already got great gear to keep him company during his wait...I'm practically in the stone age.  ;)
I'm not sure if it's a blessing or a pain that my Zen Amp decided it was time to bloom in the past two weeks. It really sounds amazing - which is good, because I was getting the itch to mod the snot out of it while I wait for the ZMA, now I'm just going to chill, and enjoy my time with what I have with my Zen brothers.

Funny side story - Brianne and I went to see Manheim Steamroller on Saturday - predictably they sounded heavily processed and pretty much exactly like the albums. During the intermission, Brianne leans over to me and says "you've turned me into an audio-snob! This sounds so much better at home!"  ;D

I smiled back and said, just wait till the Mystery Amp shows up! And I'm not sure if that enhanced or crushed the mood - she's tired of me bringing it up by now I'm sure.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #407 - 12/16/13 at 19:14:49

Manheim Steamroller, the worst recorded and compressed crap...as you attested to LR.

However, for me, I just put my Audiophile Hat away when I go to concerts and enjoy the show for what it is. As I am sure you did.

Furthermore, it is fun to have friends over, where they can wrap their brains around my he-man rig in my downstairs Living Room or my Fun Garage System. But, even though they hear the increased musicality of my Decware System(s)...it is not for them...which is fine...because it is not their hobby and passion.

If they question the price of my passion?  I just mention the $9,500 Snowmobile one just purchased.....and the couple of 4 wheeler's the other hardly rides. But, they sure look pretty on the Trailer!  I do and will continue to get a lot more enjoyable use out of my 3 Decware Amps & Gear than their stuff IMHO. Oh, I go up north and rent Sleds...then come home and enjoy my Decware Gear....much more fun!   -Stone

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #408 - 12/16/13 at 19:23:56

Yeah, I enjoy watching musicians play - so I just sat back and enjoyed the show for what it is. It did make me want more bass though...their four 18" subwoofer cabinets sounded really good where we were, and made me want another 21" woofer in my home setup.

Part of why I had no problems selling my $2200 acoustic guitar and vintage (non-running) Porsche to afford the Mystery Amp, is because I know I'd use it almost every day...compared to the acoustic I haven't taken out of the case in a year, and the Porsche that's been in storage at a friends house for 8! So yeah, the Decware gear gets MUCH more use than the other hobbies.

It was also pointed out to me that I've had my Zen amp for 15 years - prorate that $500 purchase, plus $288 "tune up" I just had done, and it's more than been worth it. That's like less than $5 a month! LOL So I figure the ZMA is going to be with me another 15-20 years, and that makes it really worth the cost considering how much I'll be using it!

jcharles
Verified Member

Reply #409 - 12/17/13 at 06:31:42

Hi all,

I have been looking at a Pass Labs INT-30 but the MA with its big capacitors and reduced tube count has my attention. What are the initial preamps with a remote recommendations?

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #410 - 12/17/13 at 14:55:41

Welcome to the forums, jcharles!

Well the nice thing about the Decware gear is you don't *need* a preamp - and they could enhance or decrease the quality of the sound.

I for example, use my Oppo BDP-105 directly to my Decware amps. But if I needed more inputs, I would look into something very transparent like the Decware preamps, assuming they have enough inputs for your needs.  

I really haven't tried much else since I like my setup very simple, and as short of a chain as possible. Others who seem to live for the gear-merry-go-round may have more insight for you.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #411 - 12/17/13 at 15:18:46

Not many of us here seem to have preamps with remotes. I've not ever had one, no experience to relate.

Preamps with Decware amps are a great combination. . .if they are excellent preamps. The Decware preamps ARE excellent preamps. If you need a lot of inputs, the Ultra would be great. But no Decware amp comes with a remote.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #412 - 12/17/13 at 16:33:46

If I buy one, this will be the one.
http://www.herronaudio.com/vtsp3specs.html

I use a couple of DACS with volume control directly into my Amps.

I have come close to having a INT-30A delivered to the house. However, my Decware Amps Truth of Timbre, including the Torii III I had...can't be beat, IMHO.

I am awaiting delivery of a ZMA next month.  -S

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #413 - 12/17/13 at 18:16:57

for you zen brethren that desire a "full function" preamp.. or at least one with remote control of volume, that is transparent or "brings" goodness to the table... I had, and I stress "had" been on an absolute preamp quest for about three years.  After at least a dozen moving thru the listening room, my search ended with the Aesthetix Calypso.  It has remote volume, switching, balance, a display that can be turned off, and most of all is as "clean and transparent" a preamp as I've been able to find - depending on the tubes you put in it.  And you can tailor its sound to match your taste also - neutral or tubey euphonic by rolling different tubes.
I also found the Wyred4Sound STP-SE to be very transparent also… dead quiet, great functionality, display a bit small, but very, very clean sound, no electronic haze or veil.  If you don’t want the ability to tailor sound with tube rolling, and want remote functionality and “neutrality” I can recommend the Wyred.  I would get a CSP-3 if Steve would just put a remote controllable volume pot on it…  might get one anyway.  But music listening is a “relaxation” exercise for me usually, and jumping up and down out of my listening chair to tweak the volume every 3-4 minutes pretty much defeats that purpose.

LR, I need to talk to you about your Oppo as being the center of a “music server” based system… that is my current quest, now that my preamp journey ended, and amp for now(Jupitered Torii III).  I am shiny disc based only at the moment and want to move this aspect toward the goal of “relaxation” also… I want to be able to select music from my iPad wirelessly… without getting out of my chair.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #414 - 12/17/13 at 19:18:15

I'm sure there are other options, but the two I know of now are the Oppo BDP-105 and the PS Audio PWD MK II. The Oppo Media Control App is very basic, and I wish it had better shuffle options, but the software is rock solid on the iOS. I can't say as much for the Android version they just released on the 10th.

With the Oppo, I literally have my whole audio collection on a 2TB Western Digital Hard Drive. I've got a folder for my own ripped audio, a folder for DSD downloaded, FLAC downloaded, and FLAC Files "from friends". The Oppo can also play off Media Servers and NAS drives on the network, and even Shared Folders on Windows machines (I'm unsure about Mac since I don't care for Apple products).

The Oppo Media Control App has a virtual remote control that looks just like the physical one, it's got a simplified playback control screen that shows the album, Track Forward/Back/Pause/Play, and volume slider, and has another screen that allows you to search through your digital media - it has it all in alphabetical like a digital phone directory.

It's an amazing feat for $1200 - I'm sure there are better DAC out there, but a Universal Disc Player/DAC with Async USB to connect to your PC, network port, and full 7.1 surround? Unheard of!

If you just need a DAC, I'm sure there are more bang for your buck options out there, but I needed a good Disc player and DAC, so this worked out for me. All the network and USB stuff is just icing on the cake.

My setup is simply -

Oppo DAC with Western Digital 2TB Drive
Decware Silver Reference IC
Zen Amp (soon to be ZMA)
My DIY version Zen Styx
Decware MG944

DONE.

« Last Edit: 12/17/13 at 19:33:04 by Lonely Raven »  
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #415 - 12/17/13 at 23:59:34

Quote:
stone said,
If I buy one, this will be the one.
http://www.herronaudio.com/vtsp3specs.html

Nice, but pretty pricey!

Quote:
maddog said,
for you zen brethren that desire a "full function" preamp.. or at least one with remote control of volume, that is transparent or "brings" goodness to the table... I had, and I stress "had" been on an absolute preamp quest for about three years.  After at least a dozen moving thru the listening room, my search ended with the Aesthetix Calypso.

Really nice, but even more pricey!

Quote:
LR said,
It's an amazing feat for $1200 - I'm sure there are better DAC out there, but a Universal Disc Player/DAC with Async USB to connect to your PC, network port, and full 7.1 surround? Unheard of!

I could look this up, but I'm feeling lazy Grin ... how many analog sources (if any) can the Oppo BDP-105 support?

All I need is a Preamp with a remote that could support 3 sources (1) Phono Stage, (2) DAC, and (3) Oppo BDP-95 (but soon to be 105).  I don't want/need or want to pay for headphone options because I already have the Taboo (so I doubt that any preamp is going to beat that).  

It's one of the reasons I don't like the CSP3 (aside from not having a remote) it can only support 2 sources and has too many headphone options.  I know I keep saying this, but maybe Steve will hear me one time ... why can't he build a cheaper CSP model without all the headphone options and just use that space to add 2 more sources for a total of 4 sources?  I would even forgo the remote if I could just get it like that.

Has anybody ever went down the Passive Preamp route?  Looking at Tortuga Audio, but I see the lack of gain as a downside in some instances with the Taboo, there are some times (only when watching movies and especially during quiet dialog scenes for some reason) that I want a little more oomph out of it.

« Last Edit: 12/18/13 at 00:01:56 by beowulf »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #416 - 12/18/13 at 00:27:26

I have a CSP2 Steve built me without headphone output, but I don't think this allows him space for additional inputs the way that the circuit is. I could be wrong, a call to Steve is the best way to find out.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #417 - 12/18/13 at 00:52:56

Thanks Lon, yes I remember Steve mentioning in another thread that it would take a new chasis and/or circuit design (something to that effect).  Still it would be a cool alternative and a (possibly?) cheaper product to just leave out the headphone options althogether if they are not needed.  I can't imagine 2 more analog inputs would be as costly as dual headphone inputs, but then again I know nothing about building amplifiers.

For all Decware's awesomeness ~ IMO Steve has some redundancy in his products that could use some reworking.

« Last Edit: 12/18/13 at 00:55:32 by beowulf »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #418 - 12/18/13 at 01:02:10

When you are a small company sometimes adding a lot of options is not a good or rewarding idea or practice. Steve very carefully works out what he can produce and how he can produce it with sound quality being paramount. I think if he could, and it would not hurt hte sound, he would. If he's not doing so. . . well there's probably the answer.

There's always the Ultra! Smiley That's an expense. So is two CSP3s. . . but that is still cheaper than some of the other options out there and who knows if they sound like or have synergy with Deware products.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #419 - 12/18/13 at 01:06:21

True, very true ... I may be wrong, but didn't he make a more traditional preamp similar to that a long time ago (pre CSP)?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 ... 74
Send Topic Print