Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 74
Send Topic Print
The MYSTERY AMP ! (Read 109891 times)
JD
Seasoned Member

Re: The MYSTERY AMP !
Reply #390 - 12/13/13 at 12:45:46

Lon,

Best description yet of the radials.  I find that you can make subtle changes in the sound with various tubes but the signature that you described stays true (I only have the ERR's). For example in the input position I find my nos mullard cv2493's add warmth and have a slightly loose top end where my telefunken e88cc's (fav so far) have a real airy 3d quality that envelops you with a tighter top end...the speakers truly disappear.

JD

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #391 - 12/13/13 at 13:15:36

Quote:
Based on my experience, I think you are onto something with ripped files sounding better than discs played on a typical CD player.

I may have mentioned this somewhere else in the forum, but just in case - long story short, I was ripping my CD collection to FLAC, and decided to test them on a USB flash drive on my new Oppo Universal player, just to make sure I did them correctly (first time doing this). I popped the USB Flash Drive in and went into the kitchen to make some dinner...even in another room I could hear the difference; the sound was sharper (in a good way) and more accurate, and the music seemed to come down into the kitchen and say "hey, come listen". So I stopped making dinner and ran back into the liviingroom/theater/listening room and did an A/B and sure enough, the ripped files sounded better! It wasn't until a month or two later when Steve from Herbie's Audio Lab said "put your hand on the player when the CD's spinning". So I did, and the damn thing was practically hopping up and down with the rotation of the unbalanced CD! Some were better than others, but all of them at least sent a tremor through the player! That physical vibration is sure to cause electronic jitter as the player tries to piece all that music back together. With the ripped files, most of that has been sorted out and verified during the ripping process, and the DAC can put it's horsepower to playback rather than piecing together the music through the jitter.

Quote:
Did nothing for me. Didn't sound better than the PWT/PWD Mk II, and I just don't like the process.

From everything I'm reading about that Paul writes, it doesn't even seem a fair comparison. He knows all about what I've written above, and had dealt with it in that PWT PWD setup. I really think it's the ideal setup, assuming it can do all the same DAC work my Oppo does with the Bridge installed that is.

« Last Edit: 12/13/13 at 14:26:50 by Lonely Raven »  
WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #392 - 12/13/13 at 14:12:04

JD, the ERRs are just special. I've finally fallen under the spell of the HR-1s and have learned how to get them to be most ERR-like, and they're an even more "jack of all trades" implement for musical playback, but for some material, the ERR just can't be beaten (and for video material as well). I can only imagine how the new ERR sound!

Glad my description seemed on the mark. The HR-1s share the trademarks of the ERRs but I've never yet made them quite disappear into a sonic landscape the way the ERRs do. Very close, and I may have something room related (in two rooms) or system related holding that back from happening. And with the sound they get, close IS a cigar. I'm very happy.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #393 - 12/13/13 at 15:52:37

LR/Lon…I think the overall message is…do what works for you.    

LR…You said it better than me.  I think taking certain things out of the equation during playback (e.g. possibility for errors while reading a spinning disc) are strong reasons to believe that a computer can be an excellent source.  

I think I have a sense for Lon’s comments on process (re: computer audio).  There are a lot of variables to consider and seemingly benign things like the graphic interface, or the programs used to import, organize and search music all impact how you interact with the source.  If any part of the process starts to feel like work, it will likely make the entire experience less fun and may ultimately get in the way of just enjoying the music.  

Placing a disc into the PW Transport and hitting play is about as simple as it gets and I think there is beauty in the simplicity of the process.  There is nothing that gets in the way of the music.  

That said, I am working on a computer source.  My current process of downloading and burning .wav files to disc feels like work and is an extra step I want to avoid.  I don’t plan on ripping my entire CD collection, but would like to use the computer as a source for any files I download.        

Sounds like you are having fun getting your digital playback system up and running, and that’s a good thing.  Keep us updated on what is working and what the pinch points may be.  

It won’t be too long before we are discussing how the ZMA sounds on each of our systems.  I am really looking forward to that.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #394 - 12/13/13 at 17:07:28

Lon has a lifetime worth of media, so I can totally see how he wouldn't want to rip it to digital...it would be a lifetime of ripping and archiving...and it would be like a part time job. I only have like 1000 CDs or so (I used to have over 3000 but many were lost or stolen - crappy room mates) and even just those 1000 CDs took me two months of ripping a dozen every week night and dozens on the weekend.

That said, now that Oppo just released a "Media Control" software for Android devices, I'm able to control my Universal player with my phone or tablet, including browsing the network to reach a NAS, computer, or my portable hard drive (that is now my music base) directly connected - I'm pretty  much in heaven right now.

Last night I put sound absorbers in front of all my equipment (blocking all the lights and fans and whatever) and tried out this new Media Control software, it was absolutely fantastic! Any song that I could think of that is in my collection was easily dialed up during the last 10 seconds of whatever song was playing, and I seamlessly jumped from song to song, album to album, personal collection to downloaded collection. *This* is what I was envisioning for digital music playback - it brought me closer to that "nothing but the controller, chair, and dark room" that I've been wanting for a long time now.

I'm even more eager for the ZMA now (if that's even possible)!

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #395 - 12/13/13 at 18:02:27

Wow, we have such different ideas of heaven! Smiley I hate phones and I love the total inconvenience of searching for what I want to hear among my shelves.

Glad you got to your heaven though!

Both you and Dave are right. I just don't have fun with computer audio, it seems like work to me and the results have not been worth it. And I have so much meida to make digital that it's overwhelming to even think of starting.

If I needed music on the go, if I wanted the convenience, and a handful of other reasons, sure, it would be worth it. But it just doesn't appeal to me or fill any needs.

I have great players (I'm in awe of my Denon SACD player, and the PS Audio Duo is amazing) and I love my Torii (bonded with it, don't need a ZMA) and I'm SET.

« Last Edit: 12/13/13 at 18:08:58 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #396 - 12/13/13 at 19:22:29

Yeah, making it work doesn't make it fun at all. And I don't have that ritual that you LP Record guys go through (I do appreciate rituals, my coffee making is somewhere between Tai Chi, Meditation, and Chemistry). The portable thing means nothing to me (currently) - I hate listening in my car (which needs a new and expensive exhaust anyways), and I only listen to audio books on the road.

Ultimately I hope to have a setup that I presume is something like Mark's Listening Cave - my little Audio Temple - cut out all distractions and go for that "out of body experience" as Steve would call it.

I really do enjoy these online discussions with you, Lon; it helps keep me grounded, and I enjoy seeing things from your point of view.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #397 - 12/13/13 at 20:04:42

I enjoy the discussions too.

I had my own listening and video world just the way i like it for about five years . . . and I had the money to evolve it into a Torii-HR-1 system which is the cat's meow. . . and then once again I had to sacrifice what I want and maybe need for some other persons, this time my parents, and I'm back in a less than ideal room and with less than ideal time to listen and view. . . .

But what I like about it is that I appreciate the hours I do get to spend with the system more. And also that the hours I have at my disposal are now weekday afternoon hours and there are no neighbors home and I get to explore my great collection of guitars and basses with far less limiting self-consciousness to plague me and that has really helped. I sure have the blues, and I have been able to expunge them a bit by playing them. My latest guitars and basses and amp have been of the coolest quality and just inspiring. So that is a new factor that is uplifting (though most of the experience back here in Ohio has been rather depressing and being away from my gal and my friends. . . really hard).

What's constant is the appreciation of the great quality and nature of the system, a large part of which Decware is responsible for. That's what we all have in common here, which makes this a great hang!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #398 - 12/14/13 at 14:52:57

I was hoping to see the first Zen Mystery Amp had shipped yesterday. Looks like lots of parts pulled on different things (probably a little burst to get ahead before the holidays) but none shipping yet.

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on your own ZMA, Stone!

Brianne is looking forward to me getting mine, so I'd finally shut up about it! LOL Little does she know....

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #399 - 12/14/13 at 15:29:32

It's been my observation that Decware ships out on TUESDAYs. And only on Tuesdays. I could be wrong, but that seems the case this last year.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #400 - 12/14/13 at 15:32:43

Ahh, good call, I never noticed that since I've not had anything shipped to me in 15+ years. LOL

Well, hopefully Stone's ZMA goes out on Tuesday then. With luck, mine will be ready soon as well and I can pop on down to pick it up.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #401 - 12/14/13 at 15:42:54

Well, best of luck. If I remember correctly, there was quite a bit of time between "Parts pulled" and "Shipped" on my last few builds. Just saying. I still think. . . January. Hope I"m wrong.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #402 - 12/14/13 at 16:20:15

I think you're right Lon. Parts pulled, then testing...it will be January. As much as I want it now... .

This is one of Steve's new baby's (as he has mentioned). I want him to be meticulous before he puts it the Pelican Case to ship. He will be.

The timing will be perfect because I have 5 weeks and counting on my KS3035 Speaker Cable/outstanding & musical and with my Anthony Gallo 3.1's, that are just outstanding (very well burned in too)... . Then, comes the burn in of the ZMA....in the chain.  I love the journey....and the wonderful Music.   -S

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #403 - 12/14/13 at 16:43:14

I must add: I am sitting here on this snowy/beautiful morning with a cup of coffee in hand, listening to my Gallo's with my SE84CS...(at 68 - 72 DB SPL)....longing for the ZMA........but I can wait.

Right now, I am a very proud Father. My son called me from Houston last night, where he was visiting Rice University.  He had just received word from Stanford University....he was accepted! I will not make mention of it again. But, I am so proud of him and he worked so hard to achieve this goal.  I look forward to getting him settled in Palo Alto next August....for his pursuit of happiness and being part of solutions. -S

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #404 - 12/14/13 at 16:56:25

Congrats Stone. Oddly enough I was thinking of Rice as my wife and I passed it every day when we were in Houston month after month for her treatment. A good school. Stanford is great too. You are rightfully proud.

And with your truly seasoned Zen amp you can comfortably wait for the ZMA.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 74
Send Topic Print