Send Topic Print
The MYSTERY AMP ! (Read 169797 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: The MYSTERY AMP !
Reply #360 - 12/07/13 at 15:38:04

What if Steve could find a 3-4 point switch that didn't degrade the sound appreciably, and simply had a CSP3+ with 3-4 inputs based off that switch?

I don't know if the layout of the CSP3 would allow that, but if he can do two with a quality two way switch, why not 4 with an equal quality "audiophile" switch.

Would that sound like what you guys needed? Or am I missing something?

Maybe if we all whisper to the audio gods they'll whisper it into his ear late one night.   Grin

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #361 - 12/07/13 at 15:44:13

A quick Google search, and this was the first thing that came up.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/switch_audibility_e.html

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #362 - 12/08/13 at 17:48:55

"So the gist of it is, the amp is good to go as it is, just get it and enjoy it. And that's what I'm going to do..."  ...you said.

I agree LR.  I will get KT120's too...which is a gamble, because I could end up just preferring the KT66's. However, the curiosity of using them will win out. At first though, ...I'll only use the Tube compliment Steve sends.  

I do look forward to the Manual coming to the Web Page too.   -S

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
stellablues
Verified Member

Reply #363 - 12/10/13 at 01:54:27

Steve, Can you comment on the overall benefit of the XLR input on the mystery amp apart from the obvious extra input, and reduced chance for hum? What voltage will it support?

Are there additional sonic benefits based on your design or your listening sessions? trying to determine if its worth the 600. I need additional input and have XLR on my dac so its tempting.

Thanks, Aaron

« Last Edit: 12/10/13 at 01:55:14 by stellablues »  
  IP Logged
Archie
Verified Member

Reply #364 - 12/11/13 at 00:37:14

Regarding the XLR inputs, Steve told me that they do not result in a second set of inputs on the ZMA.  It's still XLR or RCA even if you have both on the amp.  He recommended that I stick with just the RCAs.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #365 - 12/11/13 at 02:42:12

I remember Steve said something about the XLR simply "adding more parts to the path" and recommended I stick with the RCA inputs as well.

stellablues
Verified Member

Reply #366 - 12/11/13 at 05:47:58

Thanks for the feedback.

Looking at the Mystery page its a bit vague. one statement says "You may optionally have your amplifier configured with an additional pair of fully transformer balanced XLR inputs from within the shopping cart."

and another has a reference to the mono II which themselves have dual input RCA and XLR.

If you look at the mystery photos you can clearly see both RCA and XLR inputs but i don't see a switch to select the input.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #367 - 12/11/13 at 16:42:20

stellablues,

The shopping cart also lists the 600 upgrade option as "Single-Ended RCA inputs & Balanced XLR $600"

« Last Edit: 12/11/13 at 16:42:54 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-6, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Archie
Verified Member

Reply #368 - 12/11/13 at 16:47:22

This is from Steve's email to me:  

"The amplifier is only capable of one pair of inputs used at a time.  When we put XLR inputs on it, the RCA are still active but can not be used at the same time as the XLR or even have cables hooked up to it."

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #369 - 12/11/13 at 17:09:04

Thanks Archie. I get it now.

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-6, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #370 - 12/11/13 at 18:58:03

XLR for long IC runs only.
RCA Coax for .5 meter to 2 meters.
If XLR was better for my KS1030 IC RCA....it would be XLR.

Steve, stated in this thread and/or on the Web Page for the Amp you can use only one input at a time.

LR, Sweet....I only see Chris W./T IV ....ahead of our parts being pulled!
SWEET!    

(Hearin' those Anthony Gallo Acoustics 3.1's tonight(!)...with cash in hand.   0 degree's with a wind chill of 22 below zero tonight....yeah, I love Winter = NOT).

Enjoying.....the Stone of Tone  8-)

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #371 - 12/11/13 at 19:38:20

Yeah, I'm trying not to bounce in my seat at the thought of the ZMA's being started! While I hope Steve and crew have a great holiday, I hope they don't...I don't know, take the whole rest of the month off after this week. LOL

I'm still hoping on two weeks for my ZMA.

I'm really, really curious to hear what you think about those Gallo's. It looks like they've come up in price from $2999 to $3999. I'm honestly not sure my MG944 (with my 21" subwoofer) are going to get me where I want to be with that 3D holographic sound...I won't give up on them till I get the ZMA, and build my fleet of diffusers...but I'm keeping my eyes open for other options just in case.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #372 - 12/11/13 at 20:43:15

http://images.craigslist.org/00505_edDPjnKjdZd_600x450.jpg

Yeah, a couple weeks would be nice.... . I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer but, with bench testing....I figure mid-January?

Here is pic of my Listening tonight!    -S

PS-now, this gentlemen does not have my Acoustic Room Treatment (he has none/obviously), this room is to big, or my Front End, Cabling or a ZMA on the way! So, I will have to discern their sound the best I can.  I will let you know.

« Last Edit: 12/11/13 at 20:50:47 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #373 - 12/11/13 at 20:54:34

LOL, I was about to say that I find rooms without sound treatment appalling, but you beat me to it.

Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #374 - 12/12/13 at 03:40:48

Not surprising, Steve is consistent with his advice.  "RCA will sound better then XLR b/c of less parts in the signal path".  I was hesitant to add XLR based on his advice, but chose to for future flexibility.  I don't know where or what my audio room will look like in 5 years, nor do I know what my pre-amp situation will be.  Initial listening will be done via RCA.  I will provide my listening impressions once I have the amp broken in and look forward to reading what everyone else has to say.  The first batch of ZMAs is about to be built.  Cheers.      

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 74
Send Topic Print