Send Topic Print
The MYSTERY AMP ! (Read 141262 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Re: The MYSTERY AMP !
Reply #345 - 12/04/13 at 16:12:48

Very tempting gentlemen...very. However, I can only tolerate a pre with my he-man rig out in the Living room.

I do enjoy the luxury of adjustable voltage output from my preA Audio Alchemy DAC with Remote. No additional IC needed with stand alone pre etc... . But if you need multiple inputs-I get it.

It was not lost on me either that Steve used a DAC direct to Amp(s) at ZenFest. Albeit, hi-rez....but I also have the luxury of 18, 20, 22 & 24 bit dither out of my DTI-Pro to i2s...then to DAC.  Yeah, it fools you as if it is hi-rez!  Now, running Kimber Select 1030 IC with Kimber Select 3035 Speaker Cable in Listening Room (SE84CS) & Kimber Hero IC with Kimber Select 3033 Speaker Cable in Bedroom (SuperZen CKC) does not hurt either. Lower noise floor and musicality through the roof.

I digress, but I am so damn excited to get the MA next month....plus I am on budget to get my Acoustic Zen Adagio Speakers (Mar/2014)...very Tube friendly!
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/acousticzen/adagio.html
Chip ran them with 28 watt/ch Mesa Tigris. Plus, I know locally you can drive them with a CS & CKC.  I will drive them with the Mystery Amp of course (too).

Torii IV....on budget for (Aug/2014-order).   -S

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #346 - 12/04/13 at 16:54:16

Looks like the amp wait list has been cleaned up, and the first two ZMA are now on the first page. Made me grin.  :)

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #347 - 12/04/13 at 17:03:53

Vive la ZMA!

(I need to remember the "Z"...it is on the web page now Stone...get with it).  ::)

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #348 - 12/04/13 at 17:23:05

Embrace the Change!

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #349 - 12/04/13 at 17:33:02

Haaa!  ...that is funny!

I have now embraced....I do use "The Force" as well.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/mesa-tigris-integrated-amplifier-specificatio...

http://www.stereophile.com/tubepoweramps/901mesa/
I mentioned the Tigris in my post above. I wish I could find both of these AMPS on Audiogon...I would buy for comparison & FUN.
The Mesa Baron would be a boat load of fun...if it did not need a lot of work...I would have to pay to get done... .

« Last Edit: 12/04/13 at 17:35:03 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #350 - 12/04/13 at 17:43:54

LR, no bottle of ZMA for me. (heHe)

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2012/august/cooling-glove-research-082912.html

...I will get "The Glove".....I turn 50 in February....I still run 21 miles per week in the Winter & 35 per week in the summer. Music high & runner's high...can't be bought.    -S

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #351 - 12/04/13 at 19:16:11

I saw a video on that glove many years ago when they were developing it. Seems like an awesome idea, and so simple when you think about it.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #352 - 12/04/13 at 20:42:51

Yes, it has been around for a few years. The last couple of years you can get one for a grand. They say it really works. Recover that core Temp down and resume training.  I don't race anymore...so I don't need it (read: old). I would like to try it though.

I will live vicariously through my son, whom is waiting word back from Stanford for acceptance. However, he probably will go to Rice in Houston. He takes after his mother.....smart.   -S Cheesy

I live The Secret Life of Walter Mitty!

« Last Edit: 12/04/13 at 20:47:22 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Archie
Verified Member

Reply #353 - 12/05/13 at 17:32:54

I've been discussing the single input issue with Steve.  I have the ZMA and the ZP3 on order.  After noticing the single inputs on the ZMA I started to look for a switch box (ZSB).  However, I read one of Steve's papers on preamps (How To Select The Right Preamp) and realized that the ZP3 might not provide optimal input voltage to the amp.  Consequently, I started looking at the CSP3.  Steve has suggested that I will get better sound with the CSP3 over the ZSB offering control over the weight, dynamics and volume of the music.

Steve has not specifically said that the ZMA would be improved by the CSP3 but that is my impression.  Moreover, since my phono is my primary source, I want to make sure that I don't inadvertently handicap the sound by not optimising my phono input to the amp.

Bottom line for me is that I've added the CSP3 to my order!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #354 - 12/06/13 at 21:54:27

Well, after a lot of back & forth research....I have decided to get a pair of Steve's ERRx's. I will continue to use and love the Speakers I have been listening to...with my SE84CS & CKC (MA...will be a nice addition).
However, the radial design has always intrigued me...so it's happening.
-S

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #355 - 12/06/13 at 23:13:47

I just spoke with Steve about the volume pot - I was all set to upgrade mine to stepped - he said he prefers the infinitely variable. He said that most pots sound worse down low, but his amps are setup to use the volume higher up. So the sound difference between the two at listening levels could only really be heard if you dig into it. He prefers the infinite adjust ability since the sound difference is negligible.  

I also asked about KT120 and KT150 tubes, he said the KT120 is "warmer, and more romantic", but the KT150 is a no go.

So the gist of it is, the amp is good to go as it, just get it and enjoy it. And that's what I'm going to do.

beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #356 - 12/07/13 at 04:23:03

Quote:
LR said,
I just spoke with Steve about the volume pot - I was all set to upgrade mine to stepped - he said he prefers the infinitely variable. He said that most pots sound worse down low, but his amps are setup to use the volume higher up. So the sound difference between the two at listening levels could only really be heard if you dig into it. He prefers the infinite adjust ability since the sound difference is negligible.  

I also asked about KT120 and KT150 tubes, he said the KT120 is "warmer, and more romantic", but the KT150 is a no go.

So the gist of it is, the amp is good to go as it, just get it and enjoy it. And that's what I'm going to do.

Thanks for that ... I know a lot of people like the stepped, but I don't think I can agree with getting the volume "just perfect" without having an infinite knob ... It just seems that there will be times where one knotch is too low and one too high and that the benefits would be negligible overall.  Still those striving for that last 1-5% have their points too.

Did you by chance ask him about additional inputs and preamps?  I'm really interested to know why there is only one set of inputs rather than at least two.  I just need 2 for myself (really three would be optimum though).

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #357 - 12/07/13 at 04:43:45

I did not ask him about inputs and preamps since I'm (currently) fine the way it is, and I didn't know exactly what I should ask. In fact (thinking back to the pot), if I was really worried about that last 1%, I could probably have him bypass the vol pot all together since I'm using the variable volume on my Oppo. So my needs are a bit different than others.

I'm always curious to see what he says though if you ask.

beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #358 - 12/07/13 at 05:18:02

For myself, I have the following sources and I seriously doubt that I would ever need more unless a really new and powerful media came out.

1. Phono Stage
2. DAC (connected to my PC)
3. Universal Disc Player

Unless somebody has a reel to reel or tuner, I would not think that many others would need much more than 3-4 inputs max.  I have to agree with Lon in the aspect that I doubt Steve would make a preamp such as this - as it just doesn't seem like his type of product.  But wow, I think it's a huge hole in their lineup that leads customers to look elsewhere who aren't satisfied with the CSP3 limitations.

The way I see it, the CSP3 is too much of a middle of the road product to please most ~ it doesn't have the flexibility of a full blown preamp (with only 2 inputs) and he already has one of the best headphone amps out there with the Taboo.  Why not ditch the CSP3 altogether and get a freaking awesome Preamp which we all know he is capabe of doing!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #359 - 12/07/13 at 11:06:23

I think if you hear the CSP2+ or CSP3 you'd change your tune! It's likely to sound better than the full featured preamp Decware might make, which I think is why Decware doesn't make one currently. Amazing preamp for the price. Imo the answer is: buy more than one CSP3 if your Decware amp has two inputs. Or as many here seem to prefer the amps with no gain stage ahead of it, the switch box.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 74
Send Topic Print