Send Topic Print
The MYSTERY AMP ! (Read 179726 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: The MYSTERY AMP !
Reply #270 - 11/07/13 at 17:13:56

Just to clarify, I mean the OTL amp is one of a kind (one-off).

The OTL I really feel is a few levels above the Mystery amp, but the Mystery Amp has some of that musical *flow* that the OTL has (one of the things I don't have the vocabulary to describe yet), and is the closest sound I've heard to the OTL. But still, not up to that level.

Also, I didn't hear the OTL at the fest, I got to hear it at a one-on-one with Steve when I went to pick up my modded SE84-A and some speakers. But since Steve likes to play R&D with people; so when the OTL amp was on, he threw a barrage of low/medium and I think some High rez files at me that almost made my head explode with the confusing information my ears were picking up. Between the amazing abilities of the OTL, and the low rez files that to me make things sound *itchy*...well, I was mostly at a loss for words and maybe more than a little distressed. Meanwhile, Steve is grinning and watching my body language = R&D.

On the Notes for my Mystery Amp order, I put in there not to ship it, that I'll swing by and pick it up - part of this is to save me the nearly $100 shippping (I work 20 minutes from Steve two days a week so I'm out there anyways) - but part of this is because I would like to ask...nay, plead with him to let me have some time putting the Mystery Amp up against the OTL, but this time with me at the helm. I have some R&D/Learning of my own to do, and I think peeking into the abyss that is the OTL amp might help me wrap my head around some things...and also give me a "sonic reference" to carry around with me for a while the same way I've carried the sound of the Zen amp in Steve's original listening room around with me since '98.

Sorry, I'm rambling again...good coffee and fond memories of audio-euphoria get me thinking out-loud.   Roll Eyes  

« Last Edit: 11/07/13 at 17:15:05 by Lonely Raven »  
WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #271 - 11/07/13 at 19:39:34

yep... Steve told me the OTL was a one-of-a-kind experiment and would be too difficult and expensive to mass produce.
I've only heard a few OTL's in my life, but every one of them had "the magic" like no other - but you really gotta have the right speaker for an OTL.
Knowing that Steve is not likely to "settle" with the thought that he got devine sound from the OTL, but cost prohibitive to build.. I'm guessing we will see him pursue this further in the future to a point where it can be feasible for the masses.  I suppose you could always try to buy his prototype.. but I doubt he'd sell.

late Sat. night at the fest when only zygi and I were left... I did some serious listening amongst the amps... to my ears the Torii IV and MA sounded more alike than my Torii III(which I had with me) than the Torii III and IV do.  I actually preferred the MA's sonic personality over the mono's also - surprisingly or not.  And I was not the only person at the fest to express that opine either...
Not being one to be "on point"... after the initial dust settles around the MA and the build process and circuitry likely goes thru some refinement as production ramps up... I will give one a go.  As I've expressed many times... to my ears, all the Decware amps are good - just different.  I find the MA to paint the soundstage differently than my Torii III and to be slightly more clinical sounding(in a good way)... enough different to be desirable though possibly.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #272 - 11/07/13 at 20:44:27

Eric, I discerned you were close to Decware with your past posts. Yes, well aware the OTL is a one-off. It was discussed in this thread I believe.

I had to cancel Decfest this year. I could have had 10% off too. However, Steve's Amps are worth every penny. I did have the privilege of being there in 2005 and 2008. DeVon told me in 08', I can come down anytime. Of course, I would call and arrange to do that. I might call and look for a clear weather week after the new year....and do just that.

Peace Gents....listening to some Pop Jazz right now....Instrumentals>Forever, For Always, For Luther.   -S

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #273 - 11/07/13 at 20:45:00

Yeah, the MA is one case where I'm willing to be first. And if Steve comes up with some tweaks or ideas to improve the MA, I'm only 20 minutes away, two days a week.    ;)

Besides, I'm badly in need of an upgrade from my Zen amp. Listening to the MK IV and MA made that abundantly clear. There are days where the Zen just absolutely floors me with what that little 2 watts can do...and there are days where I feel like the little guy just doesn't have the steam to handle very busy material (which keeps me from listening to heavy metal and classical on it regularly)

As was pointed out at the 'fest, I practically time traveled through the Decware lineup; going from being one of the first 100 Zen amps to the Mystery Amp!  ;D And oddly enough, when I bought the Zen amp and was waiting for it...I kept reminding Steve my birthday was in November, and it would be awesome if I had the amp for my birthday. LOL

Is it done yet?  ;D

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #274 - 11/07/13 at 20:47:20

Stone, if you plan on being down there on a Monday or Tuesday, drop me a PM and we can meet up! Hell, I'd even make a special trip down there to hang out if it's a weekend!

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #275 - 11/07/13 at 20:57:21

Heck yeah LR. I will let you know for sure.

I have heard OTL....with Atma sphere Amps....at Audio Perfection here in Mpls/St. Paul area. Magnepan, Bel Canto, Atma sphere, Audio Research....Wadia was close across the boarder.....are all here in my metro area. However, I bet Steve's one-off OTL shines a little brighter.... .  

I hear you, about needing the MA. The SE84CS & CKC can only do so much. .....that so much at appropriate volume and how I run them, is incredible though.

I to don't mind being 1st in line with you for the MA. I would have shipping involved....unless I arranged and came down with it....to have uprgrade(s) done...without hesitation...if it unfolds/Steve found reason to do so.    -S

« Last Edit: 11/07/13 at 21:10:04 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #276 - 11/11/13 at 17:24:26

Decided against the Adagio Speakers (for now=reply #269).

However, I did buy a pair of Kimber Select 3035 (finally) to go with my 1030 Interconnect. I will move the 3033 Speaker Cable to the bedroom System. (...with Decware Amps & 86 to 92db Speakers...I have found nothing that is more musical).

Tube Depot/Memphis, is having a 10% off on everything Veteran's Day Sale right now (I'm sure a lot of you get their emails like I). However, I would compare to BOI AudioWorks....they have great regular prices on KT66's etc... .  -S

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #277 - 11/12/13 at 13:36:02

It's my Birthday!

Is it done yet?

Today would be a *great* day to start it!   Wink

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #278 - 11/12/13 at 14:08:54

Chill Nikola T. .....chill. It is coming!    

Happy Birthday!

I want my MA too.  -S

« Last Edit: 11/12/13 at 14:11:28 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #279 - 11/12/13 at 17:14:55

I don't know if this is another thing that I missed, or it just hasn't been mentioned yet...

Does the Mystery Amp come with the Pelican Shipping case, or is that an option?

maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #280 - 11/12/13 at 22:20:10

it's an option for the other decware amps to my knowledge... since the MA is not on the website, you can't see if its listed as an option or not like it is on the Torii cart.  Pelican cases don't show up on the Mono's cart page either, but for $11k large, perhaps you get the Pelicans std. w/mono's.

a call to Decware in order to settle this one I reckon.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #281 - 11/13/13 at 04:41:28

If it is available as an option, I'd advise to go for it.

The Pelican case for my Torii MK4 came free with my order but it is worth the extra US$299 option if need be.

It is built like a tank, has roller wheels and comes with a retractable handle.
This is not mentioned on the website (I think) but there are two open steel latches which allow you to apply 2 TSA locks if need be.
The internal shock absorber lining can be removed so this can double up as a Samsonite - like suitcase for travel.
IMHO, even an uber expensive  Samsonite suitcase is not as sturdy as the Pelican case.

« Last Edit: 11/13/13 at 04:43:28 by Lord Soth »  
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #282 - 11/13/13 at 18:30:44

International Orders are a must for this Case.

Using for a carry on luggage piece has its appeal.

If Steve offers it/domestic....I might get it.   -S

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #283 - 11/13/13 at 18:36:41

Yeah, I'm quite familiar with the Pelican Cases. We use them to safely transport/ship rifles and guitars across the country. Even though I'm going to drive down and pick up my Mystery Amp, I'm hoping it comes with the case for travel/transport as it's intended. Great friggen cases!

I just hoped at this price point, it was standard.

Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #284 - 11/13/13 at 22:37:29

The Pelican Case is included in the price of the MA and the TORII MONO's.  Particularly with the MA, the amp is just too heavy to be safely transported any other way.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 74
Send Topic Print