Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 74
Send Topic Print
The MYSTERY AMP ! (Read 138560 times)
will
Seasoned Member

Re: The MYSTERY AMP !
Reply #210 - 10/24/13 at 00:58:08

Lon,

Sorry, I misinterpreted "the new one" as the MkIV. Whoops...

Smiley

« Last Edit: 10/24/13 at 00:59:02 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #211 - 10/24/13 at 01:36:09

Thought that was the case. No, I'm not tempted by the IV. I think my original III has the right balance of tone and the right features for me. The new III has a bit of a cleaner, clearer sound, and I sense Steve keeps moving in this direction sound wise, and it moves away from what works best for me. I'm so happy with my original III with the beeswax caps, it has a great balance of detail and swing and depth, it's really saddening to me that bass controls can't be added and I bought the new one and yet still feel so loyal to the original one! In time the new one may ensnare me, want to get more hours on it before I try.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #212 - 10/28/13 at 15:48:18

Well, it looks like it's time to say goodbye to an old friend. '74 Porsche 914 - the 3rd "budget" Porsche I've owned. I put her up for sale on Saturday, and had 3 serious offers by Sunday afternoon. I just need to fix a title issue when the DMV is open (and I'm back in town), and I'll have the last bit of mulah I need for my Mystery amp!

Honestly, it's probably for the better...I just don't have the skill to fix her up and get her back on the road myself, and I don't have the funds to pay someone else to do it. It's been sitting in storage at a friends for many, many years. It's best she help fun my audio project, and open up the space at my friends house...so the Mystery amp has been good motivation to move stuff of some value I've been sitting on way too long...

Now the long wait for my amp to be built...

Is it done yet?

« Last Edit: 10/28/13 at 15:48:40 by Lonely Raven »  
WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #213 - 10/28/13 at 16:09:39

LR.. I suffer from the same disease - one or two too many hobbies/interest - that take more time & money than I have to spread around.  However, I, like you have found that this "condition" forces me to clean house and balance out things from time-to-time.  And that can only be a good thing!  If I had more time and more $$ than I do now, I would probably be up to my eye balls in unfinished "projects" and our house and property would look like "Sanford & Son's" place!... LOL

Smiley

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #214 - 10/28/13 at 16:16:09

Brianne already complains to her parents that I collect/hoard too many projects for my hobbies. Between the guitars and amps, guns and reloading, archery, home theater, computers and networking, two-channel audio, camping/hiking, motorcycling, woodworking, photogrpahy...I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting...yeah, she rolls her eyes and complains when I bring home a new project. LOL

So yeah, moving some stuff out is a good thing. I have piles of computers I need to get out, and I need to get the garage woodworking shop back in order so I can actually focus on house projects. I have a feeling the Mystery amp might derail me from getting anything done late at night though.   Grin

« Last Edit: 10/28/13 at 16:16:33 by Lonely Raven »  
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #215 - 10/28/13 at 17:03:41

Nice! It has two too many wheels though so I can see why you're selling it.

Hope the wait isn't too unbearable!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #216 - 10/29/13 at 17:18:34

I purchased two pair of OA3's.

It is nice to hold/see the old boxes with RADIOTRON, RCA Logo's, RADIO CORPORATION of AMERICA, Harrison, N.J. ...Made in U.S.A.
ELECTRON TUBE   -S

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
mkoepsel
Verified Member

Reply #217 - 10/29/13 at 18:03:04

Nice 914 your selling. Wish I had it. I've had over 100 auto projects. Mostly chevy with some mopar and vw's thrown in.

Selling off from one hobby to support another. I can understand.

Mark

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #218 - 10/29/13 at 18:45:59

Quote:
I purchased two pair of OA3's.

It is nice to hold/see the old boxes with RADIOTRON, RCA Logo's, RADIO CORPORATION of AMERICA, Harrison, N.J. ...Made in U.S.A.
ELECTRON TUBE   -S

Yeah, I'm holding off on any tube purchases for the Mystery amp till I talk to Steve more. He and I seem to like/hear the same thing, so I'll see what he says would be premium tubes to track down.

Quote:
Nice 914 your selling. Wish I had it. I've had over 100 auto projects. Mostly chevy with some mopar and vw's thrown in.

Selling off from one hobby to support another. I can understand.

I really wish I knew more about auto mechanics. I'm mechanically inclined, just never had the opportunity to really work on cars, or someone to teach me how unfortunately.

Brianne (my fiance) keeps giving me grief about not having an emergency fund...I tell her I sorta do...except I can play with my emergency fund(s) until I need to liquidate them for something else.   Grin

maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #219 - 10/29/13 at 23:52:26

where are u guys gettin' these NOS, made in the US of A , RCA 0A3's and 0C2's?

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #220 - 10/30/13 at 00:32:25

For my Torii MK4, I got such NOS RCA tubes from Vacuumtubes.net

Their tubes are really NOS and tested.

IP Logged
Jason

Reply #221 - 10/30/13 at 01:50:49

I found cheap NOS OA3 and OC2 show up on flea bay quite often, sometimes in big lots too.  Keep looking, there are a few deals on there still.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #222 - 10/31/13 at 05:25:45

maddog, I got these RCA OA3 from Tube Depot/Memphis. Actually, I was not expecting them. They list what they have as "assorted lot". So, I was pleasantly surprised to get these. I am a good customer of 12 years with them.  I like them even more now and have always had great service and great Tubes from Tube Depot.  

I will purchase my backup Quad of Tong Sol KT66 & Quad of 6N1P's from Tube Depot, when my Mystery Amp Ships (so if any failure occurs with the Tubes shipped...I have backup). I will also order a Quad of Tong Sol KT120's too. After a week of burn in on the Tubes shipped & the MAmp.....I will Tube Test these KT66's, KT120's, 6N1P's & RCA OA3's in the MAmp....then shelve them. Unless the KT120's talk to me and say: "keep me in".   Cool   -S

« Last Edit: 10/31/13 at 05:32:31 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #223 - 10/31/13 at 12:47:24

That sounds like a good plan. I'm holding off on extra tubes and tube rolling for a bit, till I see what Steve says about the Mystery amp.

Well, I have two more guys looking at the old Porsche, so I might have my Mystery Amp funding by the weekend!

Is it done yet?  ;D

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #224 - 10/31/13 at 15:07:21

Genelex for KT66 are on the docket too. Let us know Steve's Input.

Good news, hope you sell it this weekend. I should sell my Truck...but I would miss it! Especially, 4 wheel drive hi on the fly for the Winter Months. 2006 mint Ford F150 White/Crew Cab V8 Triton, PVD all weather American Racing Rims, Fiberglass Lid, Chrome in between door windows, Chrome Step ups......Grill change. 14.2 miles around town...but damn do I look good doing it!  Plus, who is going to pull the Dodge & Chevy's out of the ditch...or off the beach when they get stuck pulling their Boat Docks in? Yeah, you got it...me.

I digress. Anyway, I have had quite a few things in the last 24 months...and returned.  ...this has fortified the credit on CCard to get the Mystery Amp and another pair of Speakers.

Demoed rigorously in the last 24 months/Returned:

Torii MkIII (I should have kept...I would already have it back with the IV upgrade done!....I sold it after 4.5 months)

PrimaLuna Dialogue Five (can't compete with Decware on ANY Level-good luck with that Kevin Deal)

PWT/PWDII PS Audio (overrated-you don't need to kill a Fly with a Sledge Hammer)

Zu Audio Unions (came to me with 500 hrs on them....very shouty and not refined with tone/timbre. Just a garage rock speaker to me).

Klipsch RF something (returned...but I kept the 2nd pair I had in, of RF 7 II's for my Garage Rock System).

NAD M51 DAC (after many hours...was not tactile or musical....always had a veil....the Anedio D2 destroyed it...as it did the PWT/PWDII=more expensive does not mean better....those that Build a Sledge hammer to kill the FLY are exposed).

Sim Audio MOON W5.3 SE Amplifier w/PS Audio AC-10 (good solid Amplifier...but I can't sit and actively Listen to 2 channel Music through Solid State anymore.....Decware has ruined me)!  -S

« Last Edit: 10/31/13 at 21:15:34 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats