Send Topic Print
The MYSTERY AMP ! (Read 129975 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Re: The MYSTERY AMP !
Reply #165 - 10/11/13 at 15:02:44

I am just messin' with you Beowulf. Your Taboo is everything the bigger Amp is. I just want more power. However, a single output tube per channel via your Taboo or my CS or CKC...will always have a level of fidelity....that quite frankly, does beat push pull.

....if you want more power though....and because I had a Torii III for 4 months...the tinnie weeny weeny bit you give up IMHO....is worth it....to get the POWER (Steve's gifted IMHO).

I need to get into hi-rez too....which you are already enjoying. Thanks for the offer on the other thread to send me some hi-rez. I will get there.

Let me also tell you....I had some good fortune in selling some things...so I could come up with the sheckles to swing the purchase of the Mystery Amp....I don't take it for granted.    

Cheers, Stone of Tone

« Last Edit: 10/11/13 at 21:52:13 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #166 - 10/14/13 at 23:03:36

I didn't want to pester Steve with a call or a knock on the door saying "is it done yet", so I sent an E-mail asking if he could chime in here in the forums about the Red Mallory Caps on the Mystery amp, and why it's a $500 upgrade.

Hopefully we hear from him soon...because, you know, I've probably got another 10 weeks to decide if I want them or not. LOL

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #167 - 10/15/13 at 04:54:23

Yes, ....and I have another 9 weeks & 6 days to decide if I want them (when they pull the parts).  LOL

Nice LR, hopefully Steve will chime in about them (RED Mallory Caps NOS). The Red looks cool too. The stealthy black Caps as well.

Being NOS and he has a couple MA's burning in with each set of Caps(?) Unless for the Fest he switched out the Mallory's we saw and burned in the black Kemets...with one MA up and running/broke in.

I picked the Walnut Base with Walnut knobs. I had a Torii MkIII and liked it with that base.
I also chose the Stepped Attenuator, 4-8ohm, RCA Inputs and the black caps.  -S

« Last Edit: 10/15/13 at 05:01:11 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #168 - 10/15/13 at 05:07:54

Ditto -

Walnut, Walnut, RCA,4-8 Ohm, Black Caps. I didn't go with the stepped. Unless there is a good reason for it that I'm not aware of?

I wouldn't mind a figured cherry base - but I didn't feel like it was worth $100 upcharge for plane cherry. I could make my own base pretty easily. In fact, I have a decent stash of various woods in good thicknesses. Once I know the base dimensions I might churn out something in a nice exotic figured hardwood.

« Last Edit: 10/15/13 at 05:08:32 by Lonely Raven »  
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #169 - 10/15/13 at 05:17:44

The stepped attenuator is really not necessary....I just like the action of them.

Nice, you have the talent for woodwork DIY.

I ordered/have an Oak Base for my SE84CS a few years after I had it and now want one for my CKC.

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #170 - 10/15/13 at 06:16:26

I might end up prefering the Tung-Sol KT66. However, Steve has the topology set up to handle the KT120.  So, I have to do it with four 6N1P's for pre. I also have a nice stock of NOS Sovtek 6922's.    -S

Tung-Sol KT120 Power Vacuum Tube

This is the most powerful audio power tube in production today. With a plate dissipation rating of 60W (compare that with the 35W of the 6550, the 42W of the KT88, and the 50W of the KT90), a pair of these KT120 tubes in push-pull configuration can deliver 150 watts or more of audio power. And when used in a vintage circuit designed for 6550 or KT88, the KT120 will deliver unbelievable amounts of clean headroom, low end rumble and dynamic punch all without overloading. The glass of this tube is a full 1/2" taller with the internal plate structure 3/8" longer than its nearest KT88 cousin. The internal control grid cooling fins are twice as large as the KT88 adding to the amazing performance of this tube. This particular tube draws between 100mA (.1A) and 300mA (.3A) more filament current than a standard KT88, so check with your amp manufacturer to insure you have the additional filament headroom to power these tubes. This new KT120 is the steamroller of audio tubes, prepare to be flattened.

« Last Edit: 10/15/13 at 06:20:41 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #171 - 10/15/13 at 13:02:34

I don't think I'm going to be able to afford any tube rolling on these. A quad of NOS KT66 is like $900. KT120 sound neat, but I didn't feel the Mystery was lacking in power with the Decware speakers since I kept turning it down during our demos. Unless the KT120 have some harmonic or textural difference that's really interesting, I probably don't need them.  

I'll probably just get some of those Herbie's Tube Dampers for all the tubes and call it a day.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #172 - 10/15/13 at 14:52:19

I do not do ridiculous NOS... .

Steve voiced the Amp to be great as you have heard with Tong-Sol KT 66's that can be had for $140. a quad & Tong-Sol KT120's at $190. per quad.  The 6N1P's for 10 bucks each and the OA3 lasts for just about forever.  End of BS NOS for me.  ::)   -S

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #173 - 10/15/13 at 15:32:18

Some OA3 and 6N1P rolling could be done relatively inexpensively. River Ranch mentioned an inexpensive alternative to the 6N1P in the Super Zen thread. I saw sleeves of 5 (forgot the tube model) for $40. I saw 60's vintage OA3 for $40.

I've played with the Tung-Sol KT-66 in guitar amps and I know they are good. I probably won't look further there, unless some NOS something falls into my lap. None of my guitar amps use KT-66, so it's not one I happen to have handy like KT-77 or EL34.

I spoke with Steve during Decfest about building a cherry base for my "vintage" Zen Amp - it runs really, really hot as it is...so I'm concerned about adding a heavy wood insulator to the metal casing. He said it shouldn't matter...but I noticed running tubes other than 6N1P, it runs noticeably cooler. It's still on my winter To-Do woodworking projects.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #174 - 10/15/13 at 15:35:25

I have a C amp with a beautiful beautiful maple stand. The amp runs hotter than anything else I've ever known (it's modded by Eddie Vaughn if that makes a difference) and I thought I'd see how it did without the case.

To be honest, it sounds about 10 percent better without the case. And it should be ventilating better.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #175 - 10/15/13 at 15:36:33

Yes LR! Herbie's Halo's are excellent.

I use a pair of Herbie's on my coveted Svetlana SV83 Tubes on my SE84CS.
I also, have a 5 pound brass weight on the Transformer. System is configured on floor (finished basement) as is my Pro-ject Debut Carbon Turntable out in the Living Room He-Man rig (slightly elevated on top of two old Denon CD Changers).
...Back to the Listening Room, my Digital resides on Townsend Seismic Sink Pneumatic. Isolation is Key.    -S

« Last Edit: 10/15/13 at 15:41:09 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #176 - 10/15/13 at 15:42:33

I love the case my SE84CS is in...with a character knot from Zigy right in the front.....I can't take it out of it.  

The 6N1P does run hotter....I have it in my CKC...so no case on that Amp...for the better.  I sometimes run a 6N1P, EL84 with GZ34 Rectifier...you want to talk about hot in my SE84CS!

« Last Edit: 10/15/13 at 15:44:41 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #177 - 10/15/13 at 15:49:20

I'd be curious if you thought the amp sounds better without the case. My case is beautiful too, really, but It's very clear differnce to me, the sound is more open and dynamic and even my Mom noticed it. "What did you do?" she said shortly after I removed it.

« Last Edit: 10/15/13 at 15:55:17 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #178 - 10/15/13 at 16:00:20

I will try it Lon and hear what happens.

Oh, I should add, because I have over 900 CD's...I take their playback seriously.  
Vinyl?........I love it....but I can enjoy my old records (approx 400 and counting) out in the Living Room Rig.....via my Polk SDA SRS 1.2 Speakers.....= a lot of fun.

Real Jazz & Contemporary Jazz in the Listening Room & Classic Rock in the Living Room on Vinyl. Of course I use an affordable Record Washer/Spin Clean MKII - Deluxe.

« Last Edit: 10/15/13 at 16:02:51 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #179 - 10/15/13 at 16:03:41

I've about 20 times that many cds, and take its playback very seriously as well! I'm so very happy with my PS Audio Duo (s) -- they do Redbook better than anything I've heard and no need for me to try something else.

I can enjoy vinyl in both of my systems, but the ZP3 in the main system makes me want to listen to it more there. At times the vinyl playback exceeds the digital, man there's just something about records.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 74
Send Topic Print