10/23/14 at 05:56:04

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 
Send Topic Print
The MYSTERY AMP ! (Read 154531 times)
will
Seasoned Member

Re: The MYSTERY AMP !
Reply #1095 - 05/09/14 at 05:07:28

In terms of coupling or de-coupling, I think variables make it pretty complex, each foot material, design, and size acting and sounding different. And finally it is the sound that wins. I agree though that decoupling, in my case, with Herbie's isocups, can be quite good for gear, especially with some balls of different materials to fine-tune tone with. But I have used hardwood cones under my DAC for a long time, almost always preferring this DAC sound over any other feet I have. And I tend prefer the sound of Synergistic Research MIGs (small metal bowls) under my Oppo. I also like weight on top of components, solidifying the sound further.

In the case of metal speaker spikes, though it is not decoupled, it is considerably less connected to the floor than with the plinth right on the floor. So the plinth is freed up for the most part, apparently a part of the sound of a speaker beyond deflecting passive bass outward. And the speaker can drain vibration to the point of the spike and floor, while floor vibration effects on the speaker seem minimized by the spike point being the connector. This is how it appears to me anyway, and I think the sound reflects this minimal coupling.

Herbie's gliders do decouple the speaker though, and it is a better sound to me, in this room, and with this floor. They have done considerable work on materials and design trying to get a neutral sound though.

I find feet fascinating. I think I use six different kinds in my system at this point, all having different characteristics vibration-wise and sound-wise.....nicely useful for a given component or speaker. But I really enjoy experimenting.

« Last Edit: 05/09/14 at 05:28:57 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #1096 - 05/09/14 at 11:45:42

Yes, I've been using three different types of footers in my system, and I just changed one of the three. It's fun to experiment. I agree about decoupling speakers, in my instance it has bben the key. I'm using Ingress Engineering RollerBlocks--I wasn't as fond of them under components, but they're the cat's meow under my speakers. Four is better than three, which is not always the case--sometimes odd nunmbers work better.

Herbie's Iso-Cups work for all my components with the exception of two. I'm able to use them under my preamps again (had been using Tenderfeet for some time because my power cords interfered). I've found that the VooDoo Cable Iso-Pods are working very well under my turntable and Power Plant Premier, though I didn't liek them under my preamps. . . it's an interesting past time, playing around with isolation. Smiley Racks and stands are great too (though I've learned over time that my rack doesn't really isolate).

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #1097 - 05/09/14 at 16:56:15

I've been experimenting with vibration isolation the past few years. I've used a variety of 2-shelf racks with different shelving materials with only limited success at best. Recently I purchased Maple Platforms with Isoblock footers from Mapleshade and have been very impressed with the sonic results.

My problem was always with vibration from the floor being transmitted through my equipment rack & shelves to the audio gear. The Main Maple Platform (18" wide, 15" deep, 4" thick, 25 pounds) is very stable compared to the floor when I'm cranking the system. The Second Maple Platform (15" wide, 12" deep, 2" thick, 10 pounds) is stable as well.

« Last Edit: 05/09/14 at 17:07:02 by DBC »  

Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CKC amp, Klipsch RF-7 mains, HSU MBM-12 MK2 mid bass module, HSU ULS-15 sub
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #1098 - 05/09/14 at 17:38:29

I really like the Mapleshade platforms as well. . . I have 2" and 4" ones beneath components on my Mapleshade Samson racks, and I have PS Audio PowerBases on top of those! Overkill, but as the Samson racks themselves don't really isolate, the platforms and PowerBases take my sound to a new level. I've stopped using the MapleShade Iso-Blocks and now use Herbie's Audio Lab "Grungebuster Dots" (the 2" size) under the platforms, but if I had platforms right on the floor I'd probably use the Iso-Blocks.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #1099 - 05/09/14 at 23:47:26

You guys and your whimpy little 4" thick maple stands.
My Torii sits on a 5" thick slice of maple tree trunk! It has about 1/8" of shellac over the top and sits on a mahogany base.
I cut the wood with a chainsaw, planed it level, sanded until it was shiny and then started shellacking until I went through 2 cans of Bulls Eye.
My sub sits over in the corner on another hunk that is more like 6" thick
Sounds better? Probably not, but it sounds good enough for me.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII
  IP Logged
Archie
Verified Member

Reply #1100 - 05/09/14 at 23:55:22

There doesn't seem to be a coherent theory about audio acoustics when it comes to induced vibration so subjective sound seems the best.  However, given so many random variables, I took the approach of isolating from induced vibration entirely. (Other that acoustical vibration from the ambient sound waves directly on the composent.) I built platforms that do not pass vibration from my stand into the components.  My stand vibrates like crazy but the components are totally still.  If anyone is interested they can PM me and I'll email a picture.  I can't get one to post here.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #1101 - 05/10/14 at 00:36:01

I know, it didn't happen unless there are pictures.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII
  IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #1102 - 05/10/14 at 01:13:01

Nice looking chunk of Maple Donnie!       Smiley

Cool

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #1103 - 05/28/14 at 16:51:48

....that is cool Donnie.

Well, I moved an now have a new Listening Room set up...I could not resist the cap gain....an the new digs are just as good!

I am not trying to sell anyone a CSP3, with Jupiter Bee's wax caps and adjustable voltage output, but..............?, I clearly did not need the pre with my SE84CS or Super Zen CKC. I also know some are using the XLR input option an if you have a front end with analog volume you MIGHT be okay... .

However, now with 80+ hours on my CSP3 with Jup Caps'........it takes the Mystery Amp to a whole other level in liquidity an definition. Premium RCA's IC's are a must too.....to obtain the last 5% you may be looking for.

Furthermore, consider, if the ZMA with CSP3 did not match the transparency with gobs of musicality, that my SE84CS with original Svetlana SV83's provides.....it would be sold already. .......the ZMA with CSP3 is my new reference. I use Kimber Silver Streak IC/RCA from DAC to CSP3...an Kimber Select 1030 IC/RCA from Pre to Mystery Amplifier. Obviously, this negates the need for XLR. XLR is only needed for long runs. Premium RCA IC is the best way to go...and is certainly not just my opinion. However, if you can't hear the difference of premium RCA IC....something in your chain IS lacking or you just can't hear to this next level.  

Yeah, I need to upgrade my Signature....my Polk SDA-1's in Stereo an my Anthony Gallo 3.1 Reference Speakers with Kimber 3035 are the new level...Organic realism with gobs of detail un-etched.

« Last Edit: 05/28/14 at 17:17:18 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #1104 - 05/28/14 at 17:02:41

I'm going to be pestering Steve about XLR based preamps.

I also need to follow up with him on the Mini-Decfest which is coming up quickly! I've been so busy with work I haven't had a chance to confirm everything.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #1105 - 05/30/14 at 04:44:45

I set up a ZMA forum (finally).  I would have gotten to it sooner but I've had about  20 hours less per week to get things done because I can't stop listening to this amp on my tape machine...

http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?board=ZMA

Steve  :)

« Last Edit: 05/30/14 at 04:45:35 by Steve Deckert »  
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 
Send Topic Print