Send Topic Print
The MYSTERY AMP ! (Read 154341 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: The MYSTERY AMP !
Reply #1005 - 03/28/14 at 15:57:12

There is a nice set of 3.1 on eBay right now for $2k. I was seriously tempted to nip them...but I'd get divorced before I even got married if I popped another $2k into my setup.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #1006 - 03/28/14 at 17:15:10

It is all about balance LR....balance in your life. You're a young man...I see great things in your audio musical journey.

Now me, having turned 50 last month an getting peppered with AARP mailings...geeeeeez  ;D..... .  Balance, is the key....I still run 7 miles...3 times per week...so I can drink my Summit Extra Pale Ale and not get fat! The girlfriend comes up tomorrow...for the rest of the weekend...so I need to put in some quality time with my ZMA an Gallo's tonight!

I was able to get the Gallo's switched in this morning and just wrapped up a great session with them. Lets just say, they are staying in and I am glad I put 300+ hours on my ZMA & Kimber 3035 Speaker Cable (they now have 500+ hours)....before I put them in....the 3.1's do not disappoint with Tubes/ZMA!

Now, off to get something done today... . Goodnight Auberge....I must work while you sleep the day....(Chris Rea)...my metaphor for the day.

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #1007 - 03/28/14 at 22:26:36

Beowolf....

yes Paul did state publicly that the Aethetix Calypso preamp "changed his mind about the role of a preamp in a modern system".  I have talked directly to Paul about his experience with his Calypso several times.  And as a result, ended up getting one myself, and got the same exact tubes Paul uses in his, and from the exact same source, that he claims makes the Calypso a giant slayer.  I believe the Calypso Paul originally heard that made him go all ga-ga, was driving a pair of ARC Ref-150s.
I've had my Calypso several months now... it is good, it is very good.  But I have found the tubes Paul recommended to be a bit too much of a good thing for me, at least part of the time, unless the source/recording is absolutely pristine.  This is with my Calypso in front of a Jupitered Torii MK.III.  And I have paired it with other amps as well.  I also bought a set of Aethetix matched and burned in tubes directly from Aesthetix and they tend to drive down the center of the road a bit better than the highly resolving tubes Paul recommended.  As we all know, synergy is key... put in some different tubes in my Torii... and things would be different and need to be adjusted somewhere else probably.

Anybody who dismisses the effects of the PS Audio regenerators has either 1) never actually had/heard one in their system, or 2) simply can't hear or doesn't want to hear.
I first had the PS regenerator OMG experience with a PP Premier in May 2008.  It had a dramatic (positive) impact on my system and everything plugged into it.  And I drug it around to a few friends houses, and it did the same thing there too.  My PPP developed some issues when it was 4 yrs old and out of warranty, which PS fixed - no charge.  I upgraded to the Perfect Wave P5 late December 2012, so have had it a bit over a year now and it has been flawless.  I could not decisively tell you that the P5 performs better than my old PPP, but it is at least "as good".  I became very accustomed and acclimated to what the PPP brought to the table and could readily identify it.  Occasionally I would unplug my pre or amp from it, just to see what I could hear, if anything changed, etc.  Never once did I have to "struggle" to hear the difference.  Rez, micro dynamic detail, blackness, etc. all improve several notches when components are plugged into the P5.  I consider it an essential component at this point.
Do not get all hung up on the P3 vs P5 vs P10.  Their sonic improvement potentials are essentially the same - only their output capacity is different.  One of the things about the P5 and P10's is that they have the ability to show you the "load" being pulled by your gear/ watts being drawn.  With my system at full song, my P5 shows that there is never more than 250 watts being consumed.  I have all my 2-ch gear plugged into the P5 and the P5 plugged into a dedicated 20-amp circuit.  My Torii draws about 145 watts all the time per the P5, if memory serves.  the Torii's power consumption does not change with the volume level like that of a class A/B amp.  Idle, no music playing, or volume uncomfortably high, Torii power consumption is the same.  I have never heard, seen or observed the fans coming on in my P5 - ever, except during first turn on from the master power switch in the back which kind of "reboots" it.  I also have never felt it more than slightly above room temperature either.   The P3 has nearly the same output power capacity as a P5, just no touch screen interface, nor networking capability - if you don't want, need or desire those features..nor need the power capacity(unlikely you do unless you plug a big screen TV into it) save the $$ and get a P3.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #1008 - 03/28/14 at 22:36:24

Yeah, I got the typical "any EE will tell you that's what the power supply does, regenerators are BS" thing.

beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #1009 - 03/28/14 at 23:10:31

@ maddog07 - thanks for the clarification of the differences between the 3 models.  Considering you can often find P5's for very close to the same amount as the P3 (music direct for example has P5 demo units that cost $200 more than a P3). I would hold out for a P5 if looking for a newer model. Cool

« Last Edit: 03/28/14 at 23:11:28 by beowulf »  
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #1010 - 03/28/14 at 23:13:29

I also believe the P5 and P10 have more firmware options, and the P10 has 70Amps of reserve current for dynamic passages.

maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #1011 - 03/28/14 at 23:35:39

LR... check your P10 load/power output when your ZMA is on, idling, no music playing - and check it when the volume is at ear-bleed levels - draw will be the same.  Only class A/B amps power draw varies with the music.  I had a big arc-welder SS amp, class A/B and it would draw about 1/3 the power at idle of my Torii.  But as the volume went up, so did the power draw of the amp - considerably.  But never saw it go over 400 watts at volumes that I could not comfortably listen at for less than a few seconds - speakers would probably have folded too.  If you have a component that draws 70 amps of current for more than milliseconds very frequently - I'd like to see the fuse and the size of the wiring inside that component.  A 20 amp household circuit, wired with 12 awg to code can sustain about 1920 watts continuous draw.  The most power hungry thing I have ever observed in my house on a 15 or 20 amp single phase line - a hair dryer, space heater or a plasma big screen.  These will all draw about the max a 15 amp line can sustain....
the P10 might have the ability to deliver a 70 amp burst for a millisecond, but your zma will never draw it or need it.  It is class A and draws what it draws all the time - idle or full bore.  But we could ask Steve about this to be certain.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #1012 - 03/29/14 at 00:08:29

Big difference between heavy current draw and peak draw, and I'm sure having the headroom doesn't hurt. Just like having the fat caps on the ZMA helps, having that extra juice helps.

Also, my ZMA isn't the only thing on the P10. I've got a whole whole theater (Receiver, HTPC, Oppo) with a 2000watt subwoofer.

As I said, the P10 has a 70 amp reserve, I didn't say it draws 70 amps.

seikosha

Reply #1013 - 03/29/14 at 01:28:30

FYI, the P3 will tell you how many watts your equipment is drawing.

Mini Torii, SE84CKC, Omega Super3XRS, Oppo95 as Transport, Shiit Bifrost UBER Dac, PS Audio P3 Powerplant
  IP Logged
FarmBoss
Verified Member

Reply #1014 - 04/01/14 at 02:30:03

I have been enjoying my Mystery Amp but as it is in my other place I only get to listen to it on weekends.  At this rate I will have 500 hours in a few years...

Off topic but my Headphone rig the Mini Torrie has now started sounding distorted.  I haven't changed the tubes since I got it.  Do tubes deteriorate over time or do they just stop working?  It sounds like crap right now with my LCD2's and any source.   If it is a tube problem would it most likely be the output or input or a regulator?  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #1015 - 04/01/14 at 02:35:48

It could well be a tube going old and senile. Most likely a power tube, they have the shortest of the lives.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
FarmBoss
Verified Member

Reply #1016 - 04/01/14 at 02:59:43

Lon-I think it was the power tubes.  I had some 1958 RCA 6V6GT in there.  Swapped out with the JJ tubes it came with and it is sounding better.  I also think it is that I got used to the Mystery Amp and my Martin Logans and am now hearing the faults in my headphone rig.  Funny how once I was content.  More is never enough is it?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #1017 - 04/01/14 at 03:15:00

No you're right, we get to these peaks and plateaux of contentment and then the sky clears and we can see the next peaks off near the horizon, and they draw us to them.

Glad the power tubes were the culprit. I've had power tubes give me distortion before, so that was why I suggested it.

« Last Edit: 04/01/14 at 03:18:03 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #1018 - 04/01/14 at 16:12:23

Another Mini-Update:

I've lost track of the hours on the ZMA - I'm somewhere between 250-300 I figure. I'm not really worried about it at this point.

Had a quick listening session with Palomino recently; when he comes over, I shut the subwoofer off and run the MG944 full range rather than crossed over (rather high at 120hz). I was pleasantly surprised by how big and punchy the bass was from the little MG944 speakers; I could actually feel it hit me in the chest! The ZMA and these speakers weren't doing this 100 hours ago!

I've been re-listening to some albums that I kinda got burnt out on while waiting for the ZMA, and when I first got the ZMA - Some Musica Nuda, ALT-J, Heart, Crosby, Stills, & Nash. I gave them all a spin over the past few days, and all sounded even better! The dry top end is starting to smooth a bit, which is good, because that was getting to me. The ZMA being "honest", really shows how accurate, but *dry* the Oppo BDP-105 is.

I'm no longer having the "Wow, I've never heard that before!" instances like when I first started putting hours on the ZMA, it's more like "Ahh, the smoothness, and air around the instruments".

I'm also trying out some power cables borrowed from Palomino - a PS Audio AC-12 and AC-5. I'm skeptical of power cables making a difference, and I'm not hearing any wiz bang changes; maybe just blacker backgrounds, and I swear more even sound across the audio spectrum. Which, IMHO, would be enough for me to spring for these cables if they didn't cost so much. The problem is, with the amp maturing as well as it is, the difference I heard on Sunday (the only day I had time to listen) could simple be the amp being the amp. I'm going to listen to the new power cables a bit more late tonight, then put my DIY cables back in and see if removing the cables makes me go "damn this sucks" or not.

I firmly believe the big caps on the ZMA negate much of the WOW factor that you get with the PS Audio Power Plant and PS Audio power cables. It's not perfect of course, but instead of a 25% improvement in sound with these devices and cables, I'm probably hearing a 5% improvement. Putting my little 2 watt Zen amp on the P10 made me go WOW, and Palomino keeps telling me how awesome his PPP and these cables are on his Rachel amps - which backs up my thoughts. (all hail the giant caps!)

I know I've mentioned this before, but the apparent volume of the ZMA has increased slightly as well. I find myself turning the output on my Oppo down. When the ZMA was only minutes old, I was at 80% and kinda disappointed, within hours of new the ZMA was off like a galloping horse and I was down to 75%. Fast Forward to today, and on average, I'm (casual) listening at around 55% and deep listening at 75%, both a good 20% lower volume than just six weeks ago!

Lastly, I've also heard told that the apparent volume on amps seems to go up with AC-12 power cables due to the blacker background. So I'm going to see what I see later tonight when I got back to my DIY Zen Styx style 10AWG power cables.

There is more I want to say here, but it's more about listening than the ZMA specifically, so I may start another thread rather than further clutter up this one. It's just another one of my audio theories that I need to flesh out a bit, and maybe talking about it in the forums will help me develop this theory.

« Last Edit: 04/01/14 at 16:12:57 by Lonely Raven »  
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #1019 - 04/01/14 at 17:51:10

Cool LR....keep it all coming..... .

I love this Amplifier! My CSP3 is so close to "Shipping Department".....I will hear from Sarah soon.

I have had my Gallo 3.1's in the last 4 days....and they ain't and I mean ain't coming out.  I swear, being crossed over at 150...they play like they are 93db...not 88db @......2.83 etc... .

Next up...another pair of Speakers that can play with my Zens!
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL

Hell, I have 10 pair of.....why not make it 11!   Grin

http://www.audiophileliquidator.net/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=120&produc...

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged