OK, here's my current audio system as it sits right now:

Amplifier: Zen Triode

Speakers: Tang Band D3-1 Back Loaded Horn Speakers, Full Range

CD Player: Decware CD 200

Tuner: Sangean HDT 1-X HD Tuner

Interconnects: Solid silver home brew

Speaker cables: Solid silver, 20 conductor strapping

AC Cables: Stock NAIM, IEC

I have very limited space, so I opted to put it all on one console table...

Sound: †Forward, precise, but natural... †(m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Re: My Zen System:
Reply #1 - 03/30/13 at 19:37:25

VERY NICE !!!

Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CKC amp, Klipsch RF-7 mains, HSU MBM-12 MK2 mid bass module, HSU ULS-15 sub
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/30/13 at 23:28:36

Wow, those speakers look really cool!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #3 - 03/31/13 at 00:37:18

Looks great! I wish I had a place that looked that bright and uncluttered!  ;)

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #4 - 03/31/13 at 03:43:34

Sometimes "less is more". A "simple" system like yours, is capable of a very refined and revealing presentation.
Knowing how well a Zen pairs with single driver speakers, you just know the music is all there.
Don

« Last Edit: 03/31/13 at 03:44:53 by Doorman »  

Decware SE34I w/ CCE mod, ZCD, Heybrook/Linn/Clearaudio, Hagerman,
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/02/13 at 00:52:03

Yes, well said... Less is definitely more in this sytem...

For those wondering what is lurking inside those speaker boxes:

...about 9 ft. of folded horn... †(m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/02/13 at 02:30:18

You may wish to consider isolating the amp and CD player from the speakers. If they are thumping it might affect the player and the amp to a smaller degree. Why wouldn't you put the speakers on small stands?

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
ncblue

Reply #7 - 04/02/13 at 02:32:01

Speakers look cool! Don't ou have vibration issues with them mounted on the same shelf as the amp though?

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 04/02/13 at 03:12:28

Hello... Actually, no... The amp is very stable, and it isolates very well from vibration... Also, there seems to be no problem from airborne sound either...

I don't know if you recall Steve's design for a back-loaded horn speaker, where you can get the power amps installed right in the cabinets...

There was also a paper-- I'd have to find it-- where Lukasz Fikus (Lampizator) mounts a CD player directly on top of a speaker... The idea was that any vibration that contaminated the CD player would be sympathetic to the music presentation...

This might be a little over the top, but does make a point, and that is that mechanical and acoustical vibrations don't always degrade the sound...

At any rate, no, the sound does not appear to be compromised... (m.)

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 04/02/13 at 03:19:39

@ Rivieraranch: †I've thought about making some stands, but not for isolation... More for some leeway in placement in my room...

But I would assume that that would put to rest any issues with isolation as well...

I've run the speakers wide open, and don't seem to have any isolation problems to date... † (m.)

IP Logged
RoyMercer

Reply #10 - 04/19/13 at 01:49:07

Your speakers are beautiful! †

« Last Edit: 04/19/13 at 01:49:23 by RoyMercer »  

Velodyne SMS-1, DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0, Decware Torii MK3, Dynaco MK3 Mono, Outlaw 7500, Modwright Oppo 95 & 105, Decware HDT's, Klipsch RC64 II, RS62 II's, QSC RMX 4050, 2 Danley Sound Labs DTS-10ís, P5 power plant, Powervar ABC3030, ABCE1440 & 30+GIK traps.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print