Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/20/14 at 09:29:55

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
"potato masher" rectifiers in the SE 34i.2+ (Read 1246 times)
dias
Verified Member

"potato masher" rectifiers in the SE 34i.2+
03/29/13 at 18:10:11

Hello, all. I'm the proud owner of an SE 34i.2+.  I'm flirting with the idea of trying out some NOS Cetron 5R4GWB rectifiers.  Wondering if anyone else here has tried these in this amp and wants to share their impressions.

Cheers!

System = Thorens 160/Goldring 1012GX/Rega Fono; SB Duet/Lavry DA 11; SE 34i.2+; Blumenstein Audio Floorstanders

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: "potato masher" rectifiers in the SE 34i.2+
Reply #1 - 01/23/14 at 01:59:42

Dias,

Sorry I missed this thread, and you have probably long forgotten it. I use Chatham labelled 5R4WGYs in my Torri MKIV (and in my MkIII) regularly.  Not knowing the rectifier you use, I can't compare, but this tube has a very solid sound that is extended, neutral and open with just a touch of warmth. I really like them as a choice. My other most used rectifiers are 50's RCA 5U4G-STs with different plates and getters offering pretty nice variation within the theme.

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
dias
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 01/23/14 at 04:38:08

Howdy, Will.

Many thanks for the response.  

I have been using RCA 5U4Gs (straight bottle) with great success.  They were noticeably better than the Sovteks that preceded them.  Smoother and warmer, yet no apparent loss of detail.

Very recently, however, I subbed in some 1940s RCA 5R4GYs (dark brown base, double bottom getters).  I'm still forming impressions, but so far am very impressed and think I may be all done thinking about rectifiers!  Other tubes are 6n1P-ev drivers and cryod JJ 6CA7 outputs.

System:  Mac running Amarra; ifi usb purifier; Lavry DA 11; Thorens 160 with Goldring 1012GX; Lounge Audio LCR phono stage; custom preamp with 7788 tubes and parafeed transformer coupled outputs; Decware SE 34I.2+; Blumenstein Orcas with dual subs

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: "potato masher" rectifiers in the SE 34i
Reply #3 - 01/23/14 at 05:01:22

Hey Dias,

Sounds like you found some nice tubes. I have some RCA 5R4GYs, medium/dark brown base, single rectangle bottom getter, that I think are early 50s. They are nice tubes, leaner than the Chathams, slightly off balance with a very open midrange and a big mid-bass. I have a number of tubes like this, but tend to personally prefer a more neutral rectifier though it depends on the other tubes. Your earlier RCA's may have a different signature than mine, but with 6N1ps and JJ6CA7, I can imagine that mine would sound very, very nice in your 34.

I had a long affair with 5U4G straight bottles and really did enjoy that. I imagine I might head that way again one day. I really like the very open and textured midrange and deep bass many have. Congrats on finding a great rectifier for your setup!

« Last Edit: 01/23/14 at 05:02:37 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
dias
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 01/24/14 at 00:18:01

I believe the straight bottle RCA 5U4Gs are a tremendous value. They can be found relatively cheap, and are just so darned musical.  So far these 1940s 5R4GYs are really impressing me, but I need to log in some more listening time to make my final concusions.  I know I could easily live with the straight bottle RCA 5U4Gs if I had to do so.

All of this really goes to show how incredibly resolving the Decware amp is - in my experience every change in the system (be it driver, rectifier or power tubes, the ifi purifier I just added, better isolation between my digital and analog components, etc) is clearly and audibly appreciated.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: "potato masher" rectifiers in the SE 34i
Reply #5 - 01/24/14 at 16:38:29

I have found this to be the case too. Everything really matters with Decware gear assuming there are not one or more weak links that degrades the whole. For me this level of resolution and musicality is really important, as I have a lot of fun...listening carefully....refining the system/room....and getting totally captivated by the music. Sort of three very enjoyable aspects to explore at once....It sounds like you like these too. For me this would not happen if the sound were not so resolving, but as importantly, so natural and engulfing. I am really grateful for the Decware crew's dedication to this!

« Last Edit: 01/24/14 at 16:39:06 by will »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print