05/29/16 at 06:50:59 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
ZOB build (Read 7882 times)
tom.gnade
Verified Member

Re: ZOB build
Reply #15 - 04/28/13 at 18:04:07

Waste from the 4x8 sheet. There is just enough to replace one of the larger panels if I blow it somehow.

image_2.jpeg

Decware ZOB / Vandersteen 2wq / Sugden A21ap / Promitheus TVC / Rega Saturn / PS Audio P300
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #16 - 04/28/13 at 19:23:55

Tom, It's easy to see that you got this right! I'm glad to see it done that way. Good material and good tools will pay in the end. I know what you mean about that one long cut with a 6 degree angle, or something like that. It was a bit of a challenge for me too. The clamp I wanted to use was just short of what I needed, so I was stuck with a sabre saw, and then carefully finish up to the line with a sander. Now, you get to use your imagination again when it comes to glue up with panels that are not cut at 90 degree angles. I used inside brackets to help hold the panels in place. Worked out ok, but again line up was still a challenge. As you already know, placing slats for your gaps will be of great help in maintaining  correct gaps. You can use good tape to hold the slats in place. Keep up with the photos, and don't rush it, think it through.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/BESL subs/Emotiva ERC3 CD player/BPT 3.0 power cond. PS Audio P500
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #17 - 09/26/13 at 15:18:08

Were there any finished pictures of this project?

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
tom.gnade
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 09/17/15 at 16:45:30

I know this is stupid but I left the speakers sitting until 2 weeks ago, just had too many other things going on. I have them nearly completed now, and will post a few build pics when they are done.

Decware ZOB / Vandersteen 2wq / Sugden A21ap / Promitheus TVC / Rega Saturn / PS Audio P300
  IP Logged
tom.gnade
Verified Member

Reply #19 - 10/05/15 at 05:19:26

I have the speakers assembled but not glued or finished. I spent a few hours listening to them last night for the first time, and I can say that the effort of building the ZOBs was well worth the trouble. They have outrageous imaging and soundstage, and very good dynamics. A touch soft in the mid-bass region, but my Vandersteen subs fill in the low end nicely and seem like a nice match. The acousta-stuff may even out the low-end response a bit once I seal and stuff the cabinets.

Since I listen to a lot of rock, I was worried they wouldn't have the dynamics I love, but they do. They aren't the heaviest hitters, but I knew that going in - my highest priority is the openness of the baffle setup, and that is delivered quite well.

They are extremely sensitive to, or maybe I should say revealing of, the recording material. There is a very open and airy sound to them, probably typical of all open baffle speakers, and I agree that it is similar to an electrostatic speaker - I've had Martin Logans and Magnepans. They both had integration and soundstage issues I didn't like, nor could they deliver anything like the dynamics you easily get from the ZOBs - though the Martin Logans came close. Needless to say, with my better recordings, I had a few smiles on my face. Of course they probably have a bit of a shine on them because after all this work I simply couldn't bear for them to sound mediocre - so I want to avoid hyperbole. Obviously, there are better speakers to be had, but probably not for anything near the money I DIY'd these ZOBs for.

I used a single sheet of baltic birch plywood for the cabinets (per earlier posts), and quarter-sawn sapele for the baffles. The joinery is simple dowling - not perfect, but good enough. A plunge router and circle jig were extremely useful for cutting the port and driver holes, and for cutting the groove for the sliding panel. I've included a few pictures in the following posts. I will final sand and finish them in the next few weeks.
« Last Edit: 10/05/15 at 17:59:35 by tom.gnade »  

image1.JPG

IP Logged
tom.gnade
Verified Member

Reply #20 - 10/05/15 at 16:55:47

Look Ma! Standing up and jammin without a drop of glue. Cheesy

image2.JPG

IP Logged
tom.gnade
Verified Member

Reply #21 - 10/05/15 at 16:57:26

Construction pic - mounting the baffles.

image3.JPG

IP Logged
tom.gnade
Verified Member

Reply #22 - 10/05/15 at 16:58:28

Frames complete.

image4.JPG

IP Logged
tom.gnade
Verified Member

Reply #23 - 10/05/15 at 16:59:58

The very first step in assembly...

image5.JPG

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #24 - 10/12/15 at 12:01:22

Good for you Tom, your almost there....ummmm that's not you in the stroller is it? I AM impressed.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/BESL subs/Emotiva ERC3 CD player/BPT 3.0 power cond. PS Audio P500
  IP Logged
tom.gnade
Verified Member

Reply #25 - 10/14/15 at 17:36:00

Ha! No, that's Cookie, the build supervisor and main reason my speakers sat unbuilt for 2 years. Lol.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print