04/23/14 at 11:55:13

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Wyred 4 Sound DAC 2 (Read 3461 times)
chalk
Verified Member

Re: Wyred 4 Sound DAC 2
Reply #15 - 03/18/13 at 16:12:43

Thanks for the replies and opinions everyone. The dac 2 certainly seems well regarded.

Source material for the dac 2 would be cd player as transport via coaxial  and laptop (iTunes) via USB.

for convenience, i may get an airport express to stream music wirelessly from itunes. I read that the airport express should be better than the apple tv for this purpose as the apple tv up samples to 48kHz which is a slight degrade from cd quality at 44.1kHz.

IP Logged
Longbowbbs

Life is a journey,
not a guided tour.

Reply #16 - 03/19/13 at 01:22:43

Big thumbs up to the W4S DAC-2 with Decware. I am very pleased with it. I am using it with USB from the MBPro and via Coax from JRiver and my Windows 8 HP Elite Desktop.

« Last Edit: 03/19/13 at 01:23:18 by Longbowbbs »  

Upgradeus Interruptus
MacMini,W4S DAC-2 DSDse,Denon DVD-5900, Decware CSP2+, Taboo MK III, Sennheiser HD800's, DM945's, DefTech Supercube 3
http://www.head-fi.org/t/654644/a-visit-to-decware
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 03/19/13 at 02:28:21

chalk added:
Quote:
for convenience, i may get an airport express to stream music wirelessly from itunes. I read that the airport express should be better than the apple tv for this purpose as the apple tv up samples to 48kHz which is a slight degrade from cd quality at 44.1kHz.

FWIW, and I certainly don't want to start an upsampling war, it is not necessarily true that upsampling degrades SQ. In fact, that upsample may be less impactful than the wireless aspect. You'll have to listen to decide. Also, are you referring to a current ATV, or a Gen1? I believe Gen1 still supports 44.1. I used a Gen1 ATV for quite a while to feed my PS Audio DAL III, and liked it a lot. And I still use an Airport Express in a couple of rooms to feed low-res music playback to a couple of portable units. Anyway, good luck with it!

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 03/21/13 at 03:32:20

I am realtively new to DAC's and don't have the experience that PR, Lon and others have, but I just wanted to mention that I spoke with Steve at Empirical Audio and he had high regards for the W4S DAC 2. EA makes their own DACs and also SPDIF to USB reclockers for others as well), but he also mentioned that I2S was the way to go for that DAC if possible.

« Last Edit: 03/21/13 at 03:32:56 by beowulf »  
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 03/21/13 at 20:14:31

Good info beowulf. Steve knows his stuff.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #20 - 03/22/13 at 22:58:00

I'll toss my .02 cents in here.  I by no means have heard everything in the DA world.  But I have owned/heard many, and I currently own a Wyred DAC-2 since last fall.  I have owned a Levinson #39, some of the CAL stuff long ago, Musical Fidelity, started with Audio Alchemy back in the day - hey, hey!  A PS Audio DAC or two has passed thru the system.  And though I have heard the PWD, I have never had it in my system.  I have also owned and/or had in my system, every DAC or player that Theta Digital has ever made, except the current Gen. 8.  To my ears, Theta has been superior to everything I've ever owned or heard.  Bear with me - this will be relevant shortly.  Their DAC's just make music sound more "live", more "real" to me.  I think Theta was way ahead of the times.  They were up-sampling and oversampling long before those became marketing buzz words.  And I think a lot of the Theta "house sound" has to do with the analog output sections in their products.  To say they are robust, would be a huge understatement.  But anyway to cut to the chase.  My 1999 model Theta has been my preferred Reference DAC for over a decade, besting all comers - up until the Wyred DAC-2 hit my system last fall.  Now to put this into perspective, the Wyred does not annihilate the Theta or anything like that.  But the Wyred is "as good" as the Theta in all areas, and best it in a couple areas, and is just "different" in some other sonic aspects.  Where the Wyred does whoop up on the Theta is in connection flexibility, bit depth and sampling rate capability, volume control if you like, etc.  I am slowly headed to a music server type rig setup so I can sit on my fat butt in my listening chair and call up any tune I want via my iPad without ever having to move!  And my Theta will not accommodate this, and thus I went on a search for a DAC that would, and that did not sacrifice the sonic qualities I value so highly in my Theta.  The Wyred DAC2 meets my needs – sonically and functionally.  And I can’t say enough good about the company and its customer service so far – excellent.  Met them at RMAF too, a couple of years ago before I ever bought one of their products – really good guys.  Now I have one of their STi-1000’s also.. as well as my Torii….  But that’s a whole nother discussion!
Also… something I have noticed about both of my Wyred components.  They generally sound better “cold”, when you first turn them on for a listening session than most every other component I’ve ever owned.  They sound pretty good right off the bat – not as much “warm up” time required.  But after about 30 minutes, even though I have never seen them getting any warmer than slightly above room temperature, they really start to bloom and come “on song”.  As opposed to my Torii, which just sounds “wrong” when first fired up.  Takes about 30 minutes… really 45-60 before my Torii really starts to sound delicious and deliver all its luscious, sonic goodness.  No detriment to the Torii at all, just the nature of the technology I think.
I think the Wyred is definitely worth your time and trouble to give it a listen if you can - even if you ultimately find its not your sonic cup of tea.  I really can't think of anything else that will give you its SQ and functionality for anywhere near its price.  I'm sure there's something out there, but like I said, I haven't heard everything - nobody has.  And the choices these days are staggering.
But I also believe that the advances in DAC technology in the last 3 years or so have made it a lot easier to get "world class" digital sound for less than "world class" $$$.  Just my opin and experience.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 03/23/13 at 00:36:51

Great feedback maddog.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 03/23/13 at 01:04:01

Quote:
Great feedback maddog.

Agreed!

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, modded Oppo 83, TORII MkIV, MorrowAudio SP7 cables, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PI Audio Uberbuss...PI, VHaudio DIY, Neotech DIY, Cryoparts DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab feet and tube dampers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #23 - 03/23/13 at 04:02:59

maddog07 wrote on 03/22/13 at 22:58:00:
I'll toss my .02 cents in here.  I by no means have heard everything in the DA world.  But I have owned/heard many, and I currently own a Wyred DAC-2 since last fall.  I have owned a Levinson #39, some of the CAL stuff long ago, Musical Fidelity, started with Audio Alchemy back in the day - hey, hey!  A PS Audio DAC or two has passed thru the system.  And though I have heard the PWD, I have never had it in my system.  I have also owned and/or had in my system, every DAC or player that Theta Digital has ever made, except the current Gen. 8.  To my ears, Theta has been superior to everything I've ever owned or heard.  Bear with me - this will be relevant shortly.  Their DAC's just make music sound more "live", more "real" to me.  I think Theta was way ahead of the times.  They were up-sampling and oversampling long before those became marketing buzz words.  And I think a lot of the Theta "house sound" has to do with the analog output sections in their products.  To say they are robust, would be a huge understatement.  But anyway to cut to the chase.  My 1999 model Theta has been my preferred Reference DAC for over a decade, besting all comers - up until the Wyred DAC-2 hit my system last fall.  Now to put this into perspective, the Wyred does not annihilate the Theta or anything like that.  But the Wyred is "as good" as the Theta in all areas, and best it in a couple areas, and is just "different" in some other sonic aspects.  Where the Wyred does whoop up on the Theta is in connection flexibility, bit depth and sampling rate capability, volume control if you like, etc.  I am slowly headed to a music server type rig setup so I can sit on my fat butt in my listening chair and call up any tune I want via my iPad without ever having to move!  And my Theta will not accommodate this, and thus I went on a search for a DAC that would, and that did not sacrifice the sonic qualities I value so highly in my Theta.  The Wyred DAC2 meets my needs – sonically and functionally.  And I can’t say enough good about the company and its customer service so far – excellent.  Met them at RMAF too, a couple of years ago before I ever bought one of their products – really good guys.  Now I have one of their STi-1000’s also.. as well as my Torii….  But that’s a whole nother discussion!
Also… something I have noticed about both of my Wyred components.  They generally sound better “cold”, when you first turn them on for a listening session than most every other component I’ve ever owned.  They sound pretty good right off the bat – not as much “warm up” time required.  But after about 30 minutes, even though I have never seen them getting any warmer than slightly above room temperature, they really start to bloom and come “on song”.  As opposed to my Torii, which just sounds “wrong” when first fired up.  Takes about 30 minutes… really 45-60 before my Torii really starts to sound delicious and deliver all its luscious, sonic goodness.  No detriment to the Torii at all, just the nature of the technology I think.
I think the Wyred is definitely worth your time and trouble to give it a listen if you can - even if you ultimately find its not your sonic cup of tea.  I really can't think of anything else that will give you its SQ and functionality for anywhere near its price.  I'm sure there's something out there, but like I said, I haven't heard everything - nobody has.  And the choices these days are staggering.
But I also believe that the advances in DAC technology in the last 3 years or so have made it a lot easier to get "world class" digital sound for less than "world class" $$$.  Just my opin and experience.

If this system allowed you to a "like" a post, I'd "LIKE" this one. Smiley

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print