Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
12/22/14 at 18:29:23

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Audio Expo North America (Read 3695 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: Audio Expo North America
Reply #15 - 03/14/13 at 13:47:57

Well, I'm divided about the high high end, have a different viewpoint and won't be trashing them all. If you have the money, I'm sure there's really incredible components to have and enjoy. AND there are developments and steps forward in all aspects of playback that result from the development of these products.

I love my Decware components and feel they get me so close to the ultimate level I want to fly on in my listening world. And if I could live with just vinyl playback, my Decware amp, phono preamp and preamp and speakers just DELIVER in such a satisfying way that I would be done.

Where I've gone past that is with digital playback. I just was not ever as satisfied with a Decware digital component, and I have such a massive cd collection that I wanted to get to another level in playback, and went happily with PS Audio products, which are in the lower tier of the high end. I had to shell out really big money for me for the transport and DAC but it really transformed my listening and I have no regrets, only gratitude to be able to have this sound. And I feel I can stick with it for a long time and still be satisfied.

And the other aspect that sucked me up into the higher end is power treatment. First it was PS Audio power cords, I climbed the chain with these and their top items are AMAZING. I've bought these top of the line items used and still paid a lot, but they really allow my amps and preamps and sources to flow in a way that nothing else has. Like stone's Kimber cabling, they're just offering something I haven't found elsewhere and won't be without now. On top of that the PS Audio power conditioning has allowed everything to shine, probably because my house wiring and power is pretty bad untreated, but I bet they'll still transform the sound in my next home. It's just so much better than the isolation transformer route I went before, I will now always feel that is an essential foundation for my system.

Sure there's a lot of pretentious BS in the industry at the high end (and low end!) level. But I'm glad that there are these options out there, it helps all aspects of the industry, in my opinion. I won't just heap scorn on them all.

« Last Edit: 03/14/13 at 15:29:11 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 03/14/13 at 14:39:08

BTW, one of my disappointments at this show were the LCD headphones.  I listened to botht he LCD 2 and 3s.  I was expecting a more speakerlike sound and just didn't get it.  They actually sounded a little dull to me.  Maybe it was the headphone amp.  I can't remember the brand.

Mac Mini with Adirvana, Onkyo ND-S1 Digital Transport (modified) with linear power supply, iPod Classic, Chord QuteHD with Linear Power Supply, Signal Cable Digital Coax, Decware ICs, SE34I.32, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, PS Audio Power Cords, DIY Speakers
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 03/14/13 at 20:32:05

Interesting Palomino. Not sure what you mean by "speaker-like," because of course headphones, and the environment they create, are anything but speaker-like. Still, I find my LCD-2s very realistic.

Were there by chance any binaural recordings to listen to? That can make a huge difference if one is accustomed to speakers as the reference point. I recommend the HDTracks' Dr. Chesky Binaural+ recording as nearly essential for testing headphones. And of course the amp matters as well, but there are so many good amps for good headphones, that there is no excuse for a bad showing at the show.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 03/14/13 at 21:19:38

They were touted as the headphones for speaker lovers.  I thought it was because they created more of a speaker like sound stage.  What peaked my interest was when Steve created a version of one of his amps specifically for these headphones.

The headphones were all just plugged into a headphone amp.  I wasn't sure what the source was.

The table next to it had Senheiser and I tried the HD800.  I did find the sound from these to be more open.  Again, no idea what the source was.

I'm not a headphone guy but was just curious about these >$1K cans.  Probably not the best test site to learn about them.

Mac Mini with Adirvana, Onkyo ND-S1 Digital Transport (modified) with linear power supply, iPod Classic, Chord QuteHD with Linear Power Supply, Signal Cable Digital Coax, Decware ICs, SE34I.32, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, PS Audio Power Cords, DIY Speakers
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 03/14/13 at 22:02:58

I had Senn HD800, but I replaced them with the LCD-2, after several weeks of side-by-side listening tests. The very nature of the Senn design will allow them to sound more open, and I think they do sound brighter, but not to my ears "as good."

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 03/14/13 at 22:09:06

Palomino wrote:
Quote:
I found myself feeling lucky I found decware.  Thanks Steve for putting such value on the market.
+1, 10,000. google.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #21 - 03/16/13 at 19:15:44

I can't help but imagine that if Steve had set up a room with a nice turntable, the ZP3, the CSP2+, the Torii Mk III and the HR-1s or ERRs, there would have been many doing double-takes. And a few doing back flips.

These are all just plain fine-ass music-making components no matter what price tag appears on them.

« Last Edit: 03/16/13 at 19:16:19 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print