Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/31/14 at 12:49:18

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Speaker recommendations (Read 6636 times)
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Re: Speaker recommendations
Reply #30 - 03/15/13 at 00:55:24

Quote:
So I've decided to go with Zu. I spoke with Sean (great guy) and he is going to build me a custom Omen "Dirty Weekend" set of speakers. They will be an Omen Def cabinet/configuration with high output Soul Superfly drivers, plus tweeters featuring the Mundorf Silver Oil caps with high-pass values to match with the Omen Def with HO drivers.

Sounds pretty cool, keep us informed.  Did you get the Torii with the 8 ~ 16 ohm speaker setup?

Curious also if you ever talked with Eric at Tekton and what he had to say?

One more brand I might mention that seems to pair well with Decware is the Omega/Hoyt-Bedford.  I believe opnlybafld mentioned that one already though.

Anyways, good luck with your purchase!   Smiley

IP Logged
Hipfan

Reply #31 - 03/15/13 at 02:09:01

I never did speak with Eric at Tekton. My Torii has the 4 ohm / 8 ohm taps, however the dual Superfly driver build will be 8 ohm, 101dB.

Torii MK3, Icon Audio PS2, Rega P5, azur 640C V2, Klipsch Forte II (Crites), PS Audio Duet, MAC cabling
  IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 03/15/13 at 05:32:07

Oh man, your going love your Zu's. I just installed my NanoTech upgraded drivers in my Superfly's and it has left me speechless. They already sounded sooooooo good, but now they have entered into a new realm of performance I have not heard or at least liked as much (personal preference) in a sub $10.000 speaker. Everything is better, tranparancy, speed, much tigher bass resolution and incredible smoothness. They are the most "intimate speakers" I have ever heard and yet can rock the house down, you will understand what I mean when you get them. They like lots of toe-in, and Zu's placement guide for performance and tone is very interesting and sound counsel. The new drivers truly handle every type of music. The old drivers did struggle a little with very complex musical passages, but not now. Effortless fluidity is now the Norma for everything. Interestly, with the new drivers I now have turned up the treble pots a bit more, the treble smooth as silk. It's weird because the tweeter and silver/oil Mundorfs have not changed. Just shows how much high frequency's you get from the single drivers.

I have my Torii with the 8 and 16 ohm taps, as I bought it for my Zu's, but the 8 ohm tap sounds just as good so you will be thrilled. With the 101db efficency, you will notice any defect in a tube. I have has to replace a couple that were too noisy. My current tubes are all behaving now and very silent. The cyro JJ's 6ac7's and cyro 6N1P-EV from cyroset sound better than ever with the new nanotech drivers. Zu really has something special with these babies and are so generous in offering a cost effective upgrade. First class. I love how you call and talk to Sean, like he has all the time in the world.

One I hope to hear some Decware speakers, but Zu and Decware also are a perfect match. If you can afford the new ND drivers, I reccomend it. Even if you need to go with one driver per speaker.

« Last Edit: 03/15/13 at 18:19:09 by orangecrush »  
  IP Logged
Slapshot
Verified Member

Reply #33 - 05/04/13 at 20:07:45

Orangecrush, thanks for your comments on Zu's working so well with Decware amps. I was considering that combination but had not seen any previous comments on the subject.

JC

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print