Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/21/14 at 04:55:23

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Speaker recommendations (Read 7516 times)
Hipfan

Re: Speaker recommendations
Reply #15 - 03/03/13 at 02:34:00

Anyone here driving the Tekton Lore speaker?

Torii MK3, Icon Audio PS2, Rega P5, azur 640C V2, Klipsch Forte II (Crites), PS Audio Duet, MAC cabling
  IP Logged
opnlybafld
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 03/03/13 at 02:54:06

All of the usual suspects that I have checked and that are more easily demoed (Monitor Audio RX-6 ~ PSB T6 ~ KEF Q700 ...etc.) are around 90dB.
I like Omega/Hoyt-Bedford speakers with 2 (or more) subs for rock, but again like most higher sensitive speakers that I know of hard to hear before purchase.
I haven't heard any Tekton's, but I would like to someday.

Lin

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 03/03/13 at 06:39:07

Quote:
Hipfan
Anyone here driving the Tekton Lore speaker?

That's what I was going to suggest, I haven't heard the Lore's in person yet, but I have been hearing really good things about the Lore range AND they are very efficient @ 8 Ohms and 98dB.  He's a one man show though and they seem to take between 3-4 weeks to have them built.

Eric Alexander (Tekton Designer and Owner) just came out with a new speaker called the "Enzo" which is going for $2000 and he is patenting some technology used within it.

I don't know if you've ever read the Tekton Pendragon Review in Home Theater Review, but you would swear that the author of this article found the holy grail in speakers.  And according to Eric the Enzo are going to best the Pendragons and smoke anyone else's speakers within its price range (hyperbole included Smiley), but reading the other reviews ... I am really looking forward to a review on those as well.

Tektons are not as sexy as Zu's offerings, but I think the price point for Tektons (in general) are better.

« Last Edit: 03/03/13 at 06:43:31 by beowulf »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #18 - 03/03/13 at 13:35:33

I've been running HR-1s and ERRs. I've tried (just because they were around, how can I resist?) a pair of heavy '60s Knight Audio speakers, My RL-2 Decware speakers, and a pair of B&O speakrs. The Torii has the cojones to bring out the best in all of them.

I waffle between deciding the HR-1 and the ERR are the best with the Torii. Overall the HR-1s give the best traditional stereo presentation, with stronger bass, more clearly delinieated imaging and a taller soundstage. The ERR however have to my ears a more tangible imaging and a more immersive staging and to my ears gives a slightly less "processed" vibe to recordings, more "real" in that it's just an inch closer to the way I hear music performed by humans and not reproduced via a stereo system.

I would second Greg's suggestion to save up for the ERR.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
opnlybafld
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 03/03/13 at 14:40:29

I like the ERRs, but as a person that primarily listens to rock I would not recommend them as the 1st (only?) system speaker.

Lin

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #20 - 03/03/13 at 15:39:24

Hmmm. . . that's maybe room/system specific as I have no problems with rock on my system with ERRs.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Hipfan

Reply #21 - 03/03/13 at 16:24:39

In hindsight, I never should have mentioned Rock. Sure, I listen to Queen and Zep, but artists like Neil Young would be more along to the lines of the rock I listen to most frequently. I also want to get into some Jazz and Blues. There is so much great music out there and I need to broaden my listening habits. I REALLY like what I've read about Tekton and the Lore specifically and plan to give Eric a call on Monday, to learn more.

Torii MK3, Icon Audio PS2, Rega P5, azur 640C V2, Klipsch Forte II (Crites), PS Audio Duet, MAC cabling
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 03/03/13 at 21:23:45

Quote:
Hipfan
I REALLY like what I've read about Tekton and the Lore specifically and plan to give Eric a call on Monday, to learn more.

While you have him on the phone, ask him about the Enzo and what types of things he is patenting for it, I would be interesting to hear about that as well!   Smiley

I believe I read somewhere that Eric said the Lores compete with Zu at the Omen Def/Soul Superfly level ... I would be interested to hear if he thinks that is true as both of those Zu models get pretty good reviews, however the Lore is less than 1/3 the cost!

IP Logged
opnlybafld
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 03/03/13 at 21:57:44

A little info on the Tekton Enzo:

http://www.hionhifi.com/tekton-design-enzo-preview/

I don't get the 3 tweeter thing, it should cause more problems than it solves. Huh

« Last Edit: 03/03/13 at 21:59:56 by opnlybafld »  
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 03/03/13 at 22:30:06

Quote:
opnlybafld
I don't get the 3 tweeter thing, it should cause more problems than it solves.

Yes, I'm not sure what's going on with that either ... I guess we'll wait and see how they review.  These may or may not be the ones that were mentioned in the comments section for the Home Theater Review of the Pendragons where the reviewer said there will be a new Tekton benchmark, but at a higher cost then the Pendragons ... So, unless Eric found a way to make them come in at a lesser price, then the Enzo's may not be the ones mentioned there. Smiley

There is also a guy named Mike Clark that posted saying he is using the Decware SE84C+ with the Lore, so ... looks like that combo is being used with great results ... by the way the reviewer Andrew Robinson said he is a Decware fan as well!  

OK so cool points all around for Decware and Tekton   Smiley

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 03/04/13 at 02:43:04

With respect to the doubt expressed about the ERR, Lon wrote:

Quote:
Hmmm. . . that's maybe room/system specific as I have no problems with rock on my system with ERRs.

I listen to a lot of rock, and I listen loud in a large room with cathedral ceilings. My daughters and I like to turn the lights off, and watch the tubes glow while listening to Fleetwood Mac live, Eagles, The Who, the Allman Brothers Band, and of late, Humble Pie. That's not all we listen to, of course, but it is a sampling of old school rock, and then for newer stuff, we have Linkin Park, Black-Eyed Peas, and the like. The ERRs do just fine with this stuff, as well as with classical, jazz, etc. I have owned significantly more expensive speakers in my life, and larger and smaller, none overall quite as satisfying. I have a pair of HR-1s on order, and the back & forth that Lon has expressed is something I am looking forward to.

Not trying to "sell" anyone on the ERRs, just reporting my experience.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
opnlybafld
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 03/04/13 at 03:09:14

No right or wrong, just different opinions from different people.
Compared to other Decware speakers just my opinion and I know I'm not alone.

Hipfan has clarified his thoughts so it is immaterial to this thread now anyhow.

Lin

« Last Edit: 03/04/13 at 03:28:16 by opnlybafld »  
  IP Logged
Hipfan

Reply #27 - 03/04/13 at 04:10:47

HR-1's are out of the question because I just don't have that kind of dough. I may still end up ordering the MG944's and bite the bullet on the wait time...we'll see. Many thanks again to all who took the time to reply...it's a great community here Smiley

IP Logged
opnlybafld
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 03/04/13 at 21:48:02

PR,

Do you run subs with the ERRs for music?

My assumption was that given the stated budget suggested speakers would be used by themselves if priced at (or above) the limit.

Lin

« Last Edit: 03/05/13 at 21:18:46 by opnlybafld »  
  IP Logged
Hipfan

Reply #29 - 03/14/13 at 22:52:19

So I've decided to go with Zu. I spoke with Sean (great guy) and he is going to build me a custom Omen "Dirty Weekend" set of speakers. They will be an Omen Def cabinet/configuration with high output Soul Superfly drivers, plus tweeters featuring the Mundorf Silver Oil caps with high-pass values to match with the Omen Def with HO drivers.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print