07/31/14 at 16:49:47

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
pre amp my super zen (Read 4270 times)
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Re: pre amp my super zen
Reply #15 - 11/16/13 at 12:07:28

I was not going to comment on this BUT, WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO USE THE SUPERZEN  WITH ANYTHING BUT ITSELF. these other guys won't say anything, yes abomination!!!!!!!!!!  I'm using the Oppo cdp 103, and Decware cd200i ZCD with audio nirvana in 2.8 cabinets and planet 10 frugalhorns, with the Enabled fostex fe126en's . Drives these speakers easlily

IP Logged
phil
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 11/16/13 at 14:25:07

Well Jameskk,the original post was awhile back and my reason for preamping,like I said in the post was the room is poor for acoustics .18 ft. ceiling ,lots of bouncing around so it just swallowed up the low end.However,since that post I have added a HSU mid bass module,no more preamping.
The HSU covers the area the upper low end just like I wanted.Huge difference in soundstage.
Got the idea from DBC and stone of tone in these forums.
Room treatment is not happening with the spouse.

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 11/17/13 at 21:00:07

phil,

Glad to hear you are having success with the Mid Bass Module. How long have you had it? Any difficulty getting it to integrate seamlessly with your system / room? Where did you end up placing it in your room?

I have the Super Zen and adding the MBM made everything sound so much more powerful (not just the lowest frequencies) in my system / room. You commented "Huge Difference In Soundstage". Can you expand on this a bit more?

I'm just curious how the MBM sounds in different systems / rooms.

DBC

Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CKC amp, Klipsch RF-7 mains, HSU MBM-12 MK2 mid bass module, HSU ULS-15 sub
  IP Logged
phil
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 11/18/13 at 12:14:12

DBC,I guess it's been about 3 months since purchase.Yes, major difference.Like I said before the room sucks for sound.
18ft. ceiling 12ft.wide 32ft.long sloping down to one end.System is super zen.Oppo bdp95 ,MG945 speakers.
The sweet spot in this room was at the far end from my setup,sounded fabulous there.But I don't want to stand at one end of the room to listen to music.So enter the bass mod.It sets right next to the MG's and is connected as per your instructions from the zen.I can sit anywhere in the room now and enjoy the music as it should be.Truly amazing the information that is in the upper low end,and this system is also used for home theatre.I'm not really a sub-woofer kinda guy,don't need explosions to rattle the house, the mid bass covers enough low end for movies and fills in nicely for the music.I like the fact that you can dial in the freq. although I generally keep it at 150hz and volume set at half.Seems to work fine for most everything.Now since it's down firing into the carpet this concerned me a bit.I placed it on a board but that didn't seem to make a difference,I may experiment with that more in the future.
By the way,thanx for turning me on to this.
Phil

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 11/19/13 at 00:56:29

Phil,

Thanks for the response. Sounds like your setup and resulting Mid Bass Module performance is similar to what I have experienced despite vastly different room dimensions (impressive). I also have the very simple Oppo - SuperZen - Loudspeaker audio chain.

Some years ago I purchased a Decware Preamp in an attempt to add more weight to the music. The preamp helped some but ultimately it was the Mid Bass Module that extended the soundstage beyond all of my expectations.

The SuperZen is a great little amp and coupled with the MBM produces a much bigger sound than it's meager 2 watt's would suggest. Glad the MBM was a success for you. I hope our positive experience with this product will encourage others to give it a try.

Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CKC amp, Klipsch RF-7 mains, HSU MBM-12 MK2 mid bass module, HSU ULS-15 sub
  IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 11/19/13 at 14:37:05

Yes there it is a very large room for 2 watts, my room is a mere 9x13 x 8 high. understand the acoustic problem now , well not a problem , just a better solution which you took care of.....

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print