Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
12/20/14 at 18:56:40

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Excellent Promo on PS Audio PWD (Read 17447 times)
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Excellent Promo on PS Audio PWD
02/15/13 at 15:51:23

PS Audio is offering quite the promo on their PerfectWave DAC w/ Bridge.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Re: Excellent Promo on PS Audio PWD
Reply #1 - 02/16/13 at 01:42:44

I know it's a cool piece of equipment and all, but it's still pretty expensive even with the trade in!

Is there anything a PWD can do that an Oppo BDP-105 can't do?  For about the same price you could get a Modwright modded out Oppo BDP-105 (not to mention it is a universal disc player) and from what I'm hearing this thing is super musical with the tube setup ... I think Modwright really ups the ante here.

Tube mod includes:

• Total redesign and replacement of single-ended and fully balanced output stage with our own tube analog stage (6SN7 driver tubes).
  • External PS (new design) with one rectifier (5AR4, GZ34, 5U4, 5V4 and equivalents) and two voltage regulator tubes (13EM7,12EM7 and suitable subs.)
  • ‘Truth’ umbilical of our own design.
  • Upgraded Cardas GRFA series RCA’s for stereo outs.
  • Upgraded Furutech cryo-treated IEC.
  • Highest Quality resistors in key signal path applications.
  • All signal wire = 99.9999% pure, cryo-treated solid-core silver wire from Cardas metals.
  • Upgrades to internal stock power supplies (Linear power supply replacement for stock SMPS not included )
  • Damping mods for chassis and transport.
  • External supply available with optional ‘Hole’ to allow for use of taller, larger diameter tubes other than 5AR4/GZ34 (just ask).

This is a set of kick-a$$ upgrades to an already great player right out of the box as it is ... and can replace at least 3 pieces of equipment in your A/V rack.

« Last Edit: 02/16/13 at 01:47:01 by beowulf »  
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/16/13 at 03:04:27

Beowulf, I think that is a fair question, but having decided not to go down the Modwright path myself, I can only tell you this: it is simply not the same quality of DAC.  And it's not because of the audio out section, and all the marketing-buzzwords quoted above. The Oppo is a very good DAC at a great price point, with a very good audio out section, and I have zero doubt that the mods will improve the audio, and certainly give it a "tube sound," whatever that may be. But for my signal extractor, I don't want any euphonic-buzzword sound modification. I want the bits extracted, preferably jitter-free. That is what the PWD does. And on the network, it does it significantly better than the Oppo. Hey Oppo, you do know AIFF files are pretty common, right?

I used to own several pieces of Van Alstine audio. What they did with a variety of OEM equipment was amazing. I am sure the Modwright mods extract the most out of the audio section in the Oppo, and then do whatever you want with the tubes they or you put in the socket. And if someone told me I could only have one front end for my entire system, I would definitely choose the Oppo [as I essentially did], and I might consider the Modwright mods, maybe, because not having heard one yet—as I gather you haven't either—I cannot actually attest to the quality of the improvement. I just know the Oppo is more than good enough, if I only could have one source component, and, as you point out, it is a disc player as well, and it is multi-channel. The PWD offers none of that.

But I do know this. I just got done this evening listening to some Redbook from the Oppo directly into my Torii, and then through the coax and optical outputs into the PWD. Cannot play SACD that way unfortunately. None of this is blind, of course, and it is all subject to psychoacoustic perceptions, but if I have my choice, I will play my music through the PWD.

There are no doubt folks who would disagree with that assessment, but all I can tell you is that, as an enthusiastic Oppo owner [both 95 and 105], the DAC is just not in the same league. And the Modwright mods don't change that, nor do they pretend to.

We're fortunate that we have so many choices in front of us, because none of us has to convince anyone. We all get to make our choices from an open market. And I completely agree with you that the PWD is not inexpensive, even with the trade-in. But if one settles on a PWD, and is in the market, there is nothing wrong with saving $1800.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/16/13 at 07:35:46

Speaking to someone that has both pieces of equipment I value you opinion on the differences.

And I agree about the AIFF, that is a shortcoming ... since AIFF has been out for a while it had to have been a conscious decision to leave it out and who knows why a machine that can do so many things would go and leave an important format such as AIFF out of the loop is beyond me Sad

Either way I guess you couldn't go wrong, but for pure value I would have to give the BDP-105 the edge, but then again I've never had the pleasure to hear the PWD.  I thnk if they could get that down to a more reasonable price level it would be a better bargain ... yes I am a cheap bastard   Smiley

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/16/13 at 16:42:23

Beowulf, on pure value, it is a no-brainer. As I said above, and in the thread on $1000 DACs, it is near impossible to beat the Oppo as a single source unit. On that basis, the PWD doesn't even come close. With or without mods. And the nice thing about the Oppo is that the mods can always be added later as budget permits. Even a used PWD is typically going to cost twice the new stock Oppo. And if I was starting out, I would start with the Oppo, no question about it. But if someone is already considering a PWD, they should think hard about the promo.  Once you're in the market, it's a heckuva deal.

Still trying to decide whether to keep my BDP-95. Know anyone who wants a good starter universal disc player? Wink

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #5 - 02/16/13 at 17:20:02

I agree that the Oppos are great bargains. I've heard a 93 and a 95SE and they sound good, but I preferred my then source (Sony SCD-XA5400ES) for SACD and Redbook, and then moved to the PWD then upgraded that, and the PWD was so much better a source (and also preamp) than the SCD-XA5400ES. . . . The Digital Lens in there alone makes a significant difference, and the output stage is excellent. I think the PWD Mk II is in another league, and ought to be, it's frickin' expensive.

« Last Edit: 02/16/13 at 17:24:04 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/16/13 at 17:40:45

This may be irrelevant as my Oppo is old. I have and Oppo 83 modded by Ric Schultz in 2009. Took out a bunch of unnecessary circuit stuff, new output section, damping, better RCAs, cap changes...can't recall all he did but it was around 500-600 in mods. And Granted this is an old Oppo. But the sound is not even close to my Tranquility DAC in any way......If the Oppo were my main player, my system would not be all that amazing, in fact mediocre by comparison. But then, Oppo has come a long way since then...so I can't say not having heard the newer players.

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-6, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 02/16/13 at 18:07:56

Will, the 95/105 series are, in my view, on an entirely different plane in audio quality, and the DAC sections are years ahead of the 83. Your Tranquility is bound to be much better on that basis alone. The 105 really could be your only front-end, though. At least, for a while. The problem, of course, is that the DAC technology arms race is going to obsolesce equipment rapidly, so any "investment" in non-upgradeable hardware really is just sunk cost. Sit back, enjoy what one has, until something comes along sufficiently compelling to pry open the wallet. One of the great things about our Decware equipment is that it is more resistant than most to obsolescence.

And yes, Lon, you are right, the PWD ought to be good for its price. And is. Cheesy

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/16/13 at 18:37:58

Quote:
Will, the 95/105 series are, in my view, on an entirely different plane in audio quality, and the DAC sections are years ahead of the 83. Your Tranquility is bound to be much better on that basis alone. The 105 really could be your only front-end, though.

I figured as much. Good to hear you like the 105. Interestingly, everyone raved about the 83 then the 95 and so on too. I need to hear a 105. It is odd to compare stuff with no reference between us....All I can say about the Tranquility at this point of how I have it set up, and with the upgraded output section Eric put in it many months back, is that the modded Oppo 83, a Rega Apollo and the ZDAC are not even close to the Tranquility....not even remotely in the same league. All sound good, but that last few % is worth the whole lot to me at this point.

And I see the obsilecence concept of DACs and chips...but when it is this good, it gets hard to figure that this matters in the big picture. There are always those revelations where you notice....yes, it can get better to a notable degree...but at some point it gets pretty hard to eek out. I feel like my sound is in that range now, but I have been surprised before!

Wouldn't it be fun to be able to audition a bunch of stuff in a good room together...What the Decfest is about no doubt....

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-6, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 02/16/13 at 20:39:56

Will
Quote:
But the sound is not even close to my Tranquility DAC in any way

Looks like Eric will be having a full battery powered 32/384 DAC ready in a few months that can play any resolution at native!   Smiley

Never heard a Tranquility, but there are some rave reviews about them ... the 32/384 should be stellar as well and since the only music I am collecting at this time is Hi Res and Vinyl this is another tempting product that should have a really long shelf life for them.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 02/16/13 at 20:46:11

Hey Beowulf,

Where did you gather this? I know Eric has been working to get high res going a long time. I bet it will be really good. Those guys have a good system for evaluation, for introducing new and creative stuff "outside the box" and extremely high standards.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 02/16/13 at 20:56:08

PR
Quote:
But if one settles on a PWD, and is in the market, there is nothing wrong with saving $1800.

I'm not sure if anybody is aware of this, but I was playing with the PS Audio shopping cart and put a Perfect Wave DAC AND a "B Stock" P5 and then applied the promo code "pwdtrade" and it applied that coupon towards both products for a total discount of $2000 making the total for BOTH products only $4290!

That is a significant discount considering the DAC alone is almost that much!

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 02/16/13 at 21:03:01

Will
Quote:
Where did you gather this? I know Eric has been working to get high res going a long time. I bet it will be really good. Those guys have a good system for evaluation, for introducing new and creative stuff "outside the box" and extremely high standards.

He emailed me directly last week ... it took them over 2 years to develop their current DAC, so I'm betting this one will be a top performer.  Look for some news on it in late spring/early summer from what I gather.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 02/16/13 at 22:58:47

Interesting! I have been playing phone tag with him. Had the feeling something was up. I agree. If they decide to put it out, it is very likely to be time-proof for the most part.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 02/26/13 at 16:10:11

beowulf shared:
Quote:
I'm not sure if anybody is aware of this, but I was playing with the PS Audio shopping cart and put a Perfect Wave DAC AND a "B Stock" P5 and then applied the promo code "pwdtrade" and it applied that coupon towards both products for a total discount of $2000 making the total for BOTH products only $4290!

That is a significant discount considering the DAC alone is almost that much!

That's a heckuva deal if it sticks, in effect discounting the P5 B stock even further. I will be getting a P5 shortly.

But I have also been researching DACs. I was prepared to pull the trigger on the PWD trade-in [I have a puny little computer DAC to trade in], but I realized that if there is anything missing from the PWD for me, it is the inability to play native DSD files [just like the PWT won't play SACD]. And the number of DSD-capable DACs is growing, some beneath even the price point of the discounted PWD. In fact, Teac recently released a sub-$1k DoP version [which I don't want].

Anyway, somewhere in the field between the Mytek and the Invicta, I think I am going to find my answer. Some path to resist obsolescence is nice, and most of these offer firmware upgrades, so it comes down to the reliability of the company. Right now, I am leaning toward the Invicta, in part because it gets strong grades for musicality from everyone who reviews it [am waiting to get an appointment for a listening session], and the company has excellent pedigree and reputation. The Lumin, as a network player is intriguing, but it appears to still be more a work in progress. MSB makes great stuff, but they start pushing into the price ionosphere.

And of course, all this digital good ness is destined for Decware tubes.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print