Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/19/14 at 10:50:31

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
different capacitors on tweeter? (Read 4738 times)
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Re: different capacitors on tweeter?
Reply #15 - 02/15/13 at 05:04:42

Will,  if I decide to add the bypass, I'll start off with that 10% figure.

I'm with one hundred precent, as my listening room is (for all practical purposes) the living room.  Mine also is joined to the dining/kitchen area, and is the main family hang out when the three of us are together.

It sounds like you have your system tuned to right where you want it.

Mike

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 02/15/13 at 05:30:48

Mike,

When Bob made my HR-Ones we talked about it, and they are wired with the caps and resistor outside the binding post unit, which is important for my story. So I can explore really pretty easily. I have tried all sorts of variations with all sorts of combinations, and I like them all!

I have bypassed my baseline 3.3 Mundorfs (and the 3.3 Obbligato Premiums) with .1 and .22 and .33 of different manufactures and types and all the combinations, once I got down to the company and caps types I liked, sounded really good to me. The is important too I think.

One thing that seems to work nicely is to use one cap type for the main cap and another for the bypass...once I settled on my choice (at least when I made it) for overall the best for the main cap.... the 3.3 Supreme, I would pass it with a .33, .22 or .1 Obbligato premium ....or a .33 Russian K40Y-9....or maybe a .22, or even .1 tinfoil Mundorf (ZN) for the bypass...shake it up a little with stuff that sounds good for slightly different reasons.

I don't even remember why I stopped where they are now, but I bet i would really like some earlier experiments that were 10% or less of my 3.3 original cap value.

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 03/03/13 at 20:35:30

I have some clarification to do for my confusion over the caps I used, and my comments in this thread!

Doing some cap rolling today on the HR-1s, I realize I totally screwed up. The K40Y-9 caps I mentioned as bypasses earlier appear in fact to be a .1 (point one) value after all (as I originally stated but later I edited thinking they were 1.0 [one point zero])... That they are .1 makes a lot more sense in terms of the sound, and in terms of the agreement out there that bypasses should be 10% or less of the main cap value.....

No wonder my speakers sound fairly normal...I did not have an abhorrent value of 1.0 as a bypass for a 3.3 primary cap!

Sorry for my confusion and for the confusion this may have created.

Right now I am listening to Obbligato Premium 3.3s with a Mundorf supreme .33 passed across the Obbligato and it sounds great. A bit softer, relaxed and more harmonic sounding than the Mundorf 3.3 with the .1 russian bypassing the resistor and main cap, and this is pleasant. The Mundorfs character as the main cap was great too, but a bit harder and more defined, and this was good too.

It is like tube rolling to me, it seems that as long as the caps and resistors (or tubes) are decent quality, it would be hard to go wrong...more just having subtle choices to make preference wise, and by changing things up a bit, it can awaken a slightly new way of listening and potentially new musical enjoyment.

« Last Edit: 03/03/13 at 20:36:53 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
jimfet
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 03/04/13 at 15:09:02

My MG 944's came with a Solen 2.2.  I replaced them with Jantzen Silvers of the same value.  Wow! What a difference.

Removed almost all the edge from the ribbons.  There was not much  before. Very smooth now.  More depth and air also.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 03/05/13 at 01:17:17

Jimfet,

Thanks for the tip on the Jantzens...I would like to hear those.

I just finished playing around on the HR-1s with many variations of main 3.3 caps bypassed by .1, .22, and.33s. The tweeter on the HR-1 looks just like the one on my 944s, so tonally, I believe these tests should be relevant for the 944 tweeter.

The main caps I used after eliminating Clarity SAs and Auricaps previously, are Mundorf Supreme 3.3 and Obbligato Premium 3.3s. The bypasses are Obbligato Premium .1, .22, .33, a Mundorf Supreme .33, Mundorf tinfoil .1 and .22, and last but not least NOS Russian K40Y-9 PIOs.... Their values are .1 and .33.

Though any combination of main caps and bypasses have excellent qualities and sound great, in my system there is a clear winner being the Mundorf Supreme 3.3 bypassed with the PIO K40Y-9s. These Russian caps are dirt cheap and in combination with the Supremes the sound is really sort of in another league by my tastes over any other combination or single (unbypassed) cap I have tried. The Russian and Supreme have synergy that is extremely real and alive sounding, being very detailed, but very smooth and musical, slightly rich but spacious, making the atmospheric detail very plausible and pleasurable. This in combination with the accuracy, easy flow, and impressive solidity of the Supremes...it is really pretty amazing in this room.

Another conclusion for me is that bypassing with a low value caps is a good thing to do to enliven the sound, relaxing and freshening it. This is across the board on my trials. Bypassing with any of these caps, in my system is a very good thing.

I am surprised the paper in oil K40Y-9s are not getting more discussion. I got onto them from Ron Sheldon and cryoset.com, and put them in my Torii MkIII, and I have never looked back once burnin was complete. I keep wanting to put in the Jupiter Beeswax Steve loves so much, but it sounds so good now I haven't gotten up the nerve to take the time to do it.

Anyway, I am equally enamored with them as bypasses for the Mundorf Supreme on these tweeters. Right now I have in .33s across the Supremes... but I like the lower key .1 PIO K40Y-9 in various positions just as much for the subtler, but also excellent sound they bring.

« Last Edit: 03/05/13 at 01:19:29 by will »  

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 03/05/13 at 02:25:15

For clarity of context, I also replaced the Wirewound resistors to the tweeters with Mundorf M-resistors...a very solid upgrade.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 03/05/13 at 18:04:53

Also for context, I do have a Torii MkIII....and this amp has a lot of tonal adjustability with treble cut, bass adjustment, AND 5 tube sets. So compared with Amps that don't have all this...especially the treble and bass adjustments....my flexibility gives me a lot of latitude with these tweaks.

Even so, after a few days of listening to a wider variety of music, with the tubes I have in now, I decided the .33 K40Y-9 is too high a value as a bypass, taking the highs down into the hissy/sibilance range on hot/hyped recordings. So I am back to the .1 and liking it a lot. I need to order some .22 K40Y-9s to experiment with!

Also, my speakers were optimized with 3 ohm resistors for the tweeters, and the Mundorf resistors I have are 3.3 and 2.7 ohms. With the .1 bypass, I find the lower resistance 2.7 really good pulling the tweeter a little more forward of the radial and mid/bass drivers and giving more solidity to attacks and therefore expression of dynamics throughout the frequency range.

Sorry for this "writing out loud" and wandering thread, but I hope it is useful for anyone wanting to explore cap rolling.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print