Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/19/14 at 14:51:51

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
"ADDING WEIGHT & BODY" (Read 16686 times)
DBC
Seasoned Member

Re: "ADDING WEIGHT & BODY"
Reply #90 - 01/07/14 at 22:40:40

Found this simple, crude but effective diagram on the net to help visualize ground loops. In this case two devices (amp & mixer) are connected to two different outlets going to separate breaker panels each with it's own earth ground rod. The power cord from each device has 3 conductors (Hot, Ground & Earth Ground).

In this case the the earth ground connected to the mixer has a potential of +3 volts while the amp earth ground is at 0 volts. Electrons always wanting to take the path of least resistance travel from the mixer across the audio line connection to the Amp and to Earth Ground through it's power cord.

The same problem can also occur even if Amp & Mixer are plugged into the same power strip. If power strip outlets have differing resistances to earth ground the same loop will occur. Current will flow over the audio line connection to the device with the best earth ground connection.

As a test you might try clipping one end of a test lead to the chassis of your Amp and the other end of the test lead to the chassis of your Oppo. This will provide an alternative path (between amp & oppo) for the current and will generally reduce hum if a ground loop exists. If hum is reduced it does not solve the problem but confirms a ground loop between two devices as the problem.

In the example above the ground loop would be eliminated if both devices were connected to the same ground (either one). Differences in resistance to earth ground can be caused by poor internal grounding within inexpensive power strips, poor wall outlet connections, improperly grounded wall outlets etc. For the time being I would remove any power strips and connect both devices into the same wall outlet. If the hum still exists check the wall outlet wiring & earth ground. If plugs fit loosely into the wall socket replace the wall outlet.

Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CKC amp, Klipsch RF-7 mains, HSU MBM-12 MK2 mid bass module, HSU ULS-15 sub
  IP Logged
shold350
Verified Member

Reply #91 - 01/08/14 at 01:53:25

DBC,
Thanks for all of your help on this. I am modifying my home built stand tonight and will be putting the system back together tomorrow. It will give me a chance to try some of the tips that you have given me. The hum is not noticeable when any music is on but having to turn up the volume quite a bit on some concert dvd's it is noticeable between songs. Might be too picky? Just want to get the best out of what is truly a nice sounding setup. I have about 15 to 20 hours playing time on the system and it is starting to open up I think. I am relocating my MBM from a side location to the front. This is requiring a modification to my stand but it sounds much better in the front.
If you have some tips as to posting pics on the new user forum I would like to try some. Thanks again for the advice and by the way it was your comments on the MBM that made me buy one. It was truly the icing on the cake.

Decware SE34I.3 Rachael amp, Decware ZBS source selector, Denon 300F TT with Ortofon 2M red cartridge, Oppo BDP 105,HSU Mid Bass Module 12 MK2, MG944, Decware ZSTYX speaker cables, Decware silver reference interconnects, LG 60" plasma
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #92 - 01/08/14 at 02:18:16

shold,

Because of the low output of my DVD players I ended up getting my   CSP2 and then my now three CSP2+ preamps. They really solved THAT problem, and added to the system too with weight and tonal balance that is "just right."

I know the problem you're describing well!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #93 - 01/08/14 at 14:31:09

shold350,

You are not being too picky. For comparison this morning I was playing J. Joplin on my Oppo. I hit Pause and turned the volume knob on my Super Zen all the way UP. I had to have my ear very close to the main speaker drivers to hear only the faintest of hum.

I strongly recommend you get a quality surge protection device to plug all your equipment into such as this affordable unit from Tripp Lite:

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-ISOBAR6ULTRA-Isobar-Protector/dp/B0000513US/ref...

Down the road you might want to consider an Isolation Transformer for your source components. This is basically the same unit Decware uses for their equipment demos and was recommended to me by Steve Deckert:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006HPHN/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&p...

I don't think an Isolation Transformer will solve your ground loop issue. These are used primarily to filter out noise on the incoming AC line that can induce hiss, static and hum into your source components.

If you use the Tripp Lite Isobar plug everything into that so each piece of equipment is on the same ground. The Mid Bass Module has a 2-prong plug (no earth ground) so I suggest clipping one end of a test lead to one of the MBM toggle switches and the other end to the metal case of the Isobar. This grounds the MBM amp chassis to the same ground as your other equipment.

If you do have a ground loop (60 hz hum) the MBM is very capable of making that audible. If you don't solve the Hum issue then you will only be able to set the MBM volume knob at about 30% (any higher and the bass gets boomy because of the 60 hz peak created by the ground loop). Once I solved my ground loop issue I was able to set the MBM volume at 50% with no boomy tendency. I have not touched the volume knob on my MBM for over a year now.

You are right about placement of the MBM for music. Sounds best along the front wall somewhere between the mains for best imaging when using a single MBM. Should note that once I solved my ground loop my MBM was not sensitive to placement anywhere between the mains.

Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CKC amp, Klipsch RF-7 mains, HSU MBM-12 MK2 mid bass module, HSU ULS-15 sub
  IP Logged
shold350
Verified Member

Reply #94 - 01/10/14 at 08:48:30

DBC
I ordered the TripLite surge protector today. Even if it does not cure the hum issue it looks like a good investment for protection. Thanks for the referral.
Lon
I have hopes of adding a CSP pre amp to my system someday. It will have to wait a while. I could always try to present the argument to my wife that the new surge protector will have one slot left empty on my current setup which could result an unbalanced line situation and could cause some serious damage to large investment we have made. It would be unwise not to get the CSP as another layer of protection. Unfortunately she is very intelligent and I would have no chance.

Decware SE34I.3 Rachael amp, Decware ZBS source selector, Denon 300F TT with Ortofon 2M red cartridge, Oppo BDP 105,HSU Mid Bass Module 12 MK2, MG944, Decware ZSTYX speaker cables, Decware silver reference interconnects, LG 60" plasma
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #95 - 01/10/14 at 13:13:49

s,

Yeah, I know all about having to explain and justify things to a wife. That held my system back for a long time, and when I lost her to lymphoma and MDS my system was able to grow and bloom in ways it probably never could with her around.

Still I'd rather have a boombox and VHS recorder than not have her if I had that choice! So hold your wife close and always tell her you love her! Smiley

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #96 - 01/10/14 at 16:48:47

Quote:
when I lost her to lymphoma and MDS my system was able to grow and bloom in ways it probably never could with her around.

That is probably one of the weirdest things I've ever read in any online forums, anywhere.

I'm sorry for your loss, Lon. It really sounds like you've been through a lot. - I don't think Brianne could handle any more love and kisses from me, I'm pretty sure I smother her as it is. But it's sound advice my friend.   Wink

« Last Edit: 01/10/14 at 16:49:23 by Lonely Raven »  
WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #97 - 02/04/14 at 16:23:29

shold350,

I was just curious as to any progress you may have made since your last post a couple weeks ago?

I was also interested in your impressions of the Oppo BDP-105 on music. I run the older BDP-83SE (Special Edition) directly into my Zen (no pre-amp). Have used the Decware CSP2 a couple of times but prefer the sound of my Oppo directly into the Zen amp.

Anyway, hope you are having fun with the new system.

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #98 - 02/06/14 at 00:31:51

Quote:
DBC,I guess it's been about 3 months since purchase.Yes, major difference.Like I said before the room sucks for sound.
18ft. ceiling 12ft.wide 32ft.long sloping down to one end.System is super zen.Oppo bdp95 ,MG945 speakers.
The sweet spot in this room was at the far end from my setup,sounded fabulous there.But I don't want to stand at one end of the room to listen to music.So enter the bass mod.It sets right next to the MG's and is connected as per your instructions from the zen.I can sit anywhere in the room now and enjoy the music as it should be.Truly amazing the information that is in the upper low end,and this system is also used for home theatre.I'm not really a sub-woofer kinda guy,don't need explosions to rattle the house, the mid bass covers enough low end for movies and fills in nicely for the music.I like the fact that you can dial in the freq. although I generally keep it at 150hz and volume set at half.Seems to work fine for most everything.Now since it's down firing into the carpet this concerned me a bit.I placed it on a board but that didn't seem to make a difference,I may experiment with that more in the future.
By the way,thanx for turning me on to this.
Phil

Quote from Forum Member Phil: http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1361290817/18#18

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #99 - 09/13/14 at 15:59:51

Wanted to add that placing a Sub Dude II isolation platform under my Mid Bass Modules and Sub Dude HT under my Subs really made a difference. I have a wood floor and was amazed how much energy was being transferred into the floor via the MBM & Sub enclosure feet. The floor was acting like a big radiator.

Did not think it possible to improve Bass & Mid Bass further but the isolation platforms made a very noticeable improvement (better clarity, even smoother bass). For the price I highly recommend the Auralex product on any suspended floor (carpeted or not).

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SubDudeII

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print