Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/24/14 at 21:39:11

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Alternative means for sourcing upgrade (Read 7605 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: Alternative means for sourcing upgrade
Reply #75 - 02/08/13 at 16:02:55

Yes, another reluctant fact that I've learned about audio is that cabling matters a lot. Wish I couldn't hear their benefits sometimes.  I started off small and then went large with power cords, because they really do change the sonic texture and timbres subtly to not so subtly. I have spent big dollars on power cords but they're long-lived products, and I simply prioritize my spending on stereo stuff and music and damn the tropedos, something I can do without a wife and with (still, somehow) some money in the bank.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #76 - 02/08/13 at 16:35:27

Good for you, Lon. I'm also getting more involved in this hobby since having retired, and it is very exciting.

I received another mail from McGowan, stating the Dectet is also a surge, spike and voltage variation protector too, so it seems this is a strong candidate (also one of your suggestions).

Shame I would have to put the isolation transformer in the closet and the combined cost of the two devices would have bought me a better power conditioner.  :(

Power cables are another PIA for me. No technical handle works here either, and the choices are innumerable. Costs could also become quite steep.

I still need to upgrade my speaker cables someday, as these are entry-level Kimber Kables, a far cry from the ZStyx's, for example.

But, I basically just started, and I'll take it one day at a time  :)

« Last Edit: 02/08/13 at 16:41:49 by Fireblade »  

Laptop-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct//WD 2.0Tb HDD//Audio Gd USB cable//Audio Gd NFB 3 (2014) DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish Pwr Cord
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #77 - 02/08/13 at 16:59:23

Sure thing HPDJ. Look forward to sharing.

To those considering power upgrades, note that Music Direct has an excellent buy on a PS Audio B Stock P5 Power Plant. A very good buy.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #78 - 02/08/13 at 17:19:51

I forgot that my Duets are surge protector devices (MOV based) and the Dectet is supposed to be an improved model by NOT using MOVs. I bet these are great units.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #79 - 02/08/13 at 20:24:16

Getting back to my original question, what would be the benefits or drawbacks of pairing my Mini-Torii with, say, the CSP2+?

I know a forum member (Hank) last year posted on using his Mini with a CSP2 to get more 'oomph' from the Mini. Small powered amps have two limitations, volume and 'oomph' (or whatever you want to call it).

The loudness or SPL is a matter of choosing the adequate speaker specs and listening room area volume. The second attribute is more tricky, I think. It is a combination of recording/sourcing quality and the amp's built-in 'pep' or dynamics or headroom or whatever you may call it.

IMHO, it should never be a bad thing to boost the Mini Torii's 'oomph' via an added preamplifier, just to ride the gain when necessary. This can really boost the dynamics and sense of power under the same conditions, thanks to a power reserve on the input side.

Steve has written somewhere here that this could be a better way to improve your sourcing. Typically, this is ideal in the case of, say, a Superzen, as it is even less powerful than the Mini. But, as everything is relative, any amp can benefit (IMO) from this concept.

Of course, there would be some preamp duplication in the Mini's case, and one would be better off maybe just not buying the Mini and instead getting a Torii (adding the cost of both components is more or less in the same ballpark).

But in my case, I don't need more volume or power, just would like to have more 'oomph'. A DAC upgrade would provide better resolution, but not 'oomph.' My resolution levels are fine (especially after some useful tube-rolling), I just would like to boost that sound a bit in some recordings that are yelling to be played with power reserve so it can show it's recording dynamics.

There are also other recordings calling for the opposite, in which case the gain game can be reversed with the result of leaning out a too constipated or boomy sound.

Anyways, this is what I was aiming to discuss originally in this thread, as alternatives 2a & 2b. Which is also why I've always liked the ZStage concept (as some of you may recall from earlier threads, even before my Mini had arrived  :)  ).

I know I need to fix power conditioning and vibration issues first, but I'd like to have my long-term plan complete, so I can start working in that direction.

Any comments?

« Last Edit: 02/08/13 at 20:35:52 by Fireblade »  

Laptop-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct//WD 2.0Tb HDD//Audio Gd USB cable//Audio Gd NFB 3 (2014) DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish Pwr Cord
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #80 - 02/09/13 at 20:48:38

Ok, my current upgrading plan:

Short-Term:

- Last tube-rolling stage (a few more 12AU7/12AT7 choices)
- Vibration control (Iso-Cups, Fat and Square Dots)
- Power conditioning (Mini-Buss or Dectet)

Mid-Term:

- DAC upgrade (Concero or equivalent)
- Speaker Cables upgrade (ZSTYX)

Long-Term:

- ZStage or CSP2+, for Riding-the-Gain 'oomph!'
- Move my listening to a spare room, with absorbing materials

There, this ought to take my sound quality level to a higher order of magnitude.   Wink

Right now, my system sounds delicious, and the only thing I miss a bit is the 'oomph!' in some classical music passages recorded with high dynamics.

Short-term measures will produce overall tangible results.

Mid-term ones will contribute with higher resolution and transparency levels.

Long-term upgrades should increase dynamics (oomph!) and overall sound quality.  

Now is a matter of keep saving towards each consecutive stage. This hobby is exciting!

« Last Edit: 02/10/13 at 20:28:12 by Fireblade »  

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #81 - 02/13/13 at 18:23:56

FWIW, and apologies for the self-promotion, I posted an IC in Classifieds on one of my PS Audio Power Plant Premiers.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #82 - 02/14/13 at 01:07:29

No sweat, but unfortunately it's still out of my league at this point.

« Last Edit: 02/14/13 at 01:07:54 by Fireblade »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print