Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/24/14 at 08:58:44

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Alternative means for sourcing upgrade (Read 7580 times)
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Alternative means for sourcing upgrade
Reply #45 - 02/07/13 at 04:58:10

FB,

You may not need what Lon an Greg need, or you may. Both are in big city areas if I am not mistaken and may have noisy lines. I had good results with just a Brickwall for audio for noise, but my power was apparently good. The Uber does more conditioning proportionate to price increase, and it does have a very dynamic and organic/transparent sound to me.

Quote:
In the meantime, I'll try to contact Dave at Uber-Line, for some orientation.

Sounds like a good idea. These are not surge suppressors. You definitely have EMF and RFI if there are electric things in your house, and a fair bit of it. Do some googling.

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #46 - 02/07/13 at 11:37:06

Is there any way to get this Dave's mail address?  I looked all over the Uber-line sites, without any luck.  If someone has it, I would really appreciate it.

I need to choose between Dectet (PS Audio) and Mini-Buss (PI Audio). Thanks!

Laptop-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct//WD 2.0Tb HDD//Audio Gd USB cable//Audio Gd NFB 3 (2014) DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish Pwr Cord
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 02/07/13 at 15:11:02

FB,

I left out something important. I had gotten a EMI filter from Alan Maher early on and still use it. It is a little plugin black box that cost a little over 100 some years ago. It has a little circuit board in it that is supposed to clean up the power lines and the room EMI. I found it to clean up the sound quite notably.

Also, I started out with some of his little boxes of crystal rock that is treated somehow. Apparently they act as little semi-conducters, pulling noise off the wires in the house. I got 4 for 100 and put two on the mains lines coming into the house, one on the circuit breaker for my music, and one at the outlet for the audio. These were notable too after they settled in a day.

Later I got a schumman resonator unit from KEMP (200) which also made a notable change in cleanliness and sound stage.

So the brickwall and these really cleaned up my sound a lot.

Have you checked out http://bluecircle.com/index.html

I almost got a "thingy" once or a "sillycone" filter. There was a Positive Feedback issue some years back that reviewed a bunch of cheaper power cleaners, and I found Blue there.

You can reach Dave at dgelledges@msn.com

« Last Edit: 02/07/13 at 15:14:01 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #48 - 02/07/13 at 15:36:29

Hubert,
Here is an idea to try with your Trapeziums....Buy a couple of small cutting boards that the Traps could sit on. This will emulate the desk top, keeping the port in tacked. Then you can uses your Herbies, or whatever else you want to use under the cutting boards.

Just a thought...

Zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
HPDJ

Reply #49 - 02/07/13 at 17:43:10

Hey guys,

Lon, I have not tried grungebuster dots, but maybe those in conjunction with what Bob is suggesting with the cutting boards under the Trap's would be a good idea...

Will, I still have not been able to demo the UberBuss with my system yet...I've been trying to schedule with the company (Swap Meet Audio) here in NY and haven't heard back from them in a few days. I guess I'll have to give them another ring :/

Oh and also, I wasn't thinking that I'd use stands on my desk, I was originally thinking that I'd get stands that stood on either side of the desk about as tall as the level I have the Trap's at right now...but maybe it will be easier to try something like Bob is suggesting first Smiley

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #50 - 02/07/13 at 18:08:54

Got you on the stands...Seems Bob's thought could offer subtle placement flexibility. I use grungebuster material in a number of places. Might just do it for the cutting boards. Steve would certainly have input on that. You can get a small sheet of the grundgebuster pretty reasonably and cut as desired to get loads if dots of coverage. I swear, you should be able to hear cable differences and so on with your setup.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 02/07/13 at 18:12:53

Also, unless you are trying a seasoned one, for me, the Uber showed itself right off, but took a long time to really bring out the serious beauty it can bring...so expect some real improvement over time. And it is best plugged straight into the wall into a good audio receptacle. I use a Furutech FP15A-Cu which sounds awesome.

IP Logged
HPDJ

Reply #52 - 02/07/13 at 18:37:54

Yes I have an avatar acoustics power outlet that I connect a VH Audio Hot Box power strip to...I thought all this would be enough, but the missing points are better power cords on the amp/source equipment and some power conditioning..

The UberBuss I audition should be very well seasoned because it will be the same unit they have been using for in-home demos for a while Smiley

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 02/07/13 at 18:57:46

Right so it will be interesting to experiment with the VH strip...see if has a signature or not. I really like all the kit wires I have made from
Chris's stuff.

With my Uber, I did run through a Brickwall, for the switch convenience and surge suppression. Once well seasoned, for me the Uber in the wall straight is better....the Brickwall does have a sound...feeling suppressed in subtle (but important) detail, organic tones, dynamics and the lot finally. Dave's cords of course excel in front too, but other good cables sound good too..just not quite as good to me, again in the the many subtle ways.

« Last Edit: 02/07/13 at 18:59:32 by will »  

IP Logged
HPDJ

Reply #54 - 02/07/13 at 21:07:38

It will be good to experiment with the Hotbox and the Uber, I agree Smiley

Which on of Daves Power Cords do you have? Did you have a chance to try some different ones before settling on his cords?

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 02/07/13 at 21:29:09

I actually have both. I had gotten one to try from Eric Hider (Tranquility) designed for the Tranquility and liked it a lot. When I got the Uber, Dave sent his 10 gauge cable of the time for me to try. I am thinking it was pretty new then or in development (or is Dave just a really nice guy....or both) and he gave me a great price. I loved it right off, especially to the Tranquility. So I later added a ground wire (with Dave's advice on how) to the Tranquility cable making it I believe like Dave's less costly cable and am using that for the Uber (I put on a copper Furutech IEC and Plug on it too). It is lighter gauge than the other but sounds great with my relatively low power system!

I have home assembled cables...VHAudio both recipes (I used the heavy duty one with gold plated Furutech IEC and plug for the Uber for a while), in the matrix I like the cryo-parts one I made with copper Furutech ends best for my Torii MkIII, I also have one made up cable demo stock by Alan Maher to the TV and a MAC HC that goes to my Oppo...nice cords, but I prefer the home-mades.

It is cool though, with the lot, I have been able to optimize the synergy with cable rolling...they all have different attributes that they excel at, and this is a great thing I think.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #56 - 02/07/13 at 22:05:11

Got a reply from PS Audio CEO, McGowan: He recommends to have my Isolation Transformer in series with his Dectet for better results (I guess, mains noise and surge protection from the Transformer and RFI/EMI suppression from the Dectet.)

I'm thinking if Dave (PI Audio) has a similar reply, I'll go with the Mini-Buss instead, given the almost half price difference.

Will, there are so many gizmos and theories out there, my head spins. There's no way to try them all or prove anything, and the task is very subjective. I think you have over-killed the issue, and that's fine, but is really difficult to find a really optimal solution in this case.

I don't think I'm going to escalate the rolling to include power cords also, but that's just me.  :)

Laptop-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct//WD 2.0Tb HDD//Audio Gd USB cable//Audio Gd NFB 3 (2014) DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish Pwr Cord
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #57 - 02/07/13 at 22:22:52

Interesting. The Duets and isolation transformers didn't work too well for me, when I removed the transformers everything was improved. The Dectet IS differently constructed (reportedly improved) so perhaps they'd work quite well.

will, the MAC HC cord I have took AGES to really break in, when it did it sounded much better than it did even after more than a month. I use it now with my bass guitar amp, WHOA!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #58 - 02/07/13 at 22:44:06

Lon,

The norm is to use at minimum an Isolation Transformer. Maybe yours was not in good order, or something else in the system/house was counterproductive to it, but I've had no issues with it and it is designed for mains noise suppression and surge protection, aside from providing a dedicated circuit to the system.

I dig the concept of power regeneration, and someday I may save enough to get me one of those devices with it. In the meantime, I know my only uncertainty is whether I'm a victim of RFI/EMI to a tangible level, so I'm considering adding this ulterior filtering to my Isolation Transformer, and call it a day for now.

I also need vibration control to some basic extent, so it seems now I agree with you, Lon, on both upgrading priorities.   Smiley

« Last Edit: 02/07/13 at 22:47:05 by Fireblade »  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #59 - 02/07/13 at 23:17:29

The isolation transformers I used are functioning properly, and were the Tripplite models Steve suggested. Don't know why, but they don't work as well as any other power solution I've tried. Two others here have noted similar problems. Perhaps the "consensus" isn't as consolidated. I don't believe everything I read on the web, and it's interesting that I'm not alone at having issues when used with Decware components.

Anyway, hope you continue to find improvements! My biggest hope for improvement is my next domicile. . . I know what it is now and it seems promising, likely to yield better sound than my pier and beam house.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print