Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/14 at 02:47:27

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Alternative means for sourcing upgrade (Read 5712 times)
kiwidave
Verified Member

Re: Alternative means for sourcing upgrade
Reply #15 - 02/04/13 at 08:27:15

Hi Fireblade

I own the same DAC as you but I feed it into a Tori MkIII and then into some Decware DNA horns.

Similar to you I believe the DAC was extremely good value for money when I bought it but that was before I got my Decware and now it is definitely the weak link and needs upgrading.  I'm looking for a bigger sound stage and more balls.  I also want improved connectivity options from my home network.

So... I've just pulled the trigger on the PS Audio Mk II with bridge.  Given the cost, I am not expecting to upgrade my DAC again.   Delivery will probably take a few weeks (I live a long way from the US) but you said you're not in a hurry so I can compare it to the MS II+ when it arrives and let you know what an extreme upgrade to that DAC does...

Cheers
Dave

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #16 - 02/04/13 at 11:48:13

kiwidave, thanks for your input.

I understand your situation perfectly, and agree we are kind of in the same boat.  I'm convinced the DAC needs to be upgraded, but given the high obsolescence rates in DAC technology, I'd not invest that much in those, as there are new, improved releases coming out all the time, at lower cost.

The DAC you just ordered is one of the top ones, congrats. I'm afraid it's a little out of my league, given its cost. I'm looking into a more modest model, the Resonessence Concero, which has had great reviews and I think fits my needs right on.

I'll be looking forward to your feedback on the sound changes you'll achieve with such an upgrade, but I'm convinced already it is going to be absolutely incredible. There are experienced forum members enjoying this DAC model and they have reported wonderful performance from it. I also understand it is upgradeable thanks to its modular design.

The combination of Concero plus a preamp like the CSP2+, or even the ZStage, is IMO a powerful, more comprehensive system upgrade and at a fraction of the cost of the PS Audio DAC. Come a year or two, I can always upgrade the Concero with the leading newcomer in that price bracket, and still beat obsolescence.  Of course, the Concero willl never be at PS Audio DAC's resolution levels, but fits a more modest budget.

Eventually, I may even be able to add some kind of AC power conditioning component, as it seems many experienced audiophiles swear by them.

Cheers,
David.

« Last Edit: 02/04/13 at 11:51:10 by Fireblade »  

Laptop-Foobar2000-Wasapi Ev//WD 1.5Tb HDD//Audioquest Forest USB cbls//HRT MS II+ USB-DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish P. Cord
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #17 - 02/04/13 at 12:04:32

Congrats on the Mk II! I think you'll be very happy.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 02/04/13 at 14:10:45

Congrats Dave. A very fine DAC indeed. I believe you will be very pleased.

Fireblade, you are so right about cleaning up the power. I am one of the ones that swears by that.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #19 - 02/04/13 at 17:20:55

Thanks, Pale Rider.

Although it has been difficult to accept, Lon's conviction as well as other testimonials in the media have started to make me reconsider.

The problem is there is a dichotomy between gadgets that are essentially a fancy strip distributor and real power processing devices. The latter are much more expensive (I would even dare to say prohibitively overpriced), and this becomes a barrier for many newcomers to the power cleansing mentality.

There are limited ways to check or review these items, and at least technically, the cheaper ones do not seem to be making much inside those small boxes.

I'd love to find a middle of the road version with enough engineering behind it to at least make me believe I'm buying value added, even if it is not the best.

It's either spending a small fortune on a PS Audio regeneration type device, or spending less money for something I'm not convinced is going to do much. I don't seem to find a middle of the road compromise yet.

For example, the Dectet from PS, which seems affordable, is not too convincing when one reads their description. There are few reviews on these lesser devices also. Trying some of them first would be nice, but I cannot do that where I live.

But, the bug is in my mind already, and along with vibration control, I will address these intangible issues eventually.

Laptop-Foobar2000-Wasapi Ev//WD 1.5Tb HDD//Audioquest Forest USB cbls//HRT MS II+ USB-DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish P. Cord
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #20 - 02/04/13 at 19:21:01

Well Greg and I bought Power Plant Premiers for a grand or so which is not pie in the sky audio money, and I for one will say that they are worth every penny and more, even improving on the bedrock that the PS Audio Duets had given my system as a foundation. I see deals like this often enough. . . I'd save up, and again it's a really good "next move" for you, may make more bang for your system than a thousand dollar DAC will.

But enough said, however you invest, you are going to reap the rewards through the MT and DM45s.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 02/04/13 at 21:32:11

Not sure if you listen to CD's and SACD's (agree Lon classical in SACD format is something special) you may want to look at the OPPO line, decent DAC and great CD, SACD playback, you can stream Pandora and use for great 2 channel stereo when watching DVD's.  If you are looking at the power plants check out upscaleaudio.com they have what seems like a great deal going (no affiliation).  Noted that I don't listen to any music via computer etc. so my DAC knowledge is rather limited.

JD

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #22 - 02/04/13 at 22:57:53

I understand, Lon, but today the cheapest PS plant is $2,500.00, and that is a lot of dough for me.

We'll keep looking around, and I may find something more affordable and hopefully good enough.

Thanks for the advice

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #23 - 02/04/13 at 23:05:04

Thanks for your input, JD.

I do stream exclusively through my laptop, and I've ripped all my collection of CD's, so there's no turning back given the advantages involved. IMO, a good computer setup, coupled with a class 'A' DAC is potentially a better source in the long run (unless you invest mega bucks in a top of the line Transport/DAC combo.)

I will check your tip on Upscale Audio for possible opportunities, thanks!

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 02/04/13 at 23:19:40

Fireblade, the current Power Plants are indeed a bit pricier, but it is worth it to check B stock at both PS Audio and at Music Direct. Also, a saved search on fleabay can be very useful here, as is a saved google search for places like Audiogon. That's how I found mine. The PPPs are getting harder to find, but worthwhile.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #25 - 02/05/13 at 00:38:16

Thanks for the tip, Pale Rider.  I'll sure look into those.

IP Logged
HPDJ

Reply #26 - 02/05/13 at 01:13:48

Fireblade,

I'm auditioning a PI Audio UberBuss in the next few days (free in home audition) and will report back on my findings to what it does to my desktop system Smiley

-H

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 02/05/13 at 02:00:05

JD

Quote:
Not sure if you listen to CD's and SACD's (agree Lon classical in SACD format is something special) you may want to look at the OPPO line, decent DAC and great CD, SACD playback, you can stream Pandora and use for great 2 channel stereo when watching DVD's.

+1 for the Oppo, the BDP-105 is the front end to a great Music Server, it has excellent universal disc playback (Blu-Ray, SACD, DVDA, etc.) and it has asynchonous 32 bit DAC's (2 of them ... one for 7.1 surround and one for 2 channel stereo), it can stream either ethernet or wireless, USB, Pandora, NetFlix, etc., etc. the list goes on and on.

And the BDP-105 is only $1,199.00 ... to me this is a great bargain considering what you are getting as I heard it has stellar performance just in the disc playback alone, let alone 2 SOTA DACs and all the other stuff.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #28 - 02/05/13 at 02:34:38

HPDJ, thanks for your input.

I'll look forward to your report. What's the difference between the UberBuss and the MiniBuss (I mean, in terms of current handling, etc.?)

There's very little technical information on their site, mostly marketing/sales rhetoric.  The huge difference in price between the two models, which appear to be based on the same design, is not explicitly justified.

If the capacity of the MiniBuss is enough in my case (small amp and maybe a low current source/DAC), and if it is essentially the same design, I think the MiniBuss is the most cost effective.

Maybe once you test the UberBuss, we may figure out the difference. Thanks!

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #29 - 02/05/13 at 02:51:47

JD, thanks for your input.

I've read great things about the new generation Oppo BDP-105 (improving tangibly over a well reviewed Oppo BDP-95). But, as I said earlier, I'm not into CD/DVD/DVDA/BlueRay players, nor do I care much for multi-featured designs.

I know I could stream from the built-in USB/DACs in the Oppo and all, but I would be paying for stuff I will never use. In my case, I prefer to invest exclusively in specialized stereo sound quality, and not in other useful, but non appealing features for me.

For that kind of money, given my needs, I would be better off with a Concero DAC and a ZStage, or a good enough power conditioner, and will optimize my stereo sound investment.

It's just me, so many thanks for an otherwise very good suggestion.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print